xisto Community
brandonjbegle

Best Laptop Brand Which one?

Definitely Apple are best in my opinion.I would say HP are second best, specially for gaming and entertainment, videos, etc.But the Apple laptops simply rock. For school, theres nothing better than doing neat, smooth and pretty presentations with little work. So your homework is to make a video? Using your Apple you can too! and its way easier than with any Windows computer. But its not only easier but it looks more professional and gets you a higher note :) Post Data: this is not an advertisement xD

I was just wonder what you guys think the best mainstream laptop brand is? I would like to keep within a budget of $1000

My suggestions will be of Sony, Compaq, or Accer. Quality wise Compaq (HP ) is doing very well. I have actually not used sony but heard about it so I would like to name it here. Moreover Compaq and accer are tested proven ones and they are really good.?

I'm itching to get apple heard very very good stuff from people who bought it..But apple is way too expensive! What are your thoughts on buying second hand lappy? are they even worth it?

Ok, So I have to comment. The best Laptop brands are Lenovo, Apple, and Asus. I believe apple and asus use the same factories, correct me if im wrong. All three of these companies make very good laptops. But, be careful when buying from asus because they also make cheap models with you guessed it, lower quality. Also for quality and longevity of laptops I would look for these things.

-Whether it features an accelerometer, sudden motion sensor or auto locking hard drive feature. This prevents damage to the hard drive when dropped or traveling.

-Screen Resolutions. Screen Size doesn't matter, its the resolution.

-Find out what mother board or logic board it uses and google whether it has issues.

-Stray away from amd processors.

-Look for more than 3 hours of listed battery life. The life will only get worse.

-Try to use the product in real life, Does it feel durable.

-In a laptop these techs are more durable Oled>led backlit>backlit (fluorescent), sshd > HDD, Slot Load is better than non slot load in durability.

But, DO NOT BUY FROM HP OR COMPAQ They are actually the same company. Ill shorten my horrid experience with them.

First I bought a compaq laptop. It was AMD based and at the time AMD processors ran extremely hot, it had a defective fan and ended up catching on fire. After 4 months of work on getting a replacement I decided to contact the Better Business Burro. And later received my money back for the laptop. Then I decided to spend more money ($2000) and buy an HP, I thought that more $ = more quality and faster, I also bought the three year accidental protection plan, HP's top warranty plan, with one of its features, a 7 business day replacement. Later I got a virus and the install disks they gave me were corrupt and could not reinstall the OS (the disks were scratch-less btw). So, I had to send in the laptop. 10 business days later I received a laptop back from repair. It was the same brand except, it was the minimum configuration model which would have costed $800. It featured a slower processor, lower wireless capabilities, less ram, a smaller hard drive, integrated instead of dedicated graphics etc. Then it took 1 month of calls, an email to the better business burro, and faxing in my receipt to get them to admit their mistake. So they sent me a box I then proceeded to shipping my laptop into repair. It got delayed because hp had to "order parts to complete the repair". A month and a half later I received the laptop back. The laptop I received had no screws in it and a broken hinge. So, when I opened it, it fell apart and parts of the casing cracked. So I called back HP the representative stated some thing a long the lines of abuse. And then I pointed out my warranty.

She said I would have to talk to a case manager who would call me. I waited 2 months, nothing. So I sent another letter to the better business burro. And a week later I got a call from a case manager. An apology and a box to send the laptop back in for repair. After 4 months of waiting, I bought a macbook. I have been using the macbook without problems since June. Last month I recieved an over sized package from HP. After I went through all the packaging peanuts I found my old hard drive physically broken.

Edit: Here's what I have found out about Apple. They only sell high end machines. Any competitor, even the cheap ones when brought up to spec with what apple offers are within $200 or more expensive.

Edited by random truth (see edit history)

I was just wonder what you guys think the best mainstream laptop brand is? I would like to keep within a budget of $1000

I would suggest getting a Lenovo/IBM Thinkpad. Their build is very solid and they'll last you a while. I've still got an old IBM Thinkpad 600E (Pentium II) that runs perfectly well without any repairs. The SL series of Thinkpads offer a good compromise between price and features, so you'll definitely find something there that suits your budget.

If you don't care all that much for build quality, you can go for a budget model from HP or a Dell. I recently got an HP Compaq 6710b from the office and although the body of the laptop bends slightly when I pick it up from diagonal corners, the performance is pretty decent - it comes with the 4GB RAM, 160GB HDD, and a Intel Core 2 Duo T7700 2.4 GHz processor, DVD-RW and a fingerprint reader.

Best Mainstream notebook brandBest Laptop Brand

Apple is the most agile, sleek, andquality brand notebook you can buy (in my opinion) hands down. I get 6.5 hoursof battery life out my Mac Book pro '15.

If your not use to the Mac operating system, it takes a few days of getting the hang of it but in the meantime you can run a program called Boot-camp (which comes standard on every Mac Book Pro), which allows the option (at start up) to run a windows operating system on your Mac as well, or if you're like me and don't want to have to restart your notebook in order to access windows, you can buy a program called VMware Fusion2 (79.99 in stores or 39.99 from Apple if your a student). This lets you run windows parallel to Mac OS and minimize it in your dock, switching between the two effortlessly. Plus windows on a Mac runs smoothly and almost perfect. A Mac computer has even been proven to run Vista OS faster than any other brand of computer (Apple.Com).

