xisto Community
Sarah81

How Fast Can You Type?

When I was a kid - about 14 or 15 - just about everybody who saw me type commented on how fast I went. Back then, I was at about 80 WPM, but now I'm doing around 100 without too many errors (maybe 3 every minute ... more if I'm typing as I think, because I usually go back to rephrase things).
At community college - a very small school in a rural area - half the class would sit and watch me type. They eventually got used to that and left me alone, but the first few weeks of school were just ... weird. (I was a journalism major, so I spent a lot of time in the lab next to that classroom typing stories and stuff for the student newspaper. Otherwise I don't think I would have had much inclination or reason to do any typing at school in the first place ... which would have been nice.)

Anyway ... then I got to university and nobody notices. I notice students, and some teachers, who type about as fast - or even faster - than I do. Nobody gives a rat's fuzzy backside if I can type fast or if I hunt and peck - which to me is sweet, because I'd rather *not* spend my entire time at a four-year university being known as a freak. *grins*

So ... my fascination with social oddities leads me to ask some questions of you all.

1. How fast do you type? Informal estimates are fine. I only know my "official" typing speed because I was tested for a job interview.

2. Where, if any place, do you get the most reaction?

3. I'm also curious about how other people learned how to type. I pretty much had to learn touch typing to keep up in IRC rooms. The ones I liked limited the number of chatters to 50 ... which is a really big conversation even if only half of the people are actively involved.

G-d, i have no idea how fast i type, but im only 13 and i havn't had as many years as some of the people older than me but if i know what im typing i can type really fast, some people in my school have those laptops because they are retarded and they type with them, if i had one of them i could do all my work so quick and easily because i can type probably faster than i can write.
What Are these tests you can take to test your typing speed.
And Easier way to do all the typing is to set quick keys up, there's a program for windows called function kes and i use to use it all the time, it is really helpful.

Hope this helps

-Lewis

where do you go to check or test yourself? is there a site?

The best is to test yourself at the same site where we did our tests, see a couple of pages above in the present post :

Try here : http://www.typingtest.com/it's really surprising, i know that I am very fast, and with this test said that that I am I am only 59 !

I expected my speed to be at least twice more ! So, I think all of us should use the same test, to have a honest comparison.

1. How fast do you type? Informal estimates are fine. I only know my "official" typing speed because I was tested for a job interview. I'm not sure what my real score is. I've had some tests tell me I typed 150 WPM and I've had some that told me I can type 50 WPM. I don't really know which tests to believe so I guess I'll just wait until I get me a typing job. (IF I get a typing job) That's what I want.I've been obsessed with typing and beating everyone. I just can't increase my speed. I don't get it. I've been typing for over 5 years now and I'm not reaching an extraordinary(sp?) limit that I would like to. I don't know how to improve myself. I try to see what my limit to typing is, but I just mess up. I took a pro typing test and got 50 WPM because I couldn't even spell or pronounce the words they wanted me to type.2. Where, if any place, do you get the most reaction? Mostly school. People look at me like I'm a good typer. I just smile inside my head because I know that my typing skills aren't nothing compared to most peoples.

KayJust had to comment here.First off, I'm using a Dvorak layout. Got sick of Qwerty a couple months ago so I switched, and I don't regret it at all.On Qwerty, I was about 123wpm before I switched. And not many people go too much above about 130 on Qwerty before they kinda... Tap out. (I know people who do, or claim to at least, so I'm not saying it's impossible)Anyway, I've only had Dvorak for like a month or two now, and I know I'm not near as fast as I'm gonna be able to get with it, but I'm at something like 85wpm with it now typing as fast as I can.... Unfortunately, that's with a decent amount of errors, most of the time. :ph34r:Anyway, just thought I'd toss that out there in a topic no one's posted in for a couple months <:((Blame the keyboard on any really strange typos I might make... I still mix up vowels alot cause they're all, like... Right there.))

