xisto Community
BuffaloHelp

Knowledgesutra Forum Upgraded To Version 3 [resolved]

A little FYI concerning unapproved topics: The today's active content section now informs (shows) us about unapproved topics, so you can expect for your topics to be approved a whole lot quicker, assuming they are worthy of approval.

@OpaQue: You do realise that this version of IPB is the Beta RC, 3.1.0, right? Good luck with getting no bugs/issues mate. :) Always use the latest STABLE version of IP.Board until the next version comes stable.

ok, i tested the reputation thing and it works like magic Posted Image with one click on "+" sign under post and found the reputation changed in a profile, i like it. and you can't use it twice, just once for each member but maybe there's a timer or something so i will try it later.

but what about the RSS button in the main page, all the links in RSS navigate to the main page, maybe someone should check it. another thing, i tested live chat in many browsers, it gives this error " the application failed to run" in firefox 3.5.9 and internet explorer 6 and gives this error "applet not found" in opera 10.10.

also, i noticed that the log in time expired after half an hour or more with no action in the forum, and i should sign in again.

I think a lot of members are directly posting their replies to this thread without reading what the others have said - at least four members have repeated the "25 posts per day" thing :) Hmm I guess not many people have the time or patience (or both) to go through 8 pages of reports before posting theirs! I'm looking forward to the day when the default settings are changed and we get a fully customized forum!@-Sky-: I heard somewhere that even the stable versions of V3 are full of bugs? :P I dunno how far this is true though. So far except for minor hiccups nothing seems to be going on wrong over here.

Since you've tried out the Facebook Connect feature, do you know if it is possible for someone to log into Xisto with a FaceBook account but without a Xisto account? If so, do they get MyCENTs for posting messages to the forum?

you were right k_nithin_r, i could log in to the forum using facebook account (facebook email and facebook password) and i am posting now after logging in to the forum using facebook account, WOW, i am very impressed great work guys. the second great thing about connected facebook with the forum that i could open my facebook account directly without typing user name and password.

but if mycents will still work or not, i think it should be but i am not sure, since it is stopped now, so we will wait and see.

Hi!@mahesh2kThe limit on the number of posts in a day is a flood control for members who get over enthusiastic about joining the forum and get carried away and can't hold themselves back. I believe it also happens to older members when they return to the forum, but it's just something that doesn't really happen all that often.BTW, the MyCENTs scripts haven't run in a while and will be run next week, which is when you would get the MyCENTs for all the posts that you have made this week. Sure, the carrot is farther away, but at least there's a carrot to look forward to! :-P@TrueFusionI agree with you on the placement of the active content. Alternatively, the status messages of the forum members can be moved to the top because those are the only two things I'd look at when I get to the forum.@AshBashNext time, you've got to place bets. There's money to be made!If you did win a whole lot of money, what would you do? Buy yourself a new car? Do the wise thing and invest it, perhaps by buying shared in Coca Cola and Pepsi Co?I strongly feel that the new user interface feel so much brighter than the old one - the colors blend in well together and the white backgrounds take away the gloomy feel. I do, however, think that the new user interface takes up too much screen real estate that could have been used for displaying messages. There are too many pixels of padding used next to the member information block located on the left of the messages and that could be cut down to provide more space for displaying the messages.@mrdeeThe forum encourages members to post longer messages. Short one-liner messages don't really bring up much interactivity to the forum and when the members do actually compose long messages (take a look at anwiii's older posts - that's pretty much the definition of looong) it simply is not possible to write up more than twenty five posts in a single day!The intention to post for gathering MyCENTs still hasn't changed though - you still need to post messages to the forums and contribute to the discussions that the forum members are engaging in.@web_designerI believe the reputation points come from clicking on the plus sign located to the lower right of the messages. That is similar to the rating for the thread, but these apply specifically to the individual messages within the thread rather than to the thread as a whole. I believe the points accumulated on the individual messages within the thread apply to the user. I am pretty sure there was a negative sign down there too, along with the plus sign, to vote a message down, but I guess it was pulled because then you would have members who are less willing to share their opinions and views out of concern that he or she would be voted down.@SkyI haven't used my private messaging inbox because the quota is so low. It barely costs anything to store private messages because most people compose short messages just to wave hello to other members of the forum that they frequently interact with.Where do you look up the version number of the Invision Power Board software? At times, vendors often encourage other firms to take up beta versions of their software and provide support for them through every step because they get their software tested for free and in exchange provide a bit of support by providing patches and bug fixes, which they create in either case unless they want to release a buggy product. If Xisto can get Invision's support, getting a beta to have the latest feature set that comes out of Invision's labs doesn't really sound like a bad deal because we get the features before they are available to the general public.

