xisto Community
arunkumarhg

Do You Prefer Laptop Or Desktop Computers? Which Is Better Overall?

Laptop VS Desktop  

3 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

i prefer desktops more than laptops.. i think the only advantage you get with laptops is that they can be brought anywhere and can be used anytime.but then i'd also go for desktops because desktop computer parts are easier to find and can have different compatabilities.. some laptop parts when needed can only be purchased to where you brought it. desktop can also be fixed urgently. also, most laptops don't have numpads unlike in desktops. gaming is also limited for laptops and is really a lot expensive when you want to get a high-spec laptop for gaming use.. desktops are reliable at many ways and is way cheaper, the only thing is that you can't bring it anywhere, just at home or in the office.

I'm a college student, and I much prefer running a desktop over a laptop. With the relatively old desktop I have inside of my room, I can still leave it on all night and day (electricity is included in my rent), and it has never died on me. I don't know if I would like to try that with my laptop. Desktop computers are a whole lot easier to maintain and fix (this was probably mentioned a thousand times already), but what the laptops lack in those departments, they make up for in portability. But overall, desktops can stand up to the test of time a whole lot better than laptops can, so for this reason, I voted desktop!

I prefer laptop, Iam gona get one soon. They safe up space and are great for studies and buisness. Especially for programming and internet management. But if you are looking for games and best of all graphics you should go with the desktop since, from waht i know, they can be equiped with better hardware than laptops. + if your playing a game and loose you might hit the keyboard or the screen and an ordinary laptop probably won't take the hit <_<

I'm not sure which one I like..Laptops are more easy to bring around, light weight and are really small compared to a desktop, but they can break easy, like if you drop it, theres so many things that can break easy, and are harder to upgrade or repair. I like desktops because they're easy to upgrade, and repair, but I don't like that you can't really bring it around with you..

I like Both Desktops and Laptops for a bunch of reasons.Desktops Laptops-easy repair -Very small and lightweight-faster -Internet no matter where you go-More memory capacity(and cheaper memory) -You always have a computer with you-direct link to internet(no 3rd partys slowing you down!) -They look cool(lol) -INTERNET NO MATTER WHERE YOU GO!!!Hope this helps! -Murtahg

A laptop is better so far!Why?PROS1. Is not the same to have a truck than a bike right?, but with technology, you are able to have a bike 2 times more powerful than a truck :P2. Another point is: "portability", A laptop give us the opportunity to carry an office in less 1 Kg :P3. Energy savings. Less pollution, healthy planetCONS1. A laptop is robed easier: then you loose not only your laptop, all your business is on risk!!!2. Is expensive: at least in my country3. Is not very open for upgrades: do you need more power? buy a new oneCONVERT(CONS TO PROS)1. Keep backups, don't be depended of your tools.2. A laptop is easier to resell <_<3. After resell buy a new one with less cost :PBlessings!

Edited by develCuy (see edit history)

After 5 years of building, upgrading, and repairing PC’s I’ve noted a great deal of premature disk failure and heat related failure in all common brands of notebooks. In addition, the limited ability to custom build or upgrade a notebook leads any power user to require a desktop system.

There are a couple major issues I have had with laptops in the past.One of the largest, and most widespread I have seen has been with power adapters....the socket that they plug into stops working. And so you either have to go in there and re-attach something because it wiggled itself loose on the inside, or pry the contacts out because they lost their springyness that holds the plug securely in place.Now I think that apple has figured out this issue really well, maybe I am wrong, but what I have seen with the magnetic power cords seems like an extremely good idea...as from my first look at them it seems as if they are designed to withstand a lot of abuse...A second issue I have seen is with the hard drives....it seems as if they start to fail a lot quicker than ones in desktop computers....Now I am not sure if that is because of heat, or if it is from people moving the computers when they are on...I guess since I am currently using the first laptop I have ever owned....i may find out. (I hope that I can get a good 4-5 years out of it without having to replace any parts, or anything like that, but with some of the stories I have heard about dell laptops...we'll see about that).But then despite those downfalls, laptops are really nice in that you can have your computer with you wherever...it provides so much portability...once my school loaned me a ibook last year (not the clamshell ones, but the G3's after that)....I was hooked...it was so nice to be able to work wherever I wanted...so as of right now I prefer laptop computers....although for certain situations a desktop computer is better (where portability isn't needed), just because it is a lot easier to upgrade/repair a desktop computer than a laptop (something about having to take out over 200 screws, and have a screen over there, mouse pieces over here, keyboard there, and so on...isn't the most ideal of situations)

