xisto Community
Sarah81

How Fast Can You Type?

I'm also curious about how other people learned how to type.

Funny topic, but it is required at times.
The way I learned typing is bit odd. I asked one of my friends, who knew typing, to sketch the keyboard layout on a plane paper. This was the time when I was about to buy my first PC. I did not really feel the need to go to a type-school to learn typing.

So my first practice began on a plane piece of white paper containing Keyboard layout. I went on doing long practice over that paper just like others do in a type-school using a typewriter. And when I got the PC (can't recollect, may be after couple of weeks), I really had no trouble to manage Keyboard.
That's it.

I use the keyboard a lot, as well as piano. So "technically" i should be very well capable of using many fingers. I still seem to only use 2 à 4, yet I'm happy enough about my speed. I think of checking some guides or stuff like that this summer to improve my keyboard leetness.

I can type 70 wpm,which is pretty good considering that i'm just 10 :D

If you're really 10, and if you really used the test mentionned above and reached 70wpm continuously during one full minute, then, yes, really, congratulations !
Yordan

Interesting topic. I tried the test and was shocked, only 55 wpm on two different tries. Once upon a time I could better than 80, back in the day ;-)I learned on my own with an instruction manual and an electric typewriter. I think I was faster before I used computers regularly, before M$ Word started correcting my errors, for better and worse.Good for you all and your fast fingers. I had the impression that learning to type well was going by the wayside because of many factors: fewer office jobs require fast typing, text messaging with thumbs, 1337 speak, etc. Glad to know the keyboard isn't going away any time soon.

Well i AM a kid that is 15 years old lmao and in my Digital Communications class when i typed what i wanted to like a report or something it said i typed about 80-90 wpm. But it gets lower when i type words that i have to think about of how to spell like hyppotpatamus lmao if that is even spelled RIGHT lmao. but i get the biggest reaction in all of my classes when we go to a c omputer lab or do a prject on the computer they always tell im a computer "geek" lmao but i dont appear to be one =pi first learned to type by my self. I used to type like a retard lol but no i have mastered it almost because i just was on the computer a lot playing neopets lmao. I geuss you could say neopets taught me a lot of things like HTML and CSS and how to type lmao all this how to use the internet browser and all kinds of things. Neopets really got me into computer programming and i now make games on my computer and sell them at my school for like $2 a piece lol. I ve made around $500 dollars and i jut bought a hardrive for my psp and i also program homebrew for that. =p

When I was (I believe) Eleven years old, I was typing something around 75-85 average. Now, I've gotten much- much faster, and although I haven't done a typing test for a while, I'm most likely something around... Say, 100-125, maybe faster if I'm creating in my mind what I am going to type rather than reading it off the computer screen. Does anyone here have a typing test site that works well? If so, please personal message it to me, thanks.Maxfelgar.

When I was (I believe) Eleven years old, I was typing something around 75-85 average. Now, I've gotten much- much faster, and although I haven't done a typing test for a while, I'm most likely something around... Say, 100-125, maybe faster if I'm creating in my mind what I am going to type rather than reading it off the computer screen. Does anyone here have a typing test site that works well? If so, please personal message it to me, thanks.

Maxfelgar.

Try here : http://www.typingtest.com/

it's really surprising, i know that I am very fast, and with this test said that that I am I am only 59 !

Posted Image

I expected my speed to be at least twice more ! So, I think all of us should use the same test, to have a honest comparison.

I'm satisfied with my results, 65 words per minute. Though I doubt someone will require me to type that fast at this moment. Maybe in a few years, but not now :(

Typing fast is very interesting if somebody explains something and you need to write it down. if you type fast, you will be able to type as fast as he speaks. if you type slow, you will need to ask him "pleas slow down, I cannt follow".

Well, for that you need to be rather fast. And the requires a lot of practice. I believe that if you start early enough, it will come with time, no need to focus on typing fast.

Wow, I'm worse then I thought. 41 wpm with 2 errors, so it was 39 wpm. Now, I know I took keyboarding back in high-school and I was much faster than that. I guess as I get older, I get lazier. I don't type as a job or for school, I only do it recreationally, so maybe that has something to do with it. One of the problems I had with that test though was that the word you were working on changed color. It kept messing me up. I think if I was able to just go along without the color change, I would have done better.

1. How fast do you type? Informal estimates are fine. I only know my "official" typing speed because I was tested for a job interview.

Around 80 wpm. But it also depends on the keyboard. On some keyboards I can go faster, but on some I go way slower. The keyboards I have at school are horribly sticky, so it's impossible to type very fast. The fastest keyboard would have to be my laptop keyboard.

2. Where, if any place, do you get the most reaction?

My mom, because apparently she's trying to learn to type faster so she can get her qualifications for certain jobs.

3. I'm also curious about how other people learned how to type. I pretty much had to learn touch typing to keep up in IRC rooms. The ones I liked limited the number of chatters to 50 ... which is a really big conversation even if only half of the people are actively involved.

Well, mostly reports and other stuff for school (that was back before I started using the computer for more leisurely stuff). Then there was this typing program at our school (third grade)...but I don't think that actually helped much, since most of my improvement came a bit later, after I started with HTML and Java. And of course, chatting does help me learn to type faster, but it doesn't help me improve my accuracy. That just gets worse.