This board version is the beta 3.1.0. Even if OpaQue has IP.Board version disabled, I know the version of it, since it's different to 3.0.5. Take this for example:

Posted Image

Notice where my Display name is? Then there is a little box/table for the PM count. That is only for 3.1.0. And 3.1.0 is the new beta version, which is still in Development. Look:

Stable Releases

Posted Image

Development Releases:

Posted Image

It clearly shows that IP.Board 3.1.0 is in beta stage and is not even stable enough to be used on a public community, only on a beta/test board for test purposes only.

There is still the issue of the posts not corresponding to the posts in your profile, generally the posts in the profile are greater than the post of the user inside a forum topic, which is a pretty big issue I think, couldn't that screw with the mycents in the future?Also I think its irritating that when your not logged in, you cant click the "reply" button or "New Topic" button without going and clicking log on first. It used to be that if you were not logged on first, the reply or New Topic button would forward you to the login page, and then back to the page you were previously at.P.S. I still don't like the skin :-p

I like it.Nice layout and design. I hope you will add the shoutbox and fix the time caching problem with it.It is nice you implement this with new technologies,ajax,new text-editor and new features.I think there are many things and it should be more simpler,it is hard to adapt on new menus.I think the guidelines link should be moved to the menu,delete my cookies link should be removed,and reputation buttons should be in the same row with "Reply" and 'MultiQuote".

web_designer, reading your previous post I tested REP point and it works fine under FF. I'm not sure if IE has some issues.And reading your later post, you figured it out by just clicking on the + sign on the lower right (mentioned at the start of this topic).Besides the default value issues, I think we're getting the forum loaded faster now. We are still thinking about the PM storage but you can always delete the previous messages.Again, we are going to review all default values of the forum once we are fully satisfied with forum's functionality.

It would nice if the posts could be saved as drafts, which can be worked upon later and then post it. May be a limit of even 2 drafts would be very helpful for a person like myself who can be often interrupted by other things.Is the rep system available at bottom right of each post the same as the topic vote on top right of a main thread post? What I meant to ask is, whether the rep limit of 5 is applicable when both the types or reps taken together or separate (5 each)?The new content RSS is nice and helpful but doesnt work when I paste the url into googl reader.

@TrueFusion
I agree with you on the placement of the active content. Alternatively, the status messages of the forum members can be moved to the top because those are the only two things I'd look at when I get to the forum.

I may have missed this, but next to the (intentionally misspelled) words "kknowledgeSutra Guidelines," there is a link called "View New Content." It works similar to today's active content but is located on every page and near the top right.

Posted Image

Is there a way to make that not happen?

They aren't large images, just signatures, is there a parameter you can edit that will make that not popup unless it is over Xpx by Ypx

I just read in today's paper that over 50,000 websites have started using the Facebook widget in their sites. On trustworthy sites like ours it may be a good thing as it makes things easier, but on some sites it may be dangerous to login using these widgets as we do not know if our accounts will be safe or not. Thus as a precaution I'm staying away from such widgets.

I just got frustrated being on this forum for an hour several times and not being able to post.If the pages don't load properly then one can't read about updates. I think email notificationabout updates would of been an idea, otherwise it will catch many off guard.