xisto Community
brandonjbegle

Best Laptop Brand Which one?

I think it is best for one to look at the specifications instead of brand. Although brand is a source of trust and there might be certain brands of your interest, but for me personally I would prefer the best I can get with a certain budget such as $1000 (also, is it USD or other currencies?).
If you are buying a laptop which you don't need to assemble it yourself (not buying in parts to assemble), then the warranty is also important - just in case there are any faults.

Sorry to say that I have no particular brand to recommend but the specification is the first priority - personal preference.

also, different brand of different origin would have different cost and quality. The most expensive does not necessarily mean the best quality etc... So I will still stick to specification first, then quality etc.

That's how I picked out just about every single one of my laptops. I would figure out what I would want first, filter my choices, do my peer and professional review research, and then just go with it. I didn't think of design or laptop layout (like I mentioned in my first post), and to me, a component was a component... most companies grab the same stuff to build their laptops before slapping on their logo and shipping them out to the masses.

Kerco brings up an awesome point about the possibility of having to deal with the company that you bought from for future services and repairs. I don't usually look at that aspect because I consider myself a bit tech-savvy enough to warrant my own repairs and work on the laptop, but not everyone is that adventurous. The problem with trying to research customer service, though, is that views of company customer service can be skewed by all of the horror stories out there. For example, I had no problems asking HP for replacement OEM CDs... but a friend of mine who owned a Pavilion dv5 series had the worst time sending his laptop in to get repaired in a timely manner. And of course, you have to ask yourself how subjective their experiences were, and whether this was an isolated case. Not everyone at a company plays nicely... but the best thing you can do is try to make your decision based off of word of mouth.

I am surprised as no one here mentioned ACER.

Actually, I probably should have brought up the fact that at a local repair store here, the PC repair tech was telling me that he rarely if ever saw Acers in the shop. I guess with that statement, you can assume that Acers are pretty solid. Maybe.

That and OpaQue put some praise on Acer, so of course it's got to be good. :)

The cheapest laptop apple do is $1,299.00
2.0GHz

* Intel Core 2 Duo
* 2GB DDR3 Memory
* 160GB hard drive1
* NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics
* Standard keyboard
* Aluminum unibody

* Ships: Within 24hrs
* 13" Screen

You will be going over budget a bit but I am sure it will be worth it.

Agreed. Apple is kick *bottom* company. Tough their products are pretty expensive the qualitty is the highest. Currently I own to laptops, a DELL and Fujitsu Siemens they are pretty good both but for sure an Apple MacBook would be awesome :).

It also seems as if there is luck involved. My brother has a 5 or 6 year old Dell laptop, to me that is really lucky, because my past family experiences with dells (especially laptops) is horrible.I think you should go Apple, HP, or Acer (sorry opaque i completely forgot about them)

The cheapest laptop apple do is $1,299.00

You mean the cheapest good laptop that apple makes... You can get the white (old model) MacBook for $999, but don't waste your money on that. Between the Topcase chipping issues and frequent Harddrive failures that these machines have you'll be much happier if you drop the extra $299 and go with the aluminum body one. Edited by galexcd (see edit history)

I do find my old HP very reliable it has never broken, The only part that has is the AC adapter 2 times.But thats it, I really would suggest you go for the HP Laptop range they are fantastic :)

Well I dont know what is the best, BUT I can say that I had a Toshiba that i bought a few years ago for about $1500.00 I really had no problems with it. It pretty much had everything. Im not very PC smart to tell you what all it had. But it worked great got me for a few years. I was just ready for a change and gave it to my oldest when she moved out a couple months ago. And then missed having a laptop terribly so I bought a Compaq Presario (HP) I didnt have the money to spend on this one that I did the last one. But so far I have had no trouble at all with this one. I paid about $450.00 after $150.00 instant rebate and then a $30.00 rebate. Anyway This one has worked jsut fine for me I havent had any problems with it at all, But I do miss the toshiba some. It did hae alot more features

opinonBest Laptop Brand

well I work with best buy in the computer department and from customer feedback the HPs I've sold to them have been solid.  Also they come out with affordable, yet high end, laptops (can't say the same about the netbooks) and for those looking to stick with a   > $500 budget, HPs (and Compaq) aren't bad either.  Whether you're looking to surf the web, word proccess, play music, or edit videos, do some medium to medium-high end gaming, or using it for strictly business, they've proven they can dish out a good laptop or desktop with positive customer feedback.

