xisto Community
arunkumarhg

Do You Prefer Laptop Or Desktop Computers? Which Is Better Overall?

Laptop VS Desktop  

3 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Few years ago, laptop is quite expensive; but now price isn't the shortcoming.As we thought before, the laptop hardware is quite drop behind the mainstream.Now, even 6800 Ultra Display Card is used in laptop.Destop Computer is easy to upgrate.But if you got one and it isn't out of style.(Now I just use it to burn DVD and make it as FTP server.)I think the good idea is that keep it and no upgrate it.Many years ago, you can upgrate Pentium 66 to Pentium MMX 233.But now, Intel change stock very often, Stock 423, Stock 478, LGA 775.Even AMD shirft from 423, 754 to 939. Maybe 939 will be replace by New 940.So, no one want to upgrate CPU 2 years later.It is only take some time, PCI Express replace AGP and DDRII take hand from DDR.Far now, if MXM display module is avialable, it is no doute to choice LAPTOP.Laptop is the best choice.

Hi, Personally I think that Desktop P.C's are better. It do like laptops, but there normally isn't enough memory or power on the video card and sound card. I know that they are useful, what with the wireless cables and the practical fact that they can be carried around with you everywere you go, but they just don't 'float my boat' so to speak. I know that generally speaking Desktop P.C's are very large and can't be moved around unless you have a truck availible I just think that it's the options you have with a P.C that I like more. You can pack them full of so much stuff and they just keep on going. There is plenty of exsternal ports and sockets and the graphics cards and sound cards are so much better. It is in my exsperience quite difficult to work games from desktop P.C's. I would just personally stick with a desktop computer as far as I'm concerned. Cheers. Sean Webber. militaryknowledge@hotmail.co.uk

Isn't it about the same price if you have a laptop to buy a desktop with twice the system specifications? I read that somewhere, and it seems right becuase for about £500 all you can get is a 1.4 GHZ celeron machine which is very poor compared to some of the baragins you can pick up at PC World for cheap desktops, often including TFt monitors and printers or scanners as well. Laptops are more useful and versatile and probably more fun to use as you can move around and do more things, like recordings, with them. I am in the process of choosing a laptop but I'm worried about the difficulty in upgrading them and also the fact that you can't buy one with Linux preinstalled or bare-bones which I want as I don't see the point in paying for an expensive copy of Windows Xp that I'm never going to be able to use since I hate it.

I like to use my laptop most of the time and just connect it to my monitor and keyboard/mouse/speakers when I need to. Since my laptop screen is big enough I can deal with it. My laptop can do anything my desktop can do except maybe the sound isn't better. Sometimes it's good to have a desktop lying around because it's expandable and it is easily to switch hardware in and out such as hardrives, video cards and other stuff.

i like desktops better.. just becuse.. there faster.. hold more.. can do more.. etc etc...but dont get me wrong.. i have a laptop.. i love it.. u can take them anywhere.. and be on internet.. so thats handy!.. but its a lil harder to play pc games lol on laptop.. so thats y i got a desktop

I prefer desktops, however, I will seriously consider one for when I get into college in two years. I'll want a pretty good one, but if anything (since I'll still be in state, just a ways from home), my desktop will remain at home and I'll use that for playing games and stuff.I'm learning about them [laptops] so that I can upgrade when the time comes, also... no matter how difficult that may be, an upgrade is an upgrade. :(

I like desktops because they can be upgraded easier but they do take up a lot of room. So if you have the room get new/upgrade your desktop. If you do not have the room I would go for a laptop. If you do a lot of stuff with the computer I would go for a high-end laptop. If you don't do so much you should go for a lower-end laptop.

