xisto Community
arunkumarhg

Do You Prefer Laptop Or Desktop Computers? Which Is Better Overall?

Laptop VS Desktop  

3 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I love my laptop because it is basically a mobile desktop.I have a HP Pavilion zx5000.Intel Pentium 4Windows XP Home EditionATI Mobility Radeon 92003 USB ports5-in-1 Digital media portEthernet/modem connectionWireless Internet17' WidescreenHarman/Kardon speakersSoundMAX...as well as a lot of other stuff. :PThe Cons:~My battery life after 2-3 years is about 45 minutes to an hour. (Less when running more complicated programs like Bryce 5)~The cooling fans run ALL the time...that really is all I can think of. :P I gave you the specifics of my laptop because it is considered by most as a desktop on wheels. Blessings on finding your perfect computer!Have a great day everyone!

I use to like Laptops because it is portable and easy to carry. Then my laptop went dead and I bought a desktop. I started liking desktop more because of it is upgradeable and cheap lives longer too. I still use it but then came the wireless networking and now I like laptop and desktop both. Desktop for easy upgrade and stuff while laptop for the mobility. If I am going to burger king or starbucks I can carry my laptop many places provide wireless connectivity and that’s why I like laptop. So after all it is important to know the end use before I can decide whether desktop is preferable or laptop. Thanksnote: laptop is a misnomer, you can call it notebook computer. all the notebeook makers reccommend not placing notebook computer on your lap because it gets too hot.

Edited by talktime (see edit history)

It really boils down to what you want it for. For example someone who is always on the move would definitely be more suited for a laptop if he or she can not afford to get both. Or if that person is a techie like me and need one for trouble-shooting in the field. Laptops are nice to have and prove themselves worthy 99% of the time.
But like rkage say there are downsides to them also. They cost more than desktop with same specs, and can really warm up your pants with long use in you lap. You tend to crouch over a lot which is not good for you posture, and the list goes on. But wouldnât you be happy if you could fold up your car and take it with you when you travel?

Laptops to me are for convenience so if itâs convent to you to have one then get it. But still fix up you desktop. Or if you canât get both, the laptop may have the edge in my opinion. You can take it anywhere and still use it at home.

Right, i have both, one for travel an one to run my home network and to test new software products etc. If your a massive gamer and need a lot of horsepower then go for a desktop. But if you just need it to type up docs, create websites, search for pics, research; then go for the laptop if you have enough money. If your really rich then you can get a nice laptop that is suitable for gaming and video editing. If you want something fairly cheap and you want to mix and match, get yourself a VAIO FS series. Great graphics and a stable PC.

It honestly depends on what suits YOU. If you require the portability most of the time, you're always on the go, and you're willing to shell out some more money for a good system, you might lean towards a laptop. Don't forget that you'll also want to get more batteries if you're actually going to use a laptop THAT much. An AC adapter takes away from the mobility :)If you want for "bang for your buck," and don't need to do extensive computing on the road, consider purchasing a good ol' desktop. On the plus side, the option to upgrade in a desktop is great if you're a computer buff. If you do require to check/send e-mails and the like, a good PDA combined with a good desktop will last for a very long time.

It's all depend on your needs. Desktop computer is cheaper than laptop but if you're mobile people laptop is suit for you. BTW the the performance for laptop is almost like Desktop PC. At home I have desktop and laptop. My main reason why I bought laptop is because in My college internet is Free(Wi-Fi). So why not use it :) .

I myself prefer a Desktop Computer since it has overall better performance and costs much less money.But it would also be nice if I would own a laptop since they're really handy when you're away from home.My mom own a laptop (doesn't work properly any more since my sister spoiled some thee over it :))and worked a few times on it. My experience with laptops are that they have much less performance over adesktop computer. But it also kinda depends on what you do. Playing games on a laptop is possible but more thequake or doom games and no really system demanding games. Which the modern desktop computers would runeasily.When i have the money i would buy a laptop just for school or hanging out on the couch :DBakr_2k5

i need a laptop for school and over the past year i have gotten so used to the flat laptop keyboard that the raised keys on a desktop keyboard becomes annoying after a while...So i like the laptop alot better thana desktop ....although some laptops coming out now are just pretty damn pointless they are soo big with their inbuilt subwoofers i mean subwoofers on a laptop...why do you want one. I cant imagine a laptop user going into a cafe or something to do their work then listening to bangn choons through their laptop subwoofer.Thats my spiel cheerio

