xisto Community
Sarah81

How Fast Can You Type?

When I was in school I got used to typing fast without ever looking at the screen untill I complete typing the full stuff from the resource material placed by the keyboard, so everytime while I type in the school labs I always got those baffled 'stares'. I am not sure how fast I am but I know I type faster than most people.Of late with not much typing to do, I have got slower and also errors have started to creep in. Added to it is that nowadays you are more used to the sms way of typing, so whenever you are typing in formal english as this forum requires....sheess..I am getting tired! :lol:

so whenever you are typing in formal english as this forum requires....sheess..I am getting tired!

If you type fast enough you don't have time to getting tired... :lol:

Actually there used to be a job classification of Production Typist, and these people were expected to type at least 120 words per minute with zeo mistakes. When in my stupid keyboarding class there was a woman there taking a course required by her employer for a raise and a promotion, who violated all the rules about posture and all that but her speed was 135 words per minute, she had been a typist for 20 years as a professional, there used to also be certifications given for keypunch operators to keypunch IBM cards for programming computers.When in my earlier years in college 1972 my COBOL programs were written on IBM cards that had to be key punched, usually the programmer would hand a programming sheet to the keypunch operator who would punch out his program and hand back the packet of cards for insertion to the card reader which would run the program, and you should never drop your cards and get them messed up or you would have to go through them one at a time and read them and see what sheet they belonged to or have the cards marked with a felt pen with a number on them in case of such a disaster.

I thought i was reasonably fast.

You are right. Reasonable fast means, as fast as you need.I type just as fast as people are telling me the things which have to be written in my text. So, my speed is fast for my own purposes, as long as I don't have to say "please slow down, I can't type so fast".
Some people type far slower than myself, because they simply don't need to go faster. Some other people have to type faster than me, they simply learned how to at a typing school during a whole week.

-----------------
By the way, I just verifyed my scores in my keyboard teaching program. My speed is 346 keystokes per minute. This is the real typing speed. The number of words/minutes depends from how many keystokes a word is worth.
Is this fast or not ? Depends on where you are compared to an average. "Normal" people are supposed able to type 2 keystokes per second, which means 120 keystokes per minute.
Edited by yordan (see edit history)

There is also a fun (sort of) typing game at Yahoo Games called Typer Shark. You have to look under the Word Games section for it.I used it to get my typing speed back up when I wanted to apply for a new job where I knew there would be a test. Your typing speed during the game will not really reflect your average typing speed because a part of the game is typing numbers and symbols which are not really included in most typing tests. However, it is good practice for general typing and, as I said, almost fun.

I started typing long time ago like when i was 9. I actually learned how to type because of msn. All the typing programs seem so boring I think just chatting on msn is the best way of learning. You wont evin know it but soon you will start typing fast and without evin looking at the keaboard. I think I type about 100 wpm

I never took a full typing course. So I can't technically touch type. I memorized the positions of all the keys though so i can look at the screen without having to check for a key except once in a great while. But forget keeping my fingers properly positioned on the keyboard. i just position my wrists on the edge of the keyboard in relation to the keys and then my fingers hover above everything. For me it makes a difference when i'm typing from a page or from my head. from a page, i would say @50. and from my head, 75 or 80. Then again, I never have time to go chatting, so it's not such a handicap. But yeah, I agree, it's just practice and you start remembering where the keys are and before you know it, you're typing away at speeds far faster than before. it's just practice and repetition.

I have actualy no idea of how fast I can type. In fact I'm now timing how fast I can type, but I don't thing it's going to be that good, because atm I'm making a lot of mistakes and I don't know what to type, so forgive me if I don't say anything interesting at all :lol:So, I tiped this at about 73 words per minute. Considering the fact that I normaly don't make that much mistakes (and because I didn't knew what to type :lol: )and that I'm not typing on the keyboard that I'm used to, I'll probably do something like 90 wpm .

I type around 65 wpm with pretty good accuracy. When I was in elementary school my 5th grade class had a touch typing course. Then in High School in order to take higher level computer classes, you had to pass out of touch typing (take a test and if you did any higher than 35 wpm you passed).I usually don't type 65 wpm all the time because I don't think I can think of things to write that fast. So I'll write something down pretty fast, then there will be a long pause, then I'll continue. This happens to me a lot when I'm writing essays and such...even this thread.

I'm not sure how fast I type anymore... but I can go a while with min. errors. I can "adjust" to a keyboard layout after about 5 minutes since my laptop keyboard is different from my mom's laptop and my Linux system's keyboard is WAY different than the Dell keyboards at school. I can adjust to "unknown" layouts (different laptops, other keyboards) fairly quickly (~5 minutes or so) and then I'm off typing and I can come back to a keyboard layout and "pull it" from memory and then I can easily get going! :lol: lol[N]F

I'm 14 years old and my record was 140 WPM but my average is about 90 - 100 WPM and I think that is ok! I type faster than my brother who is 22 years old and typs for nearly 10 years....

Ive been using a computer for soo long, I can type by looking away from the screen and almost doing anything else. Its like sooo natural for me, I really feel that the keyboard is practically another part of my body...hahaI dont know exactly how fast I could type but I believe I could proabably be up to par with them courtroom typers, haha...Although I do admit I have minor typos during my speed typing sessions...