xisto Community
Ash-Bash

New Staff

Replace staff  

16 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Yeah, good idea...(I've always wondered why there's a Phoneix and a Phoenix.Illusion, both with very similar names myself... smile.gif)

Well thanks for that. I made a mistake while signing I was meant to put Phoenix not Phoneix :P

And I don't understand you either, Ash-Bash...But as I said, I think that new moderators will be very welcomed, but we really don't need it, because even if only a few moderators are active, it's still enough to keep the site in order and running properly, with no one spamming or anything like that. So we don't actually need new mods.

Same im not sure we need them either, We cant as members choose moderators we can only make suggestions. The admins have the power we dont. ;)

Phoneix.

Ok I will explain in more depth as you both do not understand...Basically I will look at the poll on the 31st August and see to which has won the poll, If No has won they I will do nothing but if Yes has won I will make another topic for members to enter themselves in the moderation process. I will explain more if Yes does win.I hope you understand now...

LOL! He has my site as his signature... :P May I ask Phoneix, how are you going to post alot with 3 different accounts?? :P That'll be a bit hard will it not, since I think the myCENTs system logs your IP. ;)

Notice from truefusion:
Try to remain on topic. Thanks.

I think that's a very good point too. I mean, we don't spam that much, and basically no one spams, and do we really need moderators? New moderators will be nice for a change, but we don't really need them at all, do we?
It's a want, not a need.

We certainly need moderators - we just deal with a lot of the spam before people notice it, and we give members quite a lot of help via PMs rather than out in the forums, so people don't necessarily see a lot of the work that goes on. Having a moderating team also acts as a deterrent against people spamming, flaming and such in the first place - people know it's pointless because we'll spot it and deal with it.

Well, I think the moderators are good like they are. Thing is I didn't *$%* know that you could make 3 accounts in Xisto just to get myCENTS. Still, IMO Mods are chosen by helping abilities and in almost every forum makes polls to know who should be promoted or not. It's not easy to be promoted but if you keep helping and making worthreading/using stuff, you may get a surprise in a staff revanish.

;) Woo! This is why I like being a mod - being able to help people out :P

Moderators are offered the position and appointed by the administrators, OpaQue and BuffaloHELP. It is important that the moderators can be trusted absolutely by the administrators to do their jobs effectively, correctly and fairly. Obviously I can't speak for the administrators, but I think it is unlikely that this process will be changed any time soon.

With those statistics, 0.012% of the forum have voiced an opinion - hardly a comprehensive survey :P I certainly wouldn't extrapolate those results to the entire member base.

Adding more moderators and expanding the size of the team only really makes sense if the current team aren't able to handle the workload. At the moment, I think that we are handling it very well - reports are responded to quickly, and spam is very often picked up before a report is even made, and we all give our help and assistance as readily as we can. Having moderators from all time zones would be nice, but I don't think it is really necessary. Like I said, spam and problems are generally dealt with very quickly and adding more moderators doesn't drastically improve on that.

At current, members are approached by administrators, not the other way around. Whenever OpaQue and BuffaloHELP decide new or different moderators are necessary then they will approach the members they have picked at the time.

I completely agree with every thing you just stated.

I just want to state again, just to make things clear, the moderators are doing their job just fine.

Ah... wow, I never knew there was a Team Viewer option... you have to be in a team to have this, right?

And yeah, I agree with the mistakes bit.

You have to fall down first, or you will not be able to learn how to stand up on your two feet again.

Teamviewer is a freeware software which allows users to view each others screen free of cost (if it is personal use) It is widely used it tech support, transferring files, and showing presentations. Teamviewer is not a feature of this forum.

I would also Like to say (I forget who said that OpaQue and BuffaloHelp are not that active) that the moderator can do a lot of the work, and the Administrator is not needed as much unless it is creating new forums, changing names, et cetera. The Administrators then can focus their time on other things because they actually run Xisto, which has many branches such as Xisto - Web Hosting, Xisto, and Xisto, and work on the technical aspect of the systems (such as credit system, technical support, and so on).

I am enjoying reading this topic. Seems to me that a bunch of members here are trying to get powers prematurely. Change we can't believe in. Really, how likely is it that if you have a warning log, or if you are brand new to the forum, that you will be a moderator right now?*Hums some Rage Against the Machine*

I am enjoying reading this topic. Seems to me that a bunch of members here are trying to get powers prematurely. Change we can't believe in. Really, how likely is it that if you have a warning log, or if you are brand new to the forum, that you will be a moderator right now?

*Hums some Rage Against the Machine*

I agree.

*Hums some Sugar Hill Gang*

Well I have seen that there is finally a new staff member called (Alex) I think O.o << Correct me if I am wrong. I hope he is alot more active that most that are not. Good luck to him as well ;).

Well I have seen that there is finally a new staff member called (Alex) I think O.o << Correct me if I am wrong. I hope he is alot more active that most that are not. Good luck to him as well ;).

Yes his name is Alex, although I am not sure if he likes to be called that, or dgalexc. Already he seems like a great new addition to the forum, and seems to be doing his job!

