xisto Community
wazzupster0204

Is It Worth It To Get Gmail ? Is Gmail Good?

Gmail used to have loading problems earlier and it still does if I use a slower connection.

With a slow connection, there is an option "use previons version". This goes faster with slow connections and you see your mails correctly. However it does not have the new features, like the online chat.

With a slow connection, there is an option "use previons version". This goes faster with slow connections and you see your mails correctly. However it does not have the new features, like the online chat.

Yeah the "Basic HTML" option does speed things up a bit, but it's still slow when compared to other mail service providers like Yahoo. By slow connections I'm talking about GPRS or dial-up. On these, GMail does seem to slow down a bit, but one has to admit that the features on offer are worth the wait :)

Hi,
I've been debating for a while about getting Gmail, but a few of my friends said it was horrible. I would like to know if it is really worth it getting another email account. What are the benifits and the bad things, too?

Thanks,

Erich B :)

I have been using gmail from the day I learnt to make an email account. I have never looked for any other service what so ever and why should I be looking for another service. What is the feature that you wont get with gmail account. The best of all is that you are getting more than 7 GB space for free. Not even a buck is charged of you. Other great features of gmail include the reliability of google which is also the best of the best. Also there are new features like google buzz, bookmark sync, and many others. I think google is better than many of the paid email services.

Yeah, i use and preffer GMail because definitely is the best email service. It has the next opportunities:1. Authentication (OAuth) to Gmail address book making it clear that you were not providing your Gmail passsword to a 3rd party web site.2. Default level of access only provided names and salted hashes of email addresses from address book (possibly 3rd party web site part of salt)3. Allow only a limited number of actual email addresses to be requested in a time period.There is less spam and better view design than my Yahoo email. I have enabled Gmail Labs, pretty nice addons made to help you while you browse you email. I have enabled the Lab Mouse gestures and his use is to use your mouse to navigate with gestures. Holding right-click and moving the mouse to left is going in the previous conversation, moveing to it the right is going to the next conversation and moving it up is to go back to the inbox view. It has many many other Lab addons for you Gmail. I recommend it to everyone, 100% pleasure. Enjoy. :)

I think that GMail is probably the best email host there is at the moment. The features that GMail offers are godly and they are completely free. You get 7.5 GB of space at your will so you can archive all of your emails and never have to delete an email. They also have themes, Google Labs (plugins that you can implement into your GMail account), access to Google Docs, Google Talk, and Google Tasklist. GMail is pretty much an all-in-one thing. I really like it because it feels really homelike with all of the features such as Calendar, Themes, etc. which make everything accessible in one place. I use POP to link all of my other email accounts to GMail to access them all in one place as well. Also, I like it better than other email providers because they have a really good SPAM protection unlike Yahoo! or AOL! where I get around 20 SPAM messages a day without even giving my email away. GMail does display ads in your account but they are removable in the settings. If you know a lot of people who use GMail, then you might find a use for Google Buzz which is a lot like a facebook wall between your friends where you post your life updates and whatnot. GMail also includes new updates and features every few months which is pretty awesome considering they already have is already enough.

What can be considered to be a big disadvantage of gmail is that the system of gmail can move the emails. When an answer to an email message is recieved and when a second email is sent to the same email address the first email gets attached to the second email. This means that it is sometimes hard to find an email because those emails are not stored according to the date the email is received.

It's another way to store the mails, once you are used with it you find it very comfortable.When you send a mail to your cousin, the answer is attached to this mail. If you label this mail "cousin", you find it easily in the "cousin" folder.If you reply to the answer, it's still the same mail, your reply and his reply are again attached to the same mail.If you send a second mail, the answer is attached to the second mail, so you have two mails in your "cousin" folder.Each mail is on it's own subject, and each mail has the whole history attached.

I've had Gmail since 2005. It is worth everything. It is one of the best email systems to happen to the Internet! The fact that I can search something from 6 years ago is amazing! I archive the majority of my email and after 6 years, I'm at around 40% full. When you eventually do run out of space, than you could easily create another email and just have everything forwarded to it so you won't have to actually change your original email which is probably linked to so much.Love or hate Google, trust it or not, its surely worth it to have a Gmail account -- most companies will probably unofficially respect you more for having a Gmail account. It outdoes Yahoo and Hotmail. And it comes equipped with an amazing spam filter. I'd say I get around 3 or 4 spam emails a year. Not bad considering my Yahoo email gets hundreds. GET GMAIL. No longer on an invite system and everyone is free to sign up!

gmail is great for emails but when it comes to instant chat messaging it is not good.Skype, msn messenger and other instant chat messaging is much better than gmail. But gmail for sending emails is very good and because its run by google, their servers will be very secure and you wont need to worry about anything.

gmail is great for emails but when it comes to instant chat messaging it is not good.
Skype, msn messenger and other instant chat messaging is much better than gmail. But gmail for sending emails is very good and because its run by google, their servers will be very secure and you wont need to worry about anything.

Yes, thats right.Gmail isn't that very good at chatting sevices,but i think they're trying to improve it.Anyway

the strongest points of gmail is their server availability and speed and their security . Regarding security,

they've implemented security measures from the beginning : meaning from signing up to logging in the account
to recovering login details - in case of forgetting - using several methods.Which makes Gmail the preferred

service for businesses .

Hope I added some useful info here.

Gmail is a good service, but I think it's best not to use your Gmail account for professional uses.I use my account mainly to set it up for games etc and every week my spam folder has blown up by 1000+ spam mails

90% of my email addresses are by gmail since they do an excellent job of giving you what you need. As for the instant messaging bit, I don't know about since I use softwares like Digsby for messaging.

it's best not to use your Gmail account for professional uses

Why is that? Now that google apps has come about, I think its even better since you get the domain name with the gmail interface.

Why is that? Now that google apps has come about, I think its even better since you get the domain name with the gmail interface.

I guess that, what Horus was saying is that, if you use a mail address for gaming, you will get a lot of spams. So you should not use the same mail address for gaming and for professional uses, because your professional mails will be hidden by a lot of spams.

I must say I love gmail. I have nearly 7-8 gmail accounts but 2 are primary which I use on a daily basis. Gmail gives you ample amount of space, google chat, labs, themes, blog, orkut, reader, books and lots more...I love gmail, although I love my hotmail too but I feel more secure with gmail. The 2-point verification is unbeatable. The best service ever..