xisto Community
catforum

Do You Enjoy Using Window Xp

Do you enjoy using Window XP  

59 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

When it ran under home edition, I had to wait around 3 to 4 seconds for menus to show up. But when it ran under pro edition, they popped up inmmediately. Everything else is the same.

68284[/snapback]

If you just hovered over them it might be the settings doing that, not the speed of your pc - you can tweak it so that it waits for a certain period of time if you are hovering. Or perhaps it isnt! Anyway...

I think a classic example of annoying-beige-popup syndrome is the one when you first install XP. It simply says:

To make this message disappear, click on the cross in the window.

...or something very similar. And thats it! I mean, honestly, you think I care?

I guess we are kind of stuck with XP, as it is the operating system most modern software is designed for. It also has a lot of new features over 98 and 2k, if you can find them... Yes I know, Linux etc but do you think I'm that smart?

Conclusion: you have to live with it, so start putting up with it :)

- Vacant.

this is what im getting from all those posts, and it is that all of you guys/girls, like XP because it is more User Friendly, can change desktops backgrounds images blahblah. But yeah i also agree taht winXP is more targeted by coders, just bacause it is the OS that is most used. Therefore there are other OS that can be used so you dont get a virus, etc. I also think that people dont like linux because they dont know how to program, and that is ok, but i just think that is one of the main reasons.

Windows XP is really great. What is fantastic about it is the fact that because it's memory management is much more advanced and program orientated the operating system doesn't give way completely if just one program decides to crash. Remember the dreaded "blue screen" in Windows 98 that basically only left the user with one options, hit the reset button. Windows 98 was horribly unstable and just overall terrible. Microsoft have hit the target well with XP's stability and ease of use, not to mention just basically a cleaner and more pleasing general look too.One of my favourite features is also the fact that Windows XP is just champion at detecting devices and setting them up for you. With 98 you always had to look for the drivers on the web and everything or on the CD's that you probably lost about 2 years ago when you bought the PC. When you install XP it makes it a pleasure by setting everything up properly.Does anybody remember when Bill Gates did the first public preview of Windows 98 in 97 and within the first 30 seconds the operating system had crashed with the blue screen- how embarressing is that! In front of all those people. I guess when your worth several billions of dollars you can afford to be embarressed though.Overall XP is the bomb. The only *BLEEP* things are the fact that all it's components take up loads of space and require a fair bit of RAM. But hey, with prices as cheap as they are these days for big hard drives and RAM, people have no excuse to stay on 98, in fact, I feel sorry for anybody who still uses 98 because it is pretty horrid.

I think the best thing about XP is that it has been around for quite a long time. Unlike previous OSes Win 98, Win 2000, and the short lived Win ME the product cycle is significantly longer this time so people don?t have to switch to new ones and have to combat all those compatibility issues. The kernel of XP is reasonably stable then Win 98/ME, after all the Win NT/2000/XP series are built on a more decent kernel, keeping applications and debuggers further away from Ring 0, and thus provided better stability. However, in comparison with Win 2000 and the Linux Kernel, the XP kernel is not much superior, but the size of RAM it uses is much larger then those two OSes. Also, the XP kernel, like the 2000 kernel, reserves 1GB of RAM for internal use, even the kernel needs not such a large amount of RAM and so leaving only 3GB RAM at most for applications. This is one of the many defects of the Windows XP. The XP is solely built to run Intel and AMD CPUs, its compatibility is not as good as Linux. Unlike Knoppix, you can?t run XP on a Compact Disc. XP huge size is formidable. XP also does not offer options for different run levels. Either you are at the recovery mode, or you are at the safe mode, or the normal mode. You cannot choose which level you want to use and so is not as safe as Linux. It can only be installed on disc 1 (if you have two harddisks), unlike Linux. Anyway, I think the graphical user interface of XP is pleasing to the eyes. The built in technology like DirectX is indispensable for 3D games and video. It has a good library of drivers and good hardware support. It is a fool proof OS that dummies will enjoy using.

I?m not a great analist of operating systems. I like Windows XP because I think it?s really much more stable than previous windows versions (at least home versions). But I also find them too much colourful and it seems that they?ve intended to make it difficult to configure some settings by users. But maybe it?s only an impression.

all the windows xp series are good and awesome operating system in os field so far.i have used several os like other windows version and mac,linux.the mac give us a beautiful window and gorgeous feeling;linux bring us souce style when installing software much more convenient,but similar to microsoft product,which make people ignore its novelty.after all,xp come out with improve more bug and offer more useful and good function to us.i think if i am not a grafics maker i would like to work under windows xp os,otherwise,apple mac os must be the best.

Windows XP is good site as long as you dont mess with the whistles of it.i think i have enjoyed virtual desktop and transparency feature a lot.remote desktop connection,windows update,sp2 features are great.there are so many things you can explore in XP.More will be added in the Longhorn but i think we need to update our hardware before arrival of longhorn.i wish one day linux can be as easy as windows is now.

I have only ever used Windows 98, XP and Apple Mac but I think XP is my favourite, but after hearing from all the people that said Linux is good, I would like to try that!

I have used both Windows XP and Mac OS X Panther. I must say that I would take Panther over XP any day. I started out a Mac user and then switched to XP when I found out it had much more compatible programs. The programs, however, were mostly junk. I plan to switch back to OS X, not only because of the superior operating system, but because iLife is included. iLife is a great series. As far as the operating systems go, Mac OS X is much more stable. OS X is unix based, so it crashes far less than Windows. The system itself is much smoother and there are cool features like Expose and the Apple Dock that make using your computer much easier. The best feature about Panther is the simplicity. The computer as a whole is much more user-friendly than Windows XP. That is why I am switching to Apple as soon as a PowerBook G5 comes out. Hopefully sooner than later.

i've only tried out mac OS on other's computers, so i couldn't make a comprehensive decision. i did find though that xp pro was quite easy both to run, user friendly, and also relatively easy to hack. i have it running just the way i want it to run, and have never had any problems with it. the only ones i've heard of are when people who don't know what they're doing get this brilliant idea to reinstall their OS, and then come running for help because they messed up the settings. last week someone came and told me they had encrypted all their files with EFS and then reformatted the C drive, without saving their certificate. what can u say to something like that? in that sense, the 9x systems were better because they were easier to tamper with, but also to recover and repair. i would like to switch over to Linux, but i'm waiting for a better GUI. i don't like working with bare systems. :)

i think that if you compare XP to other M$ products then yeah, its probably their best OS, but, linux is way better, at least from my point of view, and ive only been using it for the past 4 or 5 months, no crashes or anything.I hate when XP crashes, with that blue screen, or lately it hasent been shuting down well, so its just not very good with me. Maybe its different with you but, not with me.

I like using Windows XP. It looks nicer, is easier to use for those who don't know much about computers, it has more features, and more programs are compatable with it. The only thing is that it seems to be more prone to viruses than other operating systems, and over time it runs slower.I run Windows XP and Windows 98 on my computer because I like the features of XP and the simplicity of 98.I have never tried out any linux operating systems so couldn't really tell how good/bad it is compared to those. Of all the Windows operating systems though I think XP is one of the best.

I like to use Windows XP because of the way it looks, but I think it has some flaws. Such as instead of the simple search engine and help it gives you some extra unnecessary stuff. Also XP is easier to get a virus because they have to constantly keep udating XP. Unlike 98 when you update like oncew a year.