xisto Community
FiReStOrM

Who Knows How To Swim Here?

I was taught by my father to swim when I was around 5-6 years of age. Later, I took one summer in a swimming class, but that didn't really help me. I haven't swam for a while now, so I think my swimming skills are getting worse :)

I know how to swim but hate it, this is because my swimming instructor used to throw me into the deep end even when i didnt know how to swim, its still very creepy. He was a monster

yea, that is a monster and no way to teach a child as they will have a phobia when older. you should get over it though bud, because swimming can be very relaxing. it can also be the best form of excersize because not only is it cardio(which is excersize that builds a sweat and heavy breathing....ok just had an evil thought....) but also works pretty much every muscle in your body

gotta love these topics that get resurrected :angry:

I was born and raised on the Great Lakes. Never lived more than about 1 mile from a Beach until I went away to University. Always swam nearly everyday. Sometimes for hours and loved it. Had our favourite spots and bult our own diving Boards and would stay there all day. Then school and work happened. Haven't swam except in a pool for years. Pool swimming just isn't the same.

I was born and raised on the Great Lakes. Never lived more than about 1 mile from a Beach until I went away to University. Always swam nearly everyday. Sometimes for hours and loved it. Had our favourite spots and bult our own diving Boards and would stay there all day. Then school and work happened. Haven't swam except in a pool for years. Pool swimming just isn't the same.

i loved swimming and fairly good(didn't like the fact my high school didn't have a swim team so swam with the team at the local college) the one thing i hated though was being in the pool for hours because i loved it, but when it came time to get out, realizing it was colder ourtide the pool than inside so sometimes i would just say "screw it" and stay in there and shrivel up like a prune until i had the guts to get out heheh...wondering if anyone else felt this way or i was the only lunkhead

and has anyone ever seen that episode from seinfeld about the pool? boy is that true. add THAT to my list too heheh

Yeah, been swimming for ages, parents always thought it was one of those life and death things (and apparantly I'm not good enough still for their standards) for when a plane crashes in the ocean or a boat sinks. I guess being comfortable around water is a good thing - just as long as you don't get over confident at the beach and get caught up in some rip...

I did a lot of swimming when I was younger cos I had asthma and did life saving courses and all that kinda stuff but don't swim anymore and am not really interested in doing so.

i dont like swimming but i can swim, in primary school we went swimming every week. Infact i changed my mind, i do enjoy swimming, hehe because the local swimming center where i live is a great place to meet girls :angry:

I didn't swim at all growing up, we just never did it. Later in university, that's when I started to learn and it was extremely funny swimming next to 5 year olds lol. Now I can swim, but I rarely do it, mainly during the summer when it's nice and hot :angry:.

I've been taught how to swim when I was a kid, especially in school since swimming was a important part of the cirriculum. While I'd say that i'm a reasonably good swimmer, i'm definitely not up to standards of those that swim on a competitive basis.

yeah i didnt know how to swim til i was 15 years old... after l learned how to swim i can stop doing it its fun and exiting! if no one has tryed to do it i recommend it plus you get a work out!!!!

you must be great at swimming....well i also know how to swim and i learnt almost all of it myself. but definatly i am not as good as you.

lol me too. Except now I'm a waaaaaaaay better swimmer. I don't like swimming as much as my friends (i like soccer more) but I have to becuase I have asthma (grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr) Btw just out of curiousity how fast are you/what is your fastest time for 100/50 free?

Took lessons way back there. Remember very little though. I know how, and can do it well for hours. It is a favorite sport of mine, although I don't get out enough to do it. there are those public pools that always have some unknown thing swimming in them. Or there is a private pool which costs a fortune to out in. The thuird option? Alpine swimming. If you are camping or way out, that is cool.

I love swimming but I don?t like swimming pools too much. I prefer beaches a lot, so I swim mostly on summer (constantly) and spring. I don?t have a very polished style anyway, but I don?t get drown. :angry: