xisto Community
BuffaloHelp

Knowledgesutra Forum Upgraded To Version 3 [resolved]

sorry but both of you are wrong, you can't calculate the average of different data inputs, if you want the real average then you should separate each post according the amount of lines it contain in groups and calculate the average of each group. this is how you calculate the average, for example we calculate the average of a student degrees which all of them between 0-100, we get the summation and divide it on the number of the courses he took. but we can't do the same if he has one or two courses between 0-50 then we should get their average separately. same like posts in here, hope you get me in here. seems like both of you are bad in math :) .

Sorry web_designer, but I think both of them are right (well, except for deadmad when he said the first equation for calculating myCents, but I didn't notice the mistake, either so I won't say he's bad at math :D)... :)

Anyhow, you can't make groups since that would mean that every student should count their average by taking into account first the A grades, than B, than C and so forth.

If you can prove me wrong, however, please do so! (But, really - if there's something I'm missing, please explain :D)
Edited by Little Asterisk (see edit history)

sorry but both of you are wrong, you can't calculate the average of different data inputs, if you want the real average then you should separate each post according the amount of lines it contain in groups and calculate the average of each group. this is how you calculate the average, for example we calculate the average of a student degrees which all of them between 0-100, we get the summation and divide it on the number of the courses he took. but we can't do the same if he has one or two courses between 0-50 then we should get their average separately. same like posts in here, hope you get me in here. seems like both of you are bad in math :) .

i think i understand what you are trying to say. but what you find the average of each group, you cannot stop there. you would have to average the average of each group. you have to include ALL data to come up with a true average. i can break the average down more specific and go through all your posts, count up all the lines you posted and divide 46 from that # which would give me the average mycents you would earn per line you write. from there, after you post any given post, you count up the lines and times it by the average my cents you figured out earlier to get a rough estimate of how many mycents you will get for each individual post.

research how to figure an average and then come back here. i expect an appology :)but thanks for sharing wrong information anyway

an average, web designer is always taken from different data inputs. you total up all different data inputs and you divide by the # of different data inputs. what you are talking about is trying to get a fixed input on something that cannot be done. they way you are trying to accomplish this is by seperating posts in catagories by the # of lines they contain. in this case, you might have 200 different averages or something(depending on how you are seperating the posts) and you stop there. you can't you have to average all the averages....in this case, 200. you have to add up ALL the averages and divide by 200(in my example). we can come up with an average that way too but my way is easier. :) my way is coming up with a true average. your way is coming up with a true average according to each group. your way is not a true average because your not inputing all known data to come up with only 1 average
Edited by anwiii (see edit history)

@little asterisk@anwiiiagain you both of you are wrong, anwiii you almost understood me there but you stopped till you reached the group average. ok seems this topic will be a math course hahaa.when you get an average for many groups different in the their percentage rate for example the average of group1 (the average here has been taken as 100%)is (88), the average of group2 (the average here has been taken as 50%) is (30), and the average of group3 (the average here has been taken as 25%) is (20). then simply you can get the whole averages of them all, by unification all the averages to be from 100%, then you can get the final average by dividing it by 3. the easiest way to unify the averages of(50% and 25%) by converting them according this formula to convert the average of 50% to 100%:30/50=x/100x*50=30*100x=30*100/50=60to convert the average of 25% to 100%:20/25=x/100x*25=20*100x=20*100/25=80the total average will be= 88+60+80=228/3=76according to your calculation anwiii the result will be= 88+30+20=138/3=46in fact, this is how i was calculating students average degrees in collage, because the degree of the class maybe calculated as 50% and the lab as 50%. according to your way of calculation all my students must be failed :) .so, what do you think now???who is bad in math ;)

@opaque, It's really painful to get active topics after the upgrade. I think there should be link in the sidebar or at the top navigation. This is to avoid clicking forums> get active content. Instead if we just make sure that we get click to "Active content" instead of reloading the forum all the time. Now that mycents are back you can do these small changes now. :)

the total average will be= 88+60+80=228/3=76
according to your calculation anwiii the result will be= 88+30+20=138/3=46

where are you getting all these percentages from? haha we are not claculating grades. we are calculating earnings. if you were going to give a real example, you should have given an example to recalculate the everage mycents per post like i did.

i understand your math fully. in fact, most people can do it in their heads without those formulas. it's basic jr. high math. and you were spliting things in to groups again and giving a certain amount of weight to percentages to get a final percentage average but i still don't know where you are getting the 50% from or the 25% from and i am assuming those # were scores since you were talking about grades.

to figure out earnings(not percentages), it total # of mycents divided by how many posts the person made. now if you want to prove otherwise, you do it with real statistics using mycents and posts like i did. otherwise, i am still going to have to disagree with you.

as far as what my result would be according to what you were trying to convey, it would not have been 46, but 76 since i understand what you were trying to do when converting the percentages to 100%. in the case of averages in what i did, i didn't need to convert percentages because 100% equals the amount of posts made. it was a different fixed figure for each individual. i don't need to break down anyones post to find an average of mycents per post.

now, i want YOU to figure out those peoples average mycents per post and tell me how you came up with that figure so i can try to understand you better rather than give fictitious #'s and percentages where i have no clue how your even coming up with the initial percentages in the first place.

i understand what you are saying though since i have done it many times shooting free throws. if i shot 20 out of 25 free throws, i'm averaging 80% or 80 out of 100. but we aren't trying to find percentages or scores. we are trying to find the average value of one post when you take in to consideration ALL posts. not some of them split in to groups. i am not trying to give a math lesson here. just saying your making it harder than it has to be to find an average.

start a new thread and we will discuss averages :) this is getting off topic.

oo . Calculations , kinda confusing , can some one put it in a single line ?? how this MyCents work ?? Anyway i dont care how it works, as long as it works he he :) And im sure it is set now and its stable enough !!