0kay...laptops suck I hate them eww http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ I have desktops,because they don't break so easly yay for desktops.My mom wants to buy me a laptop idk...I do not like them very much they tend to get on my nerve plus there super small well for me that is.I just like you know the old fashion way just sitting at the computer you know just typeing away.Why in hell would I want heat on my lap and an annoying moouse that goes everywhere.I just wanna keep it simple thats just me...-Jessica

Laptop Or Computer For Christmas?

Do You Prefer Laptop Or Desktop Computers?

Basically I can either have a laptop or computer for Christmas. It needs to be able to put about 6 sims 2 expansion packs on it and the sims 2. It needs to be quiet fast because I hate slow ones. Access to the internet. So please help me! Any comments or answers would be greatful!

-Cody-Lee

Hi Arunkumar,It depends on 2 things:1. What you really want, and 2. What you need it for.Answering the first need. A laptop is a 'desirable' thing. So you might have already decided to buy it and just want to make sure that its not a bad idea..........What you need.......Now since you are a developer, you obviously need a powerful computer. Just think of the waiting time for a fully loaded firefox with all extensions to load from the significantly slower laptop hard disk....... Photoshop, gimp...............Why I recomend a PC:1. You can get an Asus mobo which has a DVI out and 4 SATA ports for a slight premium over the regular mobos.2. Now you can attach a 22" Viewsonic LCD with a DVI in. Just imagine the comfort this would bring in. And your productivity increase........................3. You can put in a 4 disk RAID 0+1 array. Now your data is ultra safe and you get 110MB/sec data transfer compared to the 40MB/sec of a laptop. Three times the speed!!!!!!!! Photoshop, bootups, firefox, games, etc, etc, will all FLY......................4. Processors are now too powerful anyway. So you can get yourself the cheapest AMD X2 and you would hardly notice the difference were you on a processor which cost 4 times as much (no exaggeration!)......5. And you can add the extra hardware you need. Graphic cards, tv tuners(22" tv remember ;-) )...........6. Now you can add the latest Creative XFi Xtreme Music 7.1 sound card.7. Then a 7.1 creative speaker system. The S750 if you may.8. And you can top it all with a 1000VA APC inverter to take care of all those power cuts(+ a small 650VA APC UPS). And all this high end hardware you can get at the price of a medium range laptop.So a lap is worth it only when your primary need is travel. When you are an executive and all you need is the internet, the outlook and the microsoft suite........You can even do another thing.If you drop the Creative XFi, S750, and the inverter you can buy both the PC and the lap(the cheapest one)!!!!!!!!!!!!!Negs for a lap:1. Battery life falls rapidly.2. The most important - REALLY REALLY BAD ERGONOMICS. We may have to pay dearly for that.........3. Extremely slow HDD.4. Will have to protect against theft.So thats it. Hope you are able to make an intelligent choice.Cheers....http://www.vdesignlabs.com/

I prefer a laptop over a desktop just because I can lay in bed and do the work that I need to do from there and be comfortable instead of sitting in a chair for hours hurting my back, neck and wrists and junk. On top of that laptops have been picking up the pace in technology and it seems 2008 will be especially strong for the laptop market.

I prefer a laptop over a desktop just because I can lay in bed and do the work that I need to do from there and be comfortable instead of sitting in a chair for hours hurting my back, neck and wrists and junk. On top of that laptops have been picking up the pace in technology and it seems 2008 will be especially strong for the laptop market.

Indeed laptops have became more and more powerful. Especially now Intel finally realizes that they hit a temperature wall after their infamous frequency myth. (The faster the processor, the better, which is only somewhat true).

xboxrulz