xisto Community
wazzupster0204

Is It Worth It To Get Gmail ? Is Gmail Good?

I like Yahoo\

Is It Worth It To Get Gmail ? Is Gmail Good?

I am toying with the idea of leaving yahoo mail for a GMail account. The thing I love about Yahoo is the spam protection I get from email aliases. I have a bunch of them from wbmb-toss@yahoo.Com that I give away to just anyone on the internet to wbmb-friends that I give to my friends. If any of those aliases start getting load up with spam I can simply delete the alias and the regular email address stays clean.

Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks!

-question by Will

Well, Gmail is excellent in terms of storage space and mail options. The interface is modern, and messages can be read with utter ease. The chat options are excellent, and the load time for the mail client itself is good. Yahoo, like you said, has a top-notch spam protection (even the basic!), but I would think about the spam protection on Gmail versus Yahoo before switching.

Well I love gmail. However you get a lot of other stuff with Google. You should try out Google Chrome too. It is the browser that Google has. There are other provisions when you sign up with a Google account that you may like. One is free storage for pictures. I find that particularly useful because I do not want to use up my disk space.

I have unlimited storage with my Yahoo email account. However Google has a lot of storage too. I find it handy to have more than one email account. Gmail is free. That is one thing to take into account. You also get free blog space with a Google account. That is something to think about.

Try it out for yourself. That is the only way you will be able to tell. People have different ideas of what they want.
:rolleyes::P

Hi,
I've been debating for a while about getting Gmail, but a few of my friends said it was horrible. I would like to know if it is really worth it getting another email account. What are the benifits and the bad things, too?

Thanks,

Erich B :P

I personally very dislike the interface of Yahoo mail, it's just terrible, Gmail interface of webmail is much better while using and besides those things with large inbox, most of us don't need to much space anyways..Also, hotmail is much slower and requires more traffic/bandwidth than Gmail, but it's quite nice, even though I don't use it.

Yeah!!! Gmail - 7 GBs space!!! Chat right in the window!!! Easy mail sorting.. (color "labels"!!)
get it man!

Gmail is brilliant! It beats other email providers easily!Have a look around he forums, there have been quite a few other posts regarding Gmail and comparing it to other (lesser) email providers. Have a quick look for them, I'm pretty sure you'll find your answers there.

Hope this helps :mellow:
saxsux

PS Welcome to Xisto! Enjoy your time here!

Gmail for me has been great. They have a search thing so you can search your old emails to find stuff. Also, they have tons of space, over 7Gb. THey don't use folders to organize though. They have theres tag things. You tag your mail, and archive them, and if you want to look through your old mail just click type in one of the tags. The spam folder also collects alot of junk mail, but some slip buy every now an then.

Is It Worth It To Get Gmail ? Is Gmail Good?Is It Worth It To Get Gmail ? Is Gmail Good?

Gmail includes simply the best features when compared to all other existing mail services.

To name a few 'Auto Forwarding through Filtering', Receiving and Sending mails from other E-mail accounts'  and 'Option for saving Gtalk conversations'. These three features are available only with Gmail and not with any other free email service.

Yahoo and other services have forwarding feature but not forwarding after filtering.

Many free email services do Receive and Send mails from other accounts. But the mails we send add tag 'on behalf of xxx@yyy.Com'. Gmail is just brilliant in this case as it sends from the other account server.

Now a days we see messenger embedded in the mail interface but only Gmail has the option to save the conversations.

But I don't open Gmail just because it eats out my time freezing my system all the time. So  its better to  use Gmail on fast networks. No doubt I use all of Google features Gmail, Gtalk,  Blogger, Bookmarks, Notepad, Books, Dictionary, Picasa, Orkut, Wave, Videos, Youtube, Docs, Search etc.,

So I only suggest everybody to maintain one Google Account as it is useful in many ways.

-reply by Pawan Alluru

I am a proud user of Gmail, Yahoo! mail and even hotmailI'm having the best of all those worlds:Gmail: Gmail is powerful for his memory and respond times;Yahoo!: you can do a lot organizing using this stuff;hotmail: well... all of my friends have it :D this was my story of todayJim Out :)

Well gmail is not good with slow internet connection. as it takes some time to understand connection is slow. then tries to load the stripped version of it. this makes it very bad for using it in places where there is slow internet connection. You can try to use it with dialup with most of the time stripped version. It's good for most of the fast connection users but other than that you can also use it for hosting your domain mail. I've setup gmail for most of my needs with domain mail. It gets setup very fast and you'll be able to send and receive mail in few minutes. Verification and setup of hosted mail is fast and easy to use.

Sometimes gmail takes awesomely long time to load, even though my Internet connection is rock solid at that moment. I have heard, its occasionally the problem at gmail servers or may be its just that my ISP cant connect to gmails serves. At that time i just enter m.gmail.com for mobile version, most of the time it works. Also, when
https://accounts.google.com/ServiceLogin?service=mail&passive=true&rm=false&continue=
https://mail.google.com/mail/
doesn't work
https://accounts.google.com/ServiceLogin?service=mail&passive=true&rm=false&continue=
https://mail.google.com/mail/
would work and vice versa. Just my experience.

according to me gmail rocks its having all the feature i was looking for in a an email service provider, really its great but as usual you cant take everything for granted same with gmail its not the best even gmail can be hacked but its a way bit hard but yes its better than the other you get an virtually unlimited space and for personal use its the best but for commercial i thin gmail sucks and then come the live or yahoo. they are good in commercial use but not at all good for the personal use. Gmail gives you an lifetime account but the limitation for the free service is that only 500 mail per day that means if you are having any kind of company and your clients contact you every now and then then its good to switch the service or pay some bucks to gmail to give you a big privilege and enable you to get more mails. But for the personal its the best there is no doubt other than gmail i will say run for gmail or be a gmailer you get privacy at its best you can customize the account as per your dislike and integrate several thing in gmail via gmail labs and you can even make your own app for the gmail but it going to take the hell out of you to make it but no problem gmail rocks man!

Sometimes gmail takes awesomely long time to load, even though my Internet connection is rock solid at that moment.

Which browser are you using when you experience this problem ? I had this problem with IE6 on Windows XP; I switched to Firefox and it solved this problem.

but the limitation for the free service is that only 500 mail per day that means if you are having any kind of company

I guess it's already a rather big company, for receiving 500 mails the same day. Can one person really read 500 mails during 8 hours ? This would mean answering 60 mails per hour, one mail per minute?

Forget what I posted earlier.GMAIL IS AWESOME. I'ts without a doubt the best online mail service out there.IT HAS MEMORY THAT CAN EXPAND. Soooooo yeah.get it, do it, spam it(that should be their slogon(or something))sooooo, that was meJim Out :)

Gmail used to have loading problems earlier and it still does if I use a slower connection. The only complain I have about Gmail is that its too sneaky. Once you log in to gmail you are logged in to Google as well and anything you search in google gets recorded under your account, as if its some kind of permanent record. Unless you click 'sign out' or delete cookies, your searches continue will be recorded.This comes under storing private information and GOK what google can do with this information. This is the only scary thing about Gmail. Otherwise it is quite a good service and keeps out spam better than the others :)