My opinion is somewhere in the middle of the 2 :P . I still prefer a normal, big computer, because it easily allows you to replace or upgrade parts (that won't cost you a fortune and are easy to get). Big computer can have big coolers, so it remains more or less silent when you're gaming. Ow, and even tough I stopped doing this 24/7, a big computer can be overclocked :P .A laptop on the other side is mobile, you can use it everywhere and since I'm at High School now, I do realise that it's a lot more easy to get the papers from blackboard, put them on the laptop and take some notes on it (but paper overrules laptop when it comes to making drawings of something or writing mathematical stuff). Having a laptop means having your data and tools available, everywhere and you're not dependant on a computer (of wich we sometimes run out at school :P ). Downside are of course the cost and low performance (especialy graphics and hdd in the less expensive laptops) and getting 3+hours of battery life is only possible when you turn everything down. Ow yeah, I'm not to fancy about the keyboards either, those tiny, flat keys with hardly no respons ... don't like it and the weird lay-out and the lack of a numerice key-pad is a miss too.So:Big computers: + cheap+ upgradability+ capability- only available at homeLaptops:+ mobile+ handy+ all your prefs and apps are available- battery- price and lower performance- noise (when doing heavy stuff)- keyboard and mouspad (you could connect a mouse to it, but that means carrying a mouse everywhere and those little laptop mice aren't exactly handy).

I prefer desktops! Theres a few reasons why...The screen is easier to see! With a laptop you need to sit right behind it to see properly. And have you ever tried to watch a movie on a laptop screen? I find it doesn't work well at all!Also, a desktop is better to do work! Its easier to have a loose keyboard to type and generally the area around your desktop is covered by bits of paper with computer information on it! You can take all that with you and your laptop!Its also nice to have a proper mouse, I suppose its easy to buy an extra mouse but once again its just more to carry with you and your laptop!The main pro of having a laptop is being able to take it around but that can also mean lots of carrying! Also the battery life needs to be taken into account! You cant carry it around forever without charging it which can be a bother! Lastly, you cant really use a laptop outside, the sunlight glares on the screen too much so apart from your sofa in front of the tv, your bed and local coffee shop, where are you gonna take it?I do see the advantages of a laptop but to me its just not really worth the extra money you have to pay! As always, these are just my opinions, SO DONT get offended! :P

Well, if I was to choose between a laptop or a desktop computer, I really couldn't decide. If I had a laptop, I would only use it to go on the internet and for research. It would be a good thing to have if you were traveling. But for a desktop, I use it for my graphics and forums, and looking up stuff for school and researching. But other than that, I could not choose.Both have very good qualities, and both would be great to have around.

I'd chose a desktop simply because they are cheaper and for the same price desktop that you can buy a laptop the desktop will always outperform the laptop.Then there is speed. Usually most desktops have higher clock speeds and more space in the case for bigger components which would mean better performance in some cases.The components are cheap for desktops so if it's time for an upgrade it might just be a few hundred dollars compared to a laptops upgrade.Then there are other things that you could try on laptops but things like case modding with led fans and neon lights and stuff i doubt that laptops will have the space for that, it pretty much has all the components needed crammed in there anyway.The only time i'd get a laptop is if i needed to do things on the move where as now i don't need to do that.So i say desktop because: Price, Performance, Customizable and room for upgrades.-HellFire

It does depend on what you are using your computer for. If your going to be gaming, but not moving around at all you should go with a desktop, you can upgrade it easier and cheaper. Laptops are best if you have to move around alot. I use my laptop because I go back and forth between two houses about 3 times a week. Laptops are more expensive with less bells and wistles on it. If I only lived in one house I would definitly go for a desktop though, that way I could play Call of Duty 2 :P

Ask a child the same question.If they're looking for a computer for Christmas ... often I have heard "just a little laptop computer would be fine".They figure since they're smaller, they're cheaper!I run a desktop, though in the past used to have a laptop. I don't think the mobility is worth the extra money.

One more vote for laptop...Was a desktop user for a very long time until I got my first laptop. Needed to get use to the new and smaller keyboard on the laptop. But after that adjustment, I just couldn't go back to my desktop anymore. Laptop was way more convenient for what I do and doesn't require much estate on my desk :P

If you want to play games (full graphics performance) or have a full time server (http, ftp...) or client (emule, bittorrent...) running I prefer a desktop computer.If you just want it to work, you may need some mobility... I prefer a laptop :PIt's all on your needs: I have a laptop and a desktop computer, I need both of them :P