xisto Community
prolifik

Which Search Engine Do You Use The Most?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_bomb

not really related to that link, but some of the search engines being mentioned are ran by the same people that run other search engines or are a compilation of search engines. Its really weird to be using and loving a search engine for so long and then find out that some other one you happen to not like is owned by the same people as the one you love.

I used Google for a LONG time, but recently I have switched to Ask.com. You can do more customizable searches and you can't beat those binoculars. :unsure: Also, you gotta love those commercials they put on T.V.

I and I believe everyone else here probably agrees that google is the most used search engine on the internet. Even websites such as yahoo and other competitors are using google as their main source of a search engine. Googles search engine is one of the most accurate that I have used thus far and no other engine can compare. I tried such search engine like askjeeves and such and msn, but those search engines give me more spam results then what google gives me. Google finds me even dead sites and files if used properly. I remmeber I was trying to locate a site that I had made long time ago that was shut down after a long term of unpaid hosting fees, I was able to find my site in googles cache memory. Which I was able to back up some of my work because it had it in its cache memory. If it was for google and its cache memory feature I would have never been able to save my work that I had done so long ago.Google has seem to have expanded to even more than just a search engine, as many of you probably know by now that google has the most advanced map feature to date. With its new mapping technology other map services are trying to immitate what google offers. The map alone not only give accurate directions like it would with its search engine, it gives a satelite close of view of the area itself. I was even able to find my house with its mapping system. Whatever search engine or company that is trying to compete with google with its technological advancements will have a pretty hard time because they are moving so fast that other competitors are having trouble trying to keep up with what they have to offer. They are just making somether that is already out there better, and that is what sells in the market these days things that work efficiently for the public.But back on the topic of googles amazingly great search engine, there has yet to be something that I have not been able to find using google. Without google is like living life without a compass or sense of direction.

I use Google for my primary search engine. It yields the best results with little spam. Although I do use Windows Live Search quite a bit too, I find that it is more better for answering specific questions.

Google also has advanced webmaster tools to enable my site to be more visible and public towards the intended audience. They are trying to index content other than stuff on the Internet. An example is Google Maps and Google Earth. A lot of the other software is based on stuff you could actually use in real life.

I tend to use google but I do sometimes use websearch because it searches some of the common search like google, yahoo. I have occasionly used Ask.

Just wondering which search engine do you guys use for research or plainly looking up something in the web. Google? Yahoo? Lycos? Hotbot? Dogpile? Or do you know of any other search engine in the web, share it with us. I used to go with Yahoo or Lycos. Now, i just Google. <_<

Previously, Yahoo. Google is more accurate and loads faster.

I didn't get this. What do you mean by "..yahoo and other competitors are using google as their source". Yahoo! has its own index, and they use it for searching. Correct me if I am wrong.

I and I believe everyone else here probably agrees that google is the most used search engine on the internet. Even websites such as yahoo and other competitors are using google as their main source of a search engine.

I use Windows Live search a lot these days due to its stunning interface. If you haven't tried it give thier image search a try it looks really nice. Great for finding images quickly.

http://www.bing.com/?fdr=lc

I used to use google, but lately it's just a bit too much google for my likings, google, gmail, picasa, calendar, earth ...So I switched to Yahoo! , it works great and find the most things I'm looking for and if it doesn't (which doesn't happen that often) I'll switch to google.I've also tried Live Search, but found it didn't work with the Opera History Navigation Mode set to 3 (=allways use cache).

Edited by wutske (see edit history)

Wow! This thread was originally made in 2004. Search engines have changed since then. I used to use MSN search and Google search before I got the Google toolbar. Now I just use google alone. There are so many features in it. You can search the web, for pictures, video, news, products, products, do your research with cited resources through Google Scholar, all from the convenience of your web browser. Google is reliable, even though I check with other sources too, such as Yahoo search, just to make sure I don't miss anything. Alot of websites try their best to become the number 1 search on Google, and this probably would defeat the purpose of having a search engine to display pure results. But, yeah, google is the first choice for me!

I generally use Google, mainly because it's displayed on my Firefox start page. However, it also (genenerally) displays the most appropriate search results in my opinion. Another great aspect of the Google website (I shall compare it to Yahoo being one of its top competitors) is that it is simple, uncluttered and straight to the point. The main page of Yahoo is very busy and cluttered in junk and loads images that I don't want to see when I simply want to do a quick search.

I use Google mostly and prefer it over any other. I tried using others but i'm addicted to Google :P . Though i found a new Indian search recently "Guruji" , you can give it a try. Have a look at the following figures -

Google (all) - above 74%

Google.com - 51.53%

Yahoo! Web Sites - 12.16%

Google UK - 9.51%

MSN - 4.34%

Google AdSense for Content - 3.51%

Google Canada - 3.17%

AOL - 2.06%

Above Figures are taken from Wikipedia

Happy Googling :P

Edited by vidit (see edit history)

Google! (Must be an echo in here. XD) It has the largest database and usually provides the most relevant results. Also, it's the default search engine for Opera, so my searches are automatically directed to Google. Furthermore, it doesn't take a lot of time to load since everything's streamlined, and that's important to me since I have a slow connection. Another reason is that it allows me to search for a lot of things, including definitions (define:), which is really useful when I'm studying and going through textbooks (that, oddly, do not have a glossary). All in all, Google is the best, which is why it's now my favourite search engine (used to be Yahoo!). Serena