xisto Community
Sarah81

How Fast Can You Type?

I'm not that good but i can type like 4 words in 6 seconds i don't know why i'm not better sometimes i mistype words by mistake i should take play with those typing games i heard about plus their awesome to play and i need learn how to type better and faster if i want to get a job in computers and crap tho maybe in few years i'll know a lot more. :)

i am a super fast typer. When i was in grade school everyone would comment on how fast of a typer i am. i am online and use my typing skills a lot. all of the experience has caused me to type faster. I learned how to quickly type in a fast speed when in grade school.1. I believe that i type about 90 - 100 words per minute.2. the most reaction that i get would have been when i was in grade school (which was a small private school) 3. again i learned to type from the grade school that i attended.

Back in High School (I'm 25 now and can type as fast or faster) everyone used to stare at me while I typed so I can definitely relate.  Although when I got stares nobody actually thought I was typing anything, they just thought I was mashing on the keyboard.  Then they would walk up, and after closer inspection see I was doing typing tests with 95% to sometimes 100% accuracy at over 140 WPM. As you would expect, most people would **** their pants when they saw I was really typing. I actually got an award at the school I hit 161 WPM on one of their tests with no errors.  Not sure what the world record is, never looked into it, but I'm sure it can't be too far out of reach for me.  Anyways that's what I can remember of it.

-reply by Ethan

if you don't work into a Legal Court, or something like this, I don't think is possible to type more than 70-90 WPM :D My regular speed is around 80-90 if I'm watching at keyboard sometimes and around 50-60 if I'm looking none.

I tried on typingtutor. My speed wasn't that great. I managed to get 50-60 WPM. I know it's not that great. But i managed to pull that so far. I have to improve as apart from technical support i do have some typing job as well for document creations. For this i need to be fast with the job of typing. I mean i need lot of practice. I use too much of mouse i think. I need to limit the use of mouse. More keyboard usage improves the speed of typing. Any good site for improving typing speed. Typingtutor was free version on my pc. I can't spend on paid versions as of now. Any suggestion for free typing tutor softwares ?

There are many but is not helping you so much if you want to learn. Is better to open your editor, something like Microsoft Word and start to write something from a book, or after a cd, like story, ect. Is more faster to learn and I'm talking from my experience.

Thanks yordan. Goodtyping site looks good. There is one more site "typeonline.co.uk". It focuses on very basic typing issues. But it fixed a lot of errors in me. I'll go through lessons of these two site for now. After a month or so, i'll update here with the results.

The lessons will seem rather stupid, but it simply means that your fingers have to get trained to do very unusual jobs.
That's why you will have to do some works like
"Please type without any errors the following words

idea idea idea idea idea idea idea idea idea idea idea idea idea idea idea idea idea idea idea idea idea idea idea idea idea idea idea idea idea idea idea idea idea idea idea idea poppa poppa poppa poppa poppa poppa poppa poppa poppa poppa poppa poppa poppa poppa poppa poppa poppa poppa poppa poppa poppa poppa poppa poppa pappo (error!)

Just try typing four lines with poppa and you will almost start crying. And what about idea? But your fingers have to know where the p, o, a, i, e, d keys are and find their place naturally, fast and easy even in the worst situation/combination.

Is better to open your editor, something like Microsoft Word and start to write something from a book

That's true, I also did that, but within a second step.During the first step you really nead the "poppa" and "idea" exercises, and there are very few books where you can find them. I found them in the documents delivered to secretaries when they attend a typing training course. In these training courses they give you graduated difficulty exercices, starting with "papa", going through "idea", to the ultimate test "Voyez ce brick gÊant que j'examine près du wharf", which, besides the language problem, also have a lot of alfabet letters grouped in a single sentence.

:D hehe. typing poppa makes my fingers go wild. I tried it and from "poppa" i shifted to "popa", "poopa" and many other changes in same word. It make me laugh how i managed to type something different. I think if stop and look at keyboard and then type then we kind feel wrong and stop slowly. I tried to look at monitor and just typed it without looking and found that i was doing much better without looking at board. It's just that fear in mind, makes more mistakes sometimes. And typing on MS word, does help. But what in case of writers block ? you can't motivate most of time and just for typing practice it's hard to motivate to open and spend time on MS word. I think having blog and writing for it helps in such case. I mean to write article we have to motivate and use editor. But different people different views to look at motivation and writers block.

I tried to look at monitor and just typed it without looking and found that i was doing much better without looking at board. It's just that fear in mind, makes more mistakes sometimes.

OK, that's part of it. However, remember that the final goal is typing without looking at the keyboard and without looking at the monitor. For instance you should be able to type a sat of 20 "poppa" without errors. If you do a mistake, you have to try again until having type two poppa rows without any error. After that, the fingers know where these three keys are, no need to look at the keyboard for typing poppa. Tomorrow you start with "apple", same goal, same constraints. In real schools they hide both the keyboard and the monitor, and you try again and again until it's perfect.Remember the old days with the typing machines : if there was an error on a page, you had to re-type the whole page.

The lessons will seem rather stupid, but it simply means that your fingers have to get trained to do very unusual jobs.That's why you will have to do some works like
"Please type without any errors the following words

Just try typing four lines with poppa and you will almost start crying. And what about idea? But your fingers have to know where the p, o, a, i, e, d keys are and find their place naturally, fast and easy even in the worst situation/combination.

That's true, I also did that, but within a second step.
During the first step you really nead the "poppa" and "idea" exercises, and there are very few books where you can find them. I found them in the documents delivered to secretaries when they attend a typing training course. In these training courses they give you graduated difficulty exercices, starting with "papa", going through "idea", to the ultimate test "Voyez ce brick gÊant que j'examine près du wharf", which, besides the language problem, also have a lot of alfabet letters grouped in a single sentence.

I don't want to destroy my keyboard, not because is expensive, but is included in my laptop :D I prefer to learn typing faster writing something necessary, useful, not just playing with a stupid program which will make me to destroy something from my house. My first typing program I used was on an old Nintendo (year 98 maybe), I had a Nintendo for my TV and a keyboard for it. My cartridge had a game for learning to type faster. I played 10 minutes in total, when I was bored :P For me was more fascinating to see the Russian characters, cuz the game could help you to learn Russian characters. On the screen appeared "A" in russian, you needed to push "A" from the keyboard (US). I never learned more than 3 letters.

I don't want to destroy my keyboard, not because is expensive,

ahem! While typing, you should ear "click" when you press a key, if you ear "wham!" that effectively means that you are destroying your keyboard. Which is somewhere only a material problem. But this also means that your typing movement is false, you will get tired very fast and some muscles and bones receive abnormal sollicitation.If you want to write your own book, when your training is finished you can fluently type hours long, without being tired, and your keyboard will only make "click" sounds.
The only keyboard I destroyed was on the machine devoted to the "Death Rally" game, the "left" and the "fire" keys had problems.

My typing skills are decent. If I try to type really fast I always end up making a bunch of grammatical errors and such so I tend to just slow it down and make sure that everything makes sense, for the most part. Unlike some people, I actually do not use the correct format when typing. Like, where you have to put four fingers on the ASDF keys and other four fingers ont the JKL; or whatnot. I figured out that I am a much faster typer when I do not do that, so guess what I do nto do... type properly :D