xisto Community
delivi

Microsoft Says Gmail Is A Virus

Yea, I'm also tending to agree with the people who are saying that Microsoft did that to weaken their competition. It's a terrible thing to do, but when you think about it, it was Google's mail that came out with the best email program lately with the most space and all... and after that, Microsoft tried to copy it, and it still wasn't as good as Gmail is and turned out terribly slow... so what do they do? Find something to knock Gmail down a few pegs. Lets add some code to our Anti-virus program that will find a false positive in something that is present within the Gmail site. I really wouldn't put it past them to do this.Then again, it could be a couple other options as well. Perhaps the people that created and tested the anti-virus program didn't test it enough, and didn't realize that it would go off for the millions of people that use Gmail. And now maybe they are out there trying to fix it now... who knows? Or it could be that they didn't have any idea that it would happen, but the person that didn't test the code enough just got a big promotion for being so sneaky and letting something like that slide out.I don't really know the cercumstances behind it all (cause I don't work there), so it's all just speculation from my point. But the only thing that would really prove to me that they didn't mean to do it would be to fix the problem right away - and if they are feeling really sorry (yea right) to even send out an appology to Google. I'd like to see that day arrive lol

i too agree with 4/5 of the people on this forum who say that microsoft is scooping down to a new low.Microsoft is just mad because they are not making all of the money that they used to because there are better programs out there than their own and they know that people are switching to them because their products suck.I saw someone say on here that the reason microsoft's software is so insecure because of all of the features that it offers and so they focused so much on the features and not enough on security. i do not see microsoft products having allot of features. i mean look at IE vs FF, you can add all the features and skins you want to FF where as IE you're stuck with boring old skin with practically no features.Basic point is, Microsoft is trying to get temselves out of a hole they cant, first this, then accusing linux of stealing microsofts patents. If they want to start talking about peoples patents lets talk about the stuff that microsoft stole from Mac.

Now i've heard it all. Microsoft directly trying to elmiate their comptition.

Lmao! Sorry to break it to you, but this would be nothing new. Microsoft's modus operandus is anti-competition.
Now with the whole Linux patent war too, I don't really know what to think anymore.

"I would like to confirm that this was a false positive and let you know that we pushed a fixed signature to Windows Live OneCare users today.
We will investigate how this false positive happened and take steps to minimize the risks of additional incidents." Ziv Mador, response coordinator in the Microsoft Antimalware team.

Source:http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Umm i think you all should have went back to the site and do a bit reading for yourself if you all had actually went to the site and see that he had update the article and it said that it was a false positive which means that there was a test and the result implying a condition exists when in fact it does not. So all you who was talking all that crap about how microsoft will do something like this should feel kind of stupid right now cause the problem was fixed. Why would microsoft care about g-mail it may be there competition but g-mail is just like macs the majority of people have a hotmail account g-mail accounts are new and not much people who are computer savvy know about what mail provider is better. As long as they get there email that is all they care about.

They call Linux a cancer and now this. Frankly I am not surprised because everything that isn't Microsoft is apparently bad according to them.

if you had read my previous post it says that it was a false positive looks like know ones reads anything anymore :)

if you had read my previous post it says that it was a false positive looks like know ones reads anything anymore :)

Usually I try to, but I guess my brain failed me this time.

If it went down to not using one program or service over the other. I'd quit using the Live One Scanner. It take too long to scan viruses anyways and its a system hog. Takes a long time to start up too. It might be a good virus scanner but i can deal without it. There's other alternatives out there. I think Gmail can not be a virus. Maybe the cookies it stores or someone stores viruses in their gmail inbox or something. I have no idea. hahhaI think Microsoft finding google products to be a virus is sort of a too direct attack on Google. Oh well let the war begin. haha. Just kidding.

Seriously Street you think more people use hotmail? Argh, I hope not, at least use Yahoo or something, if new people to the internet are still screwing with hotmail I feel sorry for them. Gmail has a cult following, once you get your first account you can't stop and will refuse to use any other service. That makes people toss out invites like hotcakes.How long did it take Microsoft to fix the mistake? They probably knew about it rather quickly, but let it go long to turn a few users away because very-casual users will freak if they see anything about a virus.

I've been using gmail since the summer, I have not (not that i know of) had a virus yet. I use norton, but somehow it seems that probably microsoft just wants to run google out :\

Microsoft is clean and plain nuts! They can't sink this low! How can they say that Gmail is virus? Google is almost at Microsoft level with all their products now and ol' Billy(or his employees) is starting to get scared. Gmail can't be virus. Why would Google do that? They don't need anything from us rather than our support. Microsoft is just crazy.P.S. However if I'm wrong about this I've just said a lot of stupid stuff that puts me in bad light.

Microsoft is clean and plain nuts! They can't sink this low! How can they say that Gmail is virus? Google is almost at Microsoft level with all their products now and ol' Billy(or his employees) is starting to get scared. Gmail can't be virus. Why would Google do that? They don't need anything from us rather than our support. Microsoft is just crazy.
P.S. However if I'm wrong about this I've just said a lot of stupid stuff that puts me in bad light.

This was just a false positive. However, if you look at their past business practices, you will see that they have gone much, much lower.

I will reiterate; it was a false positive - Maybe the thread title should be updated...

This was just a false positive. However, if you look at their past business practices, you will see that they have gone much, much lower.

I can not agree more. Remember the whole Mike Rowe lawsuit? Not that it was impeccable or anything, but that seriously hurt their credibilty. I swear Microsoft would sue a 9 year old if it came down to it.