Hopefully this reply with a new moderator will end this *topic*

Edited by Tramposch (see edit history)

a great new addition to the forum, and seems to be doing his job!

I do totally agree with you on this I also hope that the admin's choose a couple more just to give the forum some new life and fun ;).

As much as I would like to agree with some of the posts here I find it quite sad that this topic became a topic of people attacking each other and what not. Even though the quote limit is ten I plan to cover almost every post in this topic and the foolishness it has generated.

Post #1:

I do partially agree that new mods should replace some of the old ones who haven't been active because of real world situations or anything else.

Post #3:

Though it is true that we look for people who been here awhile but that is not always the case. We look for members that have great posting ability, which includes long quality posts, supportive posts, a good knowledge of various topics that cover most of the forum, knows the forum rules, able to support all members both old and new and other good stuff that makes them stand out. While warnings are usually a bad thing it is possible to get them drop and eventually become a mod, I know I have had this happen to me and so those warnings are more of a friendly reminder to change your ways.

Post #4:

I am not new I am on my third run as a moderator, but regardless forum experience, supportive, knowledge and overall friendly person will get you notice.

Post #9:

It is not your role to remind admin to run their forum and staff and PM wouldn't really be taken seriously anyway. This topic is sufficient enough to let the Xisto staff know that some changes might be needed.

Post #10:

Well you are partially correct that the forum is used to maintain hosting, but of course your partially wrong that all members do this as some post here without having a hosting account here but somewhere else or with other Xisto services. Also moderators look out for everyone not just those who post on the forums every dya as we constantly have to look out for spammers, and those who think they can cheat the system who several members in this topic have done already.

Post #11:

Thus the reason why the mods are coming from all parts of the world and that way we are basically taking shifts on making sure the forums are clean and running smoothly.

Post #12:

Like rvalkass said, pruning topics is a tricky endeavor with the system that is in place, because simply deleted old topics could ruin credits earn by the members who are still hosted with Xisto. There have been many discussions about how to get rid of old topics and yet not affecting accounts, but the most simplest method has been the closing of old topics, usually account related, to prevent people from bringing them up again when they shouldn't be. Forum themes are even more tricky because not only do they need to be fast loading they also have to coded properly to work with other scripts and since admins don't have that kind of time. However, if you like to design a them that is suited for Xisto by all means create it and let everyone take a look and see if the theme can be used, of course its good to have demo of it to see how fast the theme loads too.

Post #13:

There is a topic running right now for members to have a chance to redesign the Xisto website, but not too many people have taken up this offer, maybe you would like to submit a design for consideration. Actually this theme is brand new in terms of the old default theme we have been using, but in terms of what this theme is doing it is doing its job to load fast, be eye pleasing and organize the forums properly. As for the admin they are on most of the time, who do you think gets the forum back up when it is down or making sure the forum runs smoothly as possible, the admin.

What methods are you referring to? As posting is the best method to get free hosting or you can pay for hosting as well so it be helpful to expand on such ideas. Forum upgrades take the longest just because it takes awhile to reprogram the forum software to run the customize scripts that is used to earn MyCents. Of course, it the forum upgrades need to be stable and as bug free as possible.

Post #14:

Outdated in what way, granted there are some sections of the forums that need to be updated, but if you kindly expand on your post what needs to be updated the staff will have a good idea what needs to be changed.

Post #15:

Us moderators have lives to you know and that is why we tell members to report spam or anything else going on in the forum, we also tell members to help those in need or brand new to the forum as well and that, there is less work for us to do. So the more members do to help each other in terms of posting, hosting support and forum support us moderators wouldn't even be moderators. So in a way everyone is a moderator, but their is only a select few that make sure members are doing what they are suppose to be doing.

Back in the day the moderators were working non stop to make sure no one was cheating the new credit system and of course trying to train everyone up to spot the junk/quality posts. To be quite honest ever since MyCents has been up, the role of the moderator has decreased quite a bit, heck even the role of the admin has decreased quite a lot, because of how centralized everything is now, its our job really to make sure we are pointing you to the right direction to hosting, paid or free.

Sure we still have to deal with forum spam and those who want break rules, but the role of the moderator is not like it was 3-4 years ago. It is a good or bad thing? Who knows but would usually take hours each day, just takes minutes to do our tasks and then do posting, use the shoutbox or whatever else. Remember everyone can be a regular member,, but to be a great member you have to go beyond the role of a member. Of course, it doesn't mean that you go nuts because of how long you been here but at least show the newer members guidance on what to do or where to go to enjoy themselves on this website.

Post #16:

I had found the post ratings more tedious then anything else, sure it was fun to label people's post with various titles, especially spammer, but now I would rather see a great post/topic dependent on the quality and how deep the discussion goes. Such forums such as the debate forum is a great example of some interesting topics and rather interesting posts as well. Even though this forum is for hosting people shouldn't treat it just as that, everyone needs to go outside the box.

Post #17:

Another thing I forgot to mention that the deleting topics and posts would also affect SEO and search engine results and it has taken quite a long time for Xisto to get where it is now. So simply deleting the topics would be removing some of that work that been and so when it comes to really old topics, report them and we will close the ones that need to be closed.

