xisto Community
arunkumarhg

Do You Prefer Laptop Or Desktop Computers? Which Is Better Overall?

Laptop VS Desktop  

3 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I mean a Laptop is great and all. portable great if u are the move alot. but in the end desktops just crushes laptop( literiry. lol) lets put it this way. laptop is great for data. and some music on it good **** i have to say. i got most of my programming data on it. but since i im a hardcore overclocker. most of my games and moives n **** are on my desktop. cuz is simply faster... and u cant really costum a laptop... or a Mac -.- lol..

I would have to say Laptop because of all the following:

A laptop computer (also known as notebook computer) is a small mobile personal computer, usually weighing from 1 to 3 kilograms (2 to 7 pounds). Notebooks smaller than an A4 sheet of paper and weighing around 1 kg are sometimes called sub-notebooks and those weighing around 5 kg a desknote (desktop/notebook).
Source: Google.com

I also like Laptops because they are portable so you can take them to school, work, etc...

If you really need a high powered machine, of course you want to go with a desktop. You can get much more bang for buck, and you can run more and bigger monitors. If you don't need a computer that goes BAM, but still gets the job done, and if you want to travel with your own computer, then a laptop is for you. If you can afford both, then you use a laptop for traveling and sync data as needed with the ultimate desktop that you build.of course, I highly doubt a company will give you both, so if you are allowed to take it out of the office, then get a laptopIn my experience, data on desktops tends for some reason to get backed up more often than on laptops. Doesn't have to be that way, but it is, if only because desktops can stay on the network overnight for unattended backups to the network server.My desktops have wireless keyboards and mice, something a docking station could have--but, remember, I've never meet a docking station I liked.The point here is that, whatever technical equality now exists between the two form factors, there remains both dollars-and-cents and practical/personal choice reasons to choose a desktop, laptop, or both--which is really my recommendation.With prices as low as they are, I can have a laptop for use around the house and occasional trips and a very nice desktop for a combined price of AU$4,000 or less. That's a heck of a deal compared to hardware prices not that long ago.Buying a real travel notebook means spending AU$3,000 or more, but adding the dock can be fairly pricey. For not a lot more money you can get a desktop machine and use it when you aren't on the go.If I could only have one computer, though, it would be a notebook, but only because writing is my primary task and I've gotten comfortable doing it in the den rather than in my office. But that is only a David work-style issue and, you know, it's easy for me to say I'd forgo the desktop, which I use for big projects--Web design, music, photo editing, etc.--because I know it won't actually go away.As much as I like the little notebooks, one thing is certain: No machine with a screen smaller than 15 inches could ever be my only computer.

Although I like laptops, I have to say that a Desktop is much better, Because not only is it cheaper to upgrade (And you dont have to really take apart the whole machine to install it) but just the constomize ability.

it all depends on your prefernce to need of the computer if your a business man who travells a tone then you would wont a laptop were as soem oen like me who works from home i prefer my over the top desktop but as i siad it all depends soem ppl would prefer neither and go for a PDA

Yes, i agree with you there. If you work somewhere else, and you travel by train or something, then a laptop is very usefull. It also depends on what you want to do with it. If you want to play the newest games with high resolution etc, you have to buy a very expensive laptop. Its just what you are planning to do with it. I´ll prefer desktop, because i´m a gamer, and still at school :huh:. Thats my opinion about it, See what you do with it,Mark