I'm sure like every notebook the MacBook Pro has its cons, I just haven't found them yet. When it comes to quality, software (built in and for), design, and lifespan go with Apple (if you have the money).

-reply by M.Atkins

I will give a summary of what I think:Sony notebooks are expensive in comparison to similarly specified notebooks, but have a superior build quality due to their carbon fibre laminate chassis compared to a normal cheap plastic chassis.Apple notebooks are also expensive compared to other notebooks, but are unique with an full aluminimum chassis (none of the other notebook vendors have implemented this) and runs Mac OS X (no notebooks from other notebook vendors can officially run Mac OS X).Alienware, now a subsidiary of Dell, creates very powerful notebooks destined for the gaming enthuasists who required a powerful desktop-replacing gaming machine. This prices is really high, higher than those of Sony and Apple, becaue Alienware notebooks often uses top-of-the-line hardware components and have extra components such as a second GPU and a second hard disk drive.HP and Dell notebooks aim for both the consumer and business markets, with a distinct ranges of consumer and business products.Asus notebooks are generally the cheapest compared to notebooks with similar specifications. They do feel cheap in that way the the plastic chassis is not very firm, but you get a good value for money if you choose to purchase one.Toshiba generally is aimed at the business market with ultra-portables, but do have some low-end consumer models.I suppose the decision in choosing which brand to purchase from ultimately comes down to how much value are you getting for your money. Most notebooks comes with a decent CPU, at least 4GB of RAM, a suitable hard disk and a dedicated graphics unit.

Not all, but most of Samsung and Lenovo laptops are good in quality. Samsung puts a lot of attention into quality, checking and testing their products, even though for that reason in some countries Samsung is a little bit more expensive than other similar products. :)Of course, there are some models which aren't so good, but those usually were the ones for personal use, for business use, which were and is cheaper.

Gotta love my Dell. Best brand, best service. When I see or use a dell computer, there is something that feel solid about it. From the Mini 9 to the XPS, I see a real solidity, and a strength. The only thing missing is its business lineup. The design end, its completely ugly, and looks and functions like a brick. The reason in the end, is that Dell makes money of its Business Desktops and its Home Laptops.

I prefer Apple than any other computers. I believe, it is unique and most adaptable to users working.

i would buy a macbook, apple has the best support out of any company and also they have the sleekest look with the best accesories and you can natively run both windows for gaming and osx for design and entertainment on your macbook which you can't do on your pc notebook.Also macintosh products have the best array of peripherals, you'll be able to find a wide array of cases and other things specifically designed for the macbook that will fit like a glove.

It looks like I'm in good company here, as I too prefer Mac over the lame competition. Having grown up with Windozzz machines I would save future generations the toil and trouble of dealing with these demonic relics - these ulcers waiting to happen. There is simply no comparison. It?s like pitting a BMW against an AMC Pacer. I will never go back to the hell that is Windozzz. The torment of Norton is now a distant memory, as Macs are rarely targeted by these anti-virus software makers - no doubt the same entities creating the viruses in the first place. I?m sure I?m not the first to draw this conclusion. No more forced updates or crashes out of nowhere. I am in control! Bill freaking Gates and his virulent tentacles are no longer under the hood, wreaking their malicious havoc on my precious hardware. Get thee a Mac Book Pro with 17-inch screen. It?s just as easy to haul around as a 15? and makes a better impression. I have an Intel Core 2 Duo with 2 GB memory and 320 GIG. And to think I once swore allegiance to the evil empire.

I think any laptop with a track point is a good one (the dot in the middle of the keyboard you use to move the cursor about), it can seriously make you more productive using this rather than shifting between mouse and keyboard. IBM or (Lenovo) typically incorporate this into their "thinkpad" range so my personal preference will always be to purchase a thinkpad (intended for business) and spec up the graphics card on it (for business and play). Its not as shiny as say... a sony or a mac, but very practical.But also i get a heck a lot of use of my computer stuff and my R50 for instance doesnt complain one bit (touch wood).

Edited by inverse_bloom (see edit history)

I think Sony is the best laptop brand especially their VAIO series is excellent but also very costly. So this is the only disadvantage of this brand and thats why everyone can't afford to buy their laptops. :P For those people who wants to buy a good mainstream laptop at less price I think Dell is the best laptop brand as they allow to fully customize their laptop. For example if you want a laptop having 250 gb hard disk but its out of your budget as it has got a lot of extra features which you don't need so what they offer is that you can upgrade the existing hard disk of the laptop (which you have selected and have got everything which you need except the less capacity hard disk) to larger one which is in this case 250 gb one and all this before buying the laptop. Of course you will have to pay some extra bucks for this upgrade. I think this is the only feature which make this brand as a best laptop brand. Sorry, if I am confusing someone! ;)