xisto Community
delivi

Microsoft Says Gmail Is A Virus

It seems that Microsoft has started flagging Gmail as a virus in their virus scanning software Windows Live OneCare. Many people are reporting that every time they open Gmail, a warning is displayed telling the user they are infected with "BAT/BWG.A".
Now, either Gmail is a virus, or Microsoft is generating false positives. Some affected by this "virus" say other anti-virus products do not pick up the infection to me, this is a bit suspicious.

So who should be responsible for fixing the problem? Either Google can wait for Microsoft to update their virus definitions (I don't know how often that happens, or if this will be fixed when it does), or they can identify what is being flagged and change it right away to avoid annoyed users. Another question I have is weather any sort of legal action can be taken if this continues for an extended period of time, and it turns out to be false?

One thing is certain, those who use Windows Live OneCare and Gmail are all worried they have a virus they can't get rid of. Some might even get frustrated enough to either quit using Gmail or Windows Live OneCare depending on which one they think is to blame.

Source: ZDNet

More great news from Microsoft. I suppose his little things are part of their plans of weaken their competitors. Instead of steady fight by comparing their products (it?s no strange, because they will lose that way) their strategy is creating conflicts with programs and applications so users with no idea will think that everything that don?t get on well with Windows is bad and have to be avoided or deleted.

That is very interesting, i do not use windows antivirus but i must say, microsoft has very good products, we know that they are all insecure, but that is because of the great functions/features it has, one can not have it all!One more thing, if it is on purpose, that is pretty smart of microsoft, and i am sure if it is, windows will win the war, meaning, people will prefer windows products instead of google, and microsoft will always win, that is a fact, no matter what google does, i still prefer microsoft products, with a very few exceptions.

i still prefer Microsoft products, with a very few exceptions.

but do you agree with falsely accusing another software manufacturer of creating a virus in order to drop its sales?

Basically MS are scum, this is as low as you can get. First they start by telling the world linux is a virus and is also illegal and now gmail. I very much doubt its a coincidence.

Making viruses is illegal, everyone knows that, and Microsoft is acussing Google of making one? thats is so serious and the law can take Microsoft down, i mean, its obvious that gmail isnt a virus, thats why i dont think Windows or MS or whatever will win the war, Google hasnt done anything bad there but MS did.Microsoft guys look kinda desesperated or something... they think all the companies will be at their level and are trying to lower their sales.

Well, bill gates made a virus, and look where it got it? Well, no where. He's till making billions of dollars. He probably bought his way out of trouble.

Of course, there's also the possibilitie that google gmail is a virus in some way, i do not think so, but it is possible.I do not think microsoft would do something like that, Bill Gates has more money then "God" Himself, why he would accept his programmers to do this stupid thing, i do not think so, i think google programmers have study the microsoft code in order to create this error in microsoft antivirus, of course, that sounds stupid too, but that is one of the other possibilities!Another possibility is that not google nor microsoft programmers wanted this to happen, which i think is most likely.

but do you agree with falsely accusing another software manufacturer of creating a virus in order to drop its sales?

Basically MS are scum, this is as low as you can get. First they start by telling the world linux is a virus and is also illegal and now gmail. I very much doubt its a coincidence.

I have to agree with you there - microsoft have hit a new low. Just what the hell are they planning by telling everyone "don't use (another companys service), it's a virus!"? I wonder how long it will be before this gets microsoft sued like the jerks that they are.

Bill Gates has more money then "God" Himself

Now that just made me laugh. It really goes to show how rich people believe BIll Gates is, and how they find him untrustworthy because of it. Edited by NDPA (see edit history)

Thats what you get when you use antivirus software like that. Why use that antivirus software when there are a whole lot of other options that have been around for years, and that can be trusted? By the way, some of the other options are free, so that makes them an even better option. I dont know much about that antivirus but for it to make up things like that kind of tells you what kind of antivirus protection you are getting.

The more Microsoft continues to perform stunts like this the more they are going to drive people away from them. And for the record: Windows IS a virus! :P

<br />Hey, DOS was not a virus. It worked quite well. It's when he startedcreating Windows that he got in to the virus business.<br />

<br /><br /><br />Yeah but DOS was bought off of some other programmers by Bill Gates who merely modified it before marketing it.

Anyways, I HIGHLY doubt microsoft would pull such a stunt. It's stupid and really would hurt themselves more than anything and they know it. I mean, look at all of us in this thread. We hear Microsoft is framing Gmail, we feel angry at microsoft. That's not what their looking for, trust me.

I think this is an error in the code, a mistake on microsoft's part which is flagging the false virus. Nobody is framing anyone imho, just some mistakes in the code.

And then again, with competition building between the two giants, who knows what's going on, eh?