My ancient laptop gives me more juice than my office deskptop.. they were bought at about the same time.. down here in India, you'd get similar configs for both your laptop and your desktop all at about the same cost... in fact, it is soon going to become cheaper and more sensible to use a laptop than a desktop... unless you're a hardcore gamer.. then of course, you'd be better off with a desktop, with a heavy duty graphics and video card.A decent Laptop this side of the world would come in at about INR60000/- which would compute to USD1350/- (would bring in a DVD/CDRW, 512 Ram, 60 GB HDD, appx 2.8 GhZ processor, with Windows Professional, also wireless lan, bluetooth and at least will have an IrDA port)However a similar configuration from any of the major branded vendors would hit the pocket with about INR5000/- (about USD100/-) lesser... so for the convenience that a decent laptop would provide you... I guess it makes a lot of sence to go in for a laptop... also, a desktop will not come in with wireless connectivity or the plethora of inbuilt or plug and play ports that come in with a decent laptop... A desktop is great for upgrading whenever there's new hardware available... then again, this costs a bit of cash... fotunately there is enough of a market for second hand laptops to make it nearly effectively viable to just sell your laptop , put in a similar amount of cash and upgrade your machine...Laptop it is for me... Rashid Ahmed

I'm going to have to go with the laptop. This is just what works for me, of course. I've always had desktop computers before this notebook (which I got in August). Now that I've had a few months to get used to the portability and other advantages, I can definitely say that this is a better option for me. I'm in college, so I move around a lot. I go home (less than an hour and a half from my school) about once a month. I go back home for breaks between semesters and summer vacation. My laptop lets me take my work home with me and actually be able to do something with it while I'm at home. Before, when I had a desktop, I stored my papers or whatever on a flash drive - convenient and inexpensive, but very annoying when I got home. It was hard to get into the line for the computer (several other people use my Mom's desktop), even when I was *very* adamant about stating that I had a 10-page research paper due just a few days later and therefore should have taken priority over my brother's all-night Yahoo! Messenger chats *smirks*My desk is fairly small, and usually covered with books and other things, so having a very small computer (compared to a desktop, anyway) really helps free up some space. Then again, some of that "free space" has been eaten up by the external keyboard, which I bought because I don't like laptop keyboards. (First of all, the keys are cramped together more than on many external keyboards. And I'm using an ergonomic/natural keyboard, which is more comfortable for me considering that I type for a few hours every day.)

I voted for Desktop computer, due to i can't really imgine my work with a laptop, i used it and really at first it looked cool, but after few hours I started to dislike it. ;)

I voted for desktops, but i think it's a bit skimpy to vote only for one. i have a laptop and several desktops, and i couldn't see myself without either of them. travelling, the laptop is indispensable. but at home, nothing beats a good desktop for performance. it takes me several times as long to do the work i do on the laptop as it does on the desktop. i haven't been able to afford an alienware or similar high-end laptop, so with the under $2,000 laptop, you don't get the same level of performance. I find the desktop more stable too, and easier to use with a nice big 21" monitor. Desktops are also cheaper, can get higher-end pieces for the same price, are easily upgradable, and overall will last you longer than a laptop, heavily used, will.

I guess it just all depends on where u live, i happen to live out in the middle of nowhere, where unlike josh lives in Toyko with ALOT of people to move by. I feel also the your job plays a part, if your a student or a just a weekend warrior. I would just think about what your using it for, just gaming, going to lan partys or bringing it to school or the office. I just use desktops considering that i dont have to worry about high traffic of ppl, and i dont have a job requiring the use of a computer. I dont think we could take a poll without seeing what your using it for.

Personally, I would strongly recommend buying a laptop rather than a desktop. Laptops are more versatile, there general look is cleaner and the best thing is that they are portable. Also some laptops come with Intel Centrino (lets you have a wireless internet connection without the need for extra wires or connection cards) which I have found useful in the past.However, if you buy a laptop, I strongly recommend you getting a mouse because the roller isn't that effective. Also, since laptops can't be ina fixed position, they can easily be dropped or damaged.I hope this helps, but I really think you should get a laptop. ;)

It all depends what I'm doingFor most internet activity and such, I'd like a desktop.But for writing or anything, I nearly need a laptop.I love the portability of a laptop, and laptop keyboards are about the best thing ever... long as you don't spill something on them.I don't know... If I could get a good enough laptop (Never gonna happen) I'd like it better than my desktop since I could use it from bed...I do sometimes find Desktops generally better though...I don't think I'm actually gonna vote though XDI can't decide at all