xisto Community
arunkumarhg

Do You Prefer Laptop Or Desktop Computers? Which Is Better Overall?

Laptop VS Desktop  

3 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I have both. Since I'm in video production, specifically post production, I need the Quadcore PowerMac with 8GB of Ram and 30" HD displays. However I have a laptop too. (Currently a 1Ghz Titanium Powerbook G4 with 1GB of Ram). It's dated, but still runs FCP HD okay for general editing. Primarily I use this to design webpages, do business use, and check email now and some field production. A Macbook Pro will be in the works for next year, but I don't need any more write offs for this year. It's been a damn good laptop for the last 3 years. Granted, I have a QuadCore Power Mac, Dual Core 2Ghz G5 powermac, Dual 1.25Ghz G4 Powermac, 4 1.25Ghz G4 Mac Mini's, 1 1.8Ghz G5 iMac (1.25BG Ram), 1 2.Ghz G5 iMac (2GB Ram, and my Powerbook. So I'm mostly desktops.

I prefer the PC simply because I prefer more bang for my buck. I compared the cost of my mothers new XPS to a friend who got a laptop with lower specs, both systems from Dell, and he was horrified to discover my mothers computer has 4 times as much RAM, more harddisk space, and way faster processor than his, and her computer cost HALF what his laptop did. Not to mention her free LCD monitor upgrade is bigger than his laptop monitor. I don't understand why people spend so much for mobility that MOST of them never really take advantage of.

Well, dektops and laptops are good for different things. Laptops have things desktops don't and vice versa. So people may have their different opinions. Personally, i prefer using a desktop because they are easier to use and you can get really good LCD monitors with them. In a laptop, you're stuck with one screen, and if it breaks, the laptop is gone forever. Laptops are more practical for portable use, for people doing business and having to travel around alot. Im not that kind of person really, therefore i prefer desktops. Sure, desktops are more time-consuming to set up but i think its worth it. To top that up, you would usually have to buy a mouse for a laptop, unless you don't mind constantly using your fingers, which is annoying.Overall, laptops are only better than desktops for travel use, and nothing else.

I have a laptop, and it's way cooler than a normal computer. You can move it around, and take it on long car trips and plane rides. Laptops are more mobile and, in general, look more modern. My laptop also has a lot of storage space. It's a kind of old version, but it can still hold all my Sims games and all my iTunes files (trust me, that requires a LOT of space.)

I like desktops better:Here the reasons for desktops:PROS:Interchangability of componentsTechnically, more performance (technically)CONS:BulkyNot portableTOO many wiresyou need a deskyou need a chairREasons for a laptop:PROS:ITs one unitYou can use it on your "LAP"its PORTABLEReally efficientCONS:Battery fails after a period of timeINterchangability of componentsLots of problems with laptops, from my experienceeYOU CAN DROP ITSome laptops should be consider PORTABLE DESKTOPS...You can't really build a custom laptop...well not yet.I could add more, but i think that's enougheFX

I prefered laptops ,laptops have good advantages like it could be taken anywhere you want them to take and its so easy even to opertae in the bed or during traveeling hrs and helps to utilise your timr effectively and i like laptop for many reasons ,if you are at home you may also use a mouse on it if you want ,its battery life obviously needs to increase and thats what makes it a useful thing ,i prefer a laptop more than i ever prefer a desktop and mu first wisklist thing to buy is a laptop ,when i earn something from my newly started business;)

I believe that both systems have their different uses and target audience. For example, laptops are intended mainly for business people that needs computer access with them at all times so they would call for the portability of a laptop at their side. A computer is mainly targeted for all audiences but also for those hardcore people that would need to use it for things such as 3D design and the such that carries more power to it.I personally prefer the use of a laptop just because I am using it right now because it conserves more energy than my PC. I usually use my PC when Im in need of certain power driven programs such as 3D modeling programs and the such. I also use it for games as well because my laptop can not run half the games out their currently right now.One thing I hate about laptops is that overtime you laptop will tend to run into technical problems earlier than computer systems. Because Ive ran through a couple laptops and found that it tends to have the problem of overheating and dust build up. So I always find myself blowing the dust out to release some of the blocked holes to keep the cooling process my my laptop in tip top shape or else it would cause my laptop to over heat and shut down automatically which can be very annoying at times.With a computer, if it has been built properly, never will overheat and is more reliable than a laptop. I guess becauase since a laptop is so small and the components are so compact that it makes it harder for it to cool itself. Unlike the laptop the computer has more space which results in better cooling factors.

I prefer desktops for 3 reasons:1. They are easier to repair, I absolutely hate working on laptops and sometimes refuse too.2. Almost all hardware works with them, you can tinker with them like a car.3. Desktops are muh cheaper and more for the money.I've only had one laptop however, so I'm not really one to talk hehDesktops are much cheaper and that's a huge advantage. Laptops have a whole host of problems that desktops don't (as often). Laptops are just to hard to repair...for me at least.

Never noticed this topic before "looks at past 11 pages".I would also be going for the desktop. I'm not much into portable electronic devices aside from my generic mp3 player. From what I have seen and know, Desktops are far more powerfull in general for less money (and far more powerfull in general period).I can certainly think of times where having a laptop could be very handy or fun but I still stick with the Desktop for the most part.If however you have the money to burn, then why not ;).Regards, Chesso

I have a double edged sword. I prefer laptops because I like mobility, but I am in the video production industry and require as much horsepower as I can get. Because of that I'm stuck with my Quadcore G5 with 8GB of Ram and my 2TB Xserve units for storage for HD projects. Final Cut Pro and Apple Shake (especially Shake) can use all the power I can get. At the same time I do travel, and use a laptop for field production. FCP still runs on this old powerbook (1Ghz G4, 1GB Ram) without too many hiccups, but I miss the real time rendering the G5's provide. I am waiting for Apple to release OSX 10.5 before upgrading to a new MacBook Pro. During long renders, I enjoy getting out of the office and going to a Panera or coffee shop to work. Even if it is just book keeping and answering emails. So really I need both, but I could live without my laptop, but couldn't make a living without my desktops.

I'm more with desktops but it all depends on what you are going to use it for. Obviously you can't do high end gaming on a laptop or video editing. The advantage laptops have are they can be used anywhere. So if you are traveling a lot, a business person, or just low on space, go with a laptop. Other than that get a desktop.

I like both laptops and desktops really.Laptops are probably better because they can be used anywhere although it wouldnt be much use to me without wireless internet. Laptops are ok except for touchpads, sometimes they really annoy me so thats a downside. But you can always buy a mouse.Desktops are good on the other hand because they are more reliable and you don't have to worry about a battery or anything like that. Also they aren't as easy to break since they can be big and bulky.I am probably going to vote desktop, since I use one more often and i like them better.Also you can get bigger screens for desktops and an enormous laptop would like a bit stupid when you think about it.