Post #18:

Heck I remember we were trying to have separate themes for separate forums, didn't work out to go, but yeah to much editing of theme files is why we dropped them and just stuck with one theme and went from there.

Post #20:

Patience, fairness and like 500% responsibility because this forum is part of a business and to mess with the forum, member or mod, would be affecting business and give it a black. That is why the admin which members are trustworthy enough to be mods on this forum.

Post #21:

Usually the mods would let ever the admin know or make a topic about it, of course the one mod that really needs to go is TestMod, that guy hasn't done anything since we been here ;).

Post #22:

Mods don't need to be good designers or programmers, that is why this community was set up to bring those designers and programmers here. There has to be thousands of years worth of design and programming experience here and that is why everyone should help out and solve those coding problems people have.

Post #25-32:

It would be pointless to put names of people who should become mods because that is not how it works, make sure to read the rest of my post as to why it won't work. Funny story though when I first became mod I volunteered for the job just because the forums really needed a lot of help. Of course, I nominated a few people as well, but I think now it comes to the sol discretion of the admin, of course us mods can mention names for the admin to consider. As for the latter half of this group of posts refere to my very first statement about this topic.

Post #33:

Training someone up to be a mod isn't more work just because we know what new mods should focus and after awhile everything else falls into place. Of course, it helps if the new mod knows a lot about this forum and how it works.

Post #35:

Not really he a member who know what is going on with this forum and how it works, usually that is the insight the admin look for, although I give Tramp at least 10 more years before we bring him name across the table :P. I think almost all the staff have seen this topic to make sure no funny business has been going on and in my option this topic strayed off course after a few posts.

Post #36:

refer to my statement in Post 25-32 about it and then continue from there.

Post #37:

I appreciate the work you done rvalkass **hugs** :P However, rvalkass didn't you bribe me to let the admin even consider you ROFL!! I think you would need 75% of the forum to poll their vote to make the changes that have been mentioned in this topic in terms of staff position. Like I had mention before the workload has decrease for the admin and mods since the new system went up, heck we have more time to post then ever.

Post #38:

In short the admin and mod positions are volunteer and so we don't get paid, not that it would matter anyway. of course, real world obligations come first and mosy members understand that and know why being a moderator is more being able to ban spammers. Like I mentioned earlier the role of the moderator isn't what it use to be and in a way everyone is a moderator it just the blue name carries a lot more responsibility.

Post #39:

Should see my warn log :P

Post #40:

Team Viewer is a remote Desktop software that is used to connect one PC with another and so it is not an option here on Xisto.

Post #42-47:

Those posts were the reason why I starting writing out this long post, that off topic stuff isn't necessary and thus the reason why people wonder why they can't be an mod.

Post #48:

I save you from making another topic, don't write it as the mods and admin are aware who should be considered or deserves such a title.

Post #49:

For we have might ban sticks that no one can break not even you spammers.

Post #50:

You can but what is the point in making more the one account, if you do what your suppose to do then you don't need more then one. The only reason why people create more accounts is that that must have really messed up on another one thus the ones Phoenix Illusion has. Of course, people thought back during the old credit system that all they had to was transfer there credits from account to another, of course they realized it was pointless because you could only have one hosting account anyway.

Either way, if you need to create another account because you messed up and then keep on repeating those patterns you end up getting banned from this site entirely so remember that.

Post #51:

To use a Military analogy, let the Generals do their jobs and let the grunts do theirs.

Post #53-56:

Straying off topic again...

Although I would rather close this topic because of the lack of focus going on, I keep it open and hopefully look towards to seeing thought out posts and helpful suggestions.

I think testmod is one of the most active mods we have here.

I just want to add a bit more.. Talk. I just noticed how every moderator either registered in year 04 or 05.

Do you guys think this is a coincidence, or planned.

Just curious on what you guys think.

Edited by Tramposch (see edit history)

I think testmod is one of the most active mods we have here.

I just want to add a bit more.. Talk. I just noticed how every moderator either registered in year 04 or 05.

Do you guys think this is a coincidence, or planned.

Just curious on what you guys think.

Well, I must say that I'm not all that surprised if all the moderators of the forums are like, old. In most new communities, or not so new, the moderators are always the ones that are some of the oldest members around.

Like I said, I onced joined in a dead forum that hasn't been active for a while, and after that, the admin of the place made me a mod and I went on a quest to find some active members, which I did. And after a year, it's pretty successful, though I quit being an admin (yes, I was promoted to an admin), due to my busy life and my studies, and let other new moderators and admins take over.

I still go there every so often just to take a look at how it's going, though I don't post there anymore.

So if the moderators and admins here are people from ages ago that posted here a few years ago, I'm not surprised if this is how it works, because this is how it works in most communities.

The founding members of the community are obviously the ones who can be trusted the most - that's why they're given such a big responsibility. As SM said a wrong move by the admin could give this business a black mark and that's a risk that no person would be willing to take. That's why it is best to choose carefully from the members who have been active right from the beginning. New members may be good, but they will most likely be considered only after being observed for a year or two.