From the time I started using a computer to now I see a drastic change in my typing speed. Back then I would type incredibly slow where I would delibertly poke at the keys. Sometimes it would also become frustrating to me when I would try to type of a paper, and would always hate it when teachers would assign me papers in which I would have to write and type up. But as the years went by and a gradually started to use the computer more and more, and with the assistance of AIM. My typing skills have vastly improved. I was able to then not look at the keyboard and type but then I would sometimes get various mispellings throughout the times I try to type without looking at the keyboard. Now that I have grown and graduated from college and all. My typing speed could almost be comparable to the people that type out what people say during court sessions. I can literraly type as fast as I can talk and not make much errors. I guess I can thank my current job for that which I am responsible for typing out copy for certain situations of my projects. THere are times when I receive a project and the job requires me to type out 10 page papers. After a few of those it seems like my typing speed had to have improved for putting my hands through that much stress hehe. But all in all, I can say Im a very fast typer, I dont think I ever measured my typing speed and accuracy recently. But just take my word for it.

When I was a kid - about 14 or 15 - just about everybody who saw me type commented on how fast I went. Back then, I was at about 80 WPM, but now I'm doing around 100 without too many errors (maybe 3 every minute ... more if I'm typing as I think, because I usually go back to rephrase things).
At community college - a very small school in a rural area - half the class would sit and watch me type. They eventually got used to that and left me alone, but the first few weeks of school were just ... weird. (I was a journalism major, so I spent a lot of time in the lab next to that classroom typing stories and stuff for the student newspaper. Otherwise I don't think I would have had much inclination or reason to do any typing at school in the first place ... which would have been nice.)

Anyway ... then I got to university and nobody notices. I notice students, and some teachers, who type about as fast - or even faster - than I do. Nobody gives a rat's fuzzy backside if I can type fast or if I hunt and peck - which to me is sweet, because I'd rather *not* spend my entire time at a four-year university being known as a freak. *grins*

So ... my fascination with social oddities leads me to ask some questions of you all.

1. How fast do you type? Informal estimates are fine. I only know my "official" typing speed because I was tested for a job interview.

2. Where, if any place, do you get the most reaction?

3. I'm also curious about how other people learned how to type. I pretty much had to learn touch typing to keep up in IRC rooms. The ones I liked limited the number of chatters to 50 ... which is a really big conversation even if only half of the people are actively involved.

I'm fourteen right now, and when I took one of my teacher's test last year it was 55WPM. I think I can do faster when I'm coding PHP/actionscript, but I'm not sure. Does anyone know a good wpm test?

I'm fourteen right now, and when I took one of my teacher's test last year it was 55WPM. I think I can do faster when I'm coding PHP/actionscript, but I'm not sure. Does anyone know a good wpm test?

It isn't by any means accurate enough to be used for any official purposes...
But I usually use http://www.typingtest.com/ to get any sort of estimate on my typing speed.
You just click on the "Start Now" link or whatever on the main page and then choose the text you would like to type...
I tihnk they recently added new avaliable texts and removed some of the old ones, which is good because my readings were getting inaccurate after months of using the same four templates, I started to have pattern memorized.

Overall though, it's what I use to get my reading.
It'll give you a WPM on the side of the screen as you type, but I wouldn't recommend watching that much or it'll probably distract you from typing >__>
It gives you a full breakdown on your stats at the end (Gross Speed, Net Speed, Errors, Etc)

Gross speed, I think is your speed without errors, and Net is your speed including any misstyped words.
You can also choose to have it give you a test for CHaracters Per Minute (I think) though I've never tried it.

I just generally do a 1 minute WPM test...

Though, I'm pretty sure the readings are more accurate the longer the test is... So if you want the closest to accurate reading you can get, do the (I think the max is 3) 3 minute test.

I also seem to type faster touch typing too. (not looking at keyboard)

And I guess that, when typing without looking at the keyboard, you type incredibly faster with incredibly more errors ?

Let me type very fastLejmqsfmk fjĂ e fmlky fast
indredibly jjjjjjj and faster

i type a word that are 5 nombers long in like less then 2 secs

The challeng is typing in a standardized frame during a long time (like ten minutes) in order to see the numer of words you can type per minute. Typing five words in a short time is easy, typing five thousand words is less easy, at the end you type really slowly.

I touch-type, though I've never tried to determine my WPM and I have no idea what it would be, certainly nowhere near what the OP said. Right now I'm thinking about making errors so I'm making lots of them, when I'm thinking just about what I'm typing I go faster.