Another brand I usually show preferance to is a Toshibas, albeit they need to step their game up a little more, but the few that are comprable to HP counterparts (14.1" or 15.4") are pretty solid as well.  The Toshiba E105-S1402 is a powerful and affordable ($799) laptop with very few flaws (the crappy speakers amongst them).  Toshiba isn't pound for pound with HP in terms of overall quality, but their lower prices and high end specs are always appealing to budget burdoned customers.

Now for Dell.  Without having the full length of features as HP or Toshiba (lighscribe or labelflash, backlit keyboard, lightweight, and all the few other gems) but still being similarily priced, Dell usually falls a distant third (along with Sony).  Speaking stricly of in-store products, Dell doens't offer a full variety to meet most of the average customers needs.  Also, I've heard nothing but complaint after complaint when customers are dealing with Dell's Customer Service.  Their Studio line shows promise, but otherwise I usually stray away from the mainstream Dell laptops.  

Sony is also in this category offering high end products at way over the top prices.  They do have a better range of laptops.  In the end you end up paying an extra 100 bucks to have Sony engraved on a laptop with the same specs as other competitors laptops for way way cheaper.  I like the Blu-Ray idea (but I'd rather have a PS3), but I'm pretty skeptical at this point as to how long that will last.

Apples are in a whole other category because the topic is keeping the laptop price under one grand, and only one of their laptops comes to mind which is the all white MacBook.  It's still a solild choice if you can afford it and I doubt you'll have any regrets after you spend hours playing with Garage Band or talking it up with fellow Apple-using friends through iChat.  Their publicity is amazing but don't let their tactical (yet ingenius) smear campaign against PCs  brainwash you from PCs.  I still outsell PCs to Macs 10:1 but Apple is heading in the right direction.  

Umm Asus makes gaming laptops, Lenovo and IBM are business (and expensive), Acer is cheap, and I still question how eMachines still is in business. Hope this helps.

I'd have to say, for that budget, you should go with either a:(1) Dell - if you want the most bang for your buck. Just get an extended warranty and you will be fine (I've never had problems with any dell computers, and I've owned a lot).(2) Lenovo - slightly fewer features, but VERY reliable. They do have quite a few lines that start within your budget.(3) Asus - Extremely reliable laptops. Contrary to common belief, they do not only make gaming laptops. They have full lines from netbooks (everyone's heard of the EEE) to full 20" laptops. Their prices are very good, and I believe new models come with a standard 2 year international warranty.Regards,z.

I was just wonder what you guys think the best mainstream laptop brand is? I would like to keep within a budget of $1000

normally, i would recommend you to buy an Apple laptop
but since you are looking for cheap one, i suggest that you buy HP laptop

+1 for apple if you've got the budget.

Don't buy the low end Toshiba ones. I bought one and the screen hinge broke about 8 months into owning it and guess what, The casing wasn't covered by warranty...

I would recommend regardless of brand one with a hinge like this http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Seriously consider apple if you have the budget, I bought a 10 year old mac that still works! a few of my teachers use mac laptops they've had for 5+ years... all of which are capable of running the latest Mac operating system. I've had mine for two years (now in its third year, and minus going for one that was under spec'd for what I use it for and having to upgrade HD & Ram) it has been running smoothly.

I vote HP as being the best brand solely because of their customer support. They go above and beyond what others provide support-wise and help with not only issues their stuff has caused but also they will help with solving issues with NON-HP added products!Not to mention they don't care if your warrantee is "in" or out if you just have questions/need help with researching stuff.

dell or hp or compaqmy suggestions are limited so try to get the best deal u canand also consider LG its also good and also you can get it within 1000$btw(LOL) if you were in India and also very poor and also a very small child then you can get an laptop for you in just 20$ with a webcam....................(LOL)BUT THEN ALSO ALL THE BEST............

Yes I do agree with the people who chose Apple I think Apple are fantastic for laptops even Dekstop's (I got my mac pro from there) However they don't come cheap I would say if you was just going to use it as an Every day PC then get a HP or a Dell. Make sure you get XP on it though if you was going to buy one as Vista can be very slow after a while on a laptop.