Oh my, you guys have completely diverted away from the topic. No wonder you continued talking about this in the chatroom as well. You should have created a new thread instead of filling this one with advanced mathematical theories :P I'm a stranger to that so I won't comment on that. All I want to know is if there's been a myCENT update since yesterday or not?

@little asterisk@anwiii

again you both of you are wrong, anwiii you almost understood me there but you stopped till you reached the group average. ok seems this topic will be a math course hahaa.

when you get an average for many groups different in the their percentage rate for example the average of group1 (the average here has been taken as 100%)is (88), the average of group2 (the average here has been taken as 50%) is (30), and the average of group3 (the average here has been taken as 25%) is (20). then simply you can get the whole averages of them all, by unification all the averages to be from 100%, then you can get the final average by dividing it by 3. the easiest way to unify the averages of(50% and 25%) by converting them according this formula

to convert the average of 50% to 100%:
30/50=x/100
x*50=30*100
x=30*100/50=60

to convert the average of 25% to 100%:
20/25=x/100
x*25=20*100
x=20*100/25=80

the total average will be= 88+60+80=228/3=76

according to your calculation anwiii the result will be= 88+30+20=138/3=46

in fact, this is how i was calculating students average degrees in collage, because the degree of the class maybe calculated as 50% and the lab as 50%. according to your way of calculation all my students must be failed :) .

so, what do you think now???
who is bad in math ;)

I, too, see where you're going with this.

But... As anwii said, do it with real numbers so we can see what results you'd get. ;) I don't know, I'm still closer to anwii's opinion (well, anwii's opinion that's also my opinion :D) on this matter. :)

And also, it'd be pretty painful to sort all posts by their length. :lol:
Edited by Little Asterisk (see edit history)

sorry really for being out of the main topic. i will start a new topic about that, again sorry for confusing you here and full the topic of math and formulas.

Hey guys! I just found another problem with the forum. Some of the images are not appearing -- just he words 'Posted Image' in place of the images. I tried changing browsers, log in and out, clear cookies,etc. Nothing is working, so it has be a problem on the server end. Seems like every time something is fixed, something else gets broken... karma :)

Hey guys! I just found another problem with the forum. Some of the images are not appearing -- just he words 'Posted Image' in place of the images. I tried changing browsers, log in and out, clear cookies,etc. Nothing is working, so it has be a problem on the server end.
Seems like every time something is fixed, something else gets broken... karma :)

I guess that's a case of missing images(on the server)? If you could mention where you see this bug, then perhaps Opaque could put in the missing images soon. I haven't noticed this though. Will keep an eye out for it.

I guess that's a case of missing images(on the server)? If you could mention where you see this bug, then perhaps Opaque could put in the missing images soon. I haven't noticed this though. Will keep an eye out for it.

I think that was just a temporary problem -- I had it for a few days then it went away. But I have found ANOTHER bug now -- When you click on 'Overall Top Posters' it doesn't take you there, instead it takes you to your messenger and it shows you your notifications. Is anyone else having this problem?

I think that was just a temporary problem -- I had it for a few days then it went away. But I have found ANOTHER bug now -- When you click on 'Overall Top Posters' it doesn't take you there, instead it takes you to your messenger and it shows you your notifications. Is anyone else having this problem?

I reported this exact same problem sometime back in this thread - it was lost somewhere between the pages!Now if you want to take a look at the top 20 posters then you have to click on the "Members" list on the top and then click on "Post Count"to see the top 20 list. Here is the link to that:

I reported this exact same problem sometime back in this thread - it was lost somewhere between the pages!Now if you want to take a look at the top 20 posters then you have to click on the "Members" list on the top and then click on "Post Count"to see the top 20 list. Here is the link to that:

Oh! Thanks for the quick and simple reply! Now that I remember it -- I think i have read that post before, but now we can bring up the problem again that the myCents are restored so it has become a bigger issue now. I hope an Admin could look into this problem as soon as possible...

First of all, sorry for posting in this thread guys, but I couldn't resist.. I'm sure you'll know exactly how that feels :) Anyway, onto the math ..

first of all, those stats are not accurate since mine will not be updating anytime soon and i should be on that list :)and i made the majority of my posts before i was ever warned and wasn't my fault that the credit system wasn't working. web designer is clearly the winner from the list with the most mycents AND the most posts. but credit has to go to truefusion as well. so on a lighter note, i will do some more calculations....
webdesigner averaged 10 cents a post
truefusion averaged 36 cents a post
rpgsearcherz averaged 19 cents a post
k_nitin_r averaged 23 cents a post

so with these new statistics, and assuming we are going by our Xisto motto that quality is better than quantity, truefusion wins by a landslide! but it was always the quantity and the respect and loyalty from wd that has kept the forum alive. i think they are both winners and the rest of you need to catch up! :)

i am hoping for an increase in traffic now that the mycents are working again! thanks opaque!

Anwii .. this is where our opinions are differing. You are fully correct in what you are saying and so are we. The only difference is, wd's calculation is a little more generic. Now, you had mentioned somewhere that wd has already set a trend for herself and in the next 500 posts she would stay at 10 cents per post again. Maybe true, maybe not. But the point is, using the average of 10 cents is possibly true only for her. There would be a different average for me, different for you , and so on. But in wd's calculation, you have an approximate value that ANYONE can use. Take your posts for instance. If it turns out that you have 10 Group A posts and 20 Group B posts, you could come up with an approximate value that will work for you also. That is the difference. Also, in your case you are making an assumption about the curve, that wd does not make. Do you agree that this makes sense anwii ?