dear friends.. Hello I am darshan (my real name) from Bharat (India), NEC, Japan introduced fuel cell powered laptop, I only read about this somewhere.. but I dont know more about it.. but NEC is a very big and popular company.. they claims that our laptop can run 6 hours on each cartridge of fuel cell. so if any1 is a frequent traveller and have no time / place to charge his/her laptop then fuel cell powered laptop is best for him/her.BUT the total cost of fuel cell cartridges per 1 yr useage is = battery replacement expense after 1 yr then it is ok.. and when u charge / use battery powered laptop it will generate heat. But it may not be possible in fuel cell powered laptop.. I also seen 100$ laptop for children, when the battery of this laptop discharged then u can charge it by cranking.But as per my knowledge and belief Desktop has enough room for air circulation then laptop. So desktop will be more long lasting then laptop. But if u take enough care, like always lay laptop on bamboo table which has big enough air wents instead of lap and always try to cool laptop by pedastal / celing fan / air-condition and always protect it from dust and moisture then its life may increase. I have a compaq presario M2305NR 1.6 GHz laptop and when u lay it on yr lap then air wents are blocked. So it is not advisable to use laptop on yr lap for a long time in air went blocked situation. So always lay yr laptop on the table which has a air wents. Or always lay yr laptop on the big thick hard books and be careful that every air wents are open for better air-circulation. additionally, I marked that when u will use any DOS Based application like foxpro / word star etc. on yr laptop / desktop which has AMD cpu then as per AMD supplied hardware monitor, CPU and battery usage will be 100% and temperature of CPU will be increased by 5 degree centigrade. So be carefull.But if u will use any window based application like Visual Foxpro etc. then CPU / Battery usage etc. r very normal.. and faster then any Intel cpu. Regards.. Darshan.

I suppose it depends on how important portability is to you. I absolutely love the fact that I can shove my laptop in my bag and head down to the library to do research. All my stuff is there, i don't need to wait to get onto a computer, or log into a computer that doesn't neccessarily the programs or data I need. It's also fabulous for taking back home with me to visit the family. But I move about a lot, and I don't use my laptop for gaming or anything that taxes the memory too much. So obviously it's suited to me.

The battery thing is annoying, however, I find most places have plug in points (including the train home) so I can still use it. I can't operate without a mouse...but afterall, it's easy enough to take one with you!

But portability and space are really the only two advantages. You have to consider how important these are to you. If they aren't absolutely essential then go for a desktop, it just makes more sense.

Usually I prefer a desktop because it has more disks and it often has both a CD-reader and an DVD-writer, which is the fastest way for my digital camera backups.However, if I happen to be invited to a lan-party, I prefer a laptop.If I were rich I would have both.

I would go for a laptop unless I am a businessman traveling on 5 continents.... I have a desktop computer, and I am happy with it, cause I don't have to worry about its battery, and, as i'm a student I don't have the money to change my PC to a better one, so I "update" its hardware from time to time, and that's what i like the most in it...

I don't think there is real decision to be made.Desktop computers are generally stronger than laptops. For this reason, I like desktops for gaming and graphics.However, laptops or notebooks do have the fashion/gadget feel about them. They are good for creating documents and watching movies/listening to music.

I would get a laptop because you can pretty much turn it into a desktopIf you hated the small screens and stuff, you can always hook it up to a larger monitor if your at home (assuming you have a monitor)you can always attach a keyboard if you don't like the laptop keyboard.you can always attach a mouse to useyou can leave it plugged into wall while your at home so you dont have to use batteriesso right there its basicaly a desktop, and if you ever needed to travel you would have ur laptopi guess the bad things are you can only have so much cd drives, cant add addition hard drives, and you cant upgrade any of the specs

I think an important in between you should consider is a shuttle form pc. It has generally the power of the desktop, just a bit limited in upgradability but otherwise it's small, possibly portable if you need to move it now and then and if you couple it with a lcd screen, you could really save some major space.Otherwise as all the others said, power go for desktop, mobility go for notebook. If you want power and mobility there are very powerful notebooks out there but they tend to be rather large, hot (though this is improving) and incredibly expensive.Currently i'm using a power notebook (which is 4 years old) and I generally just use it like a desktop and also placed in a cooler pad as I run it really long. It's rather heavy, but I can bring it around, and it still runs a lot of games (World of Warcraft, Rome Total War) so I am pretty pleased. If you can deal with the initial damage cost of such a notebook and want to bring it around, you might want to consider one of these options.Don't go SLI in a notebook tho.

This depends on what you want to do with computer. For business or personal use , Laptop will be more convenient and reliable . You can demo your products , note the important info ,play a small game or do your job in any place. But If you want to buy for family , I would buy desktop . Everyone can use one and you can change the hardware whatever you want . Laptop is hard to update anything