xisto Community
Wynter

Do You Believe In Astrology? The Personality part or The Futeure

I sort of believe in it - i believe in Zodiac signs, since they are completely true for me :DBut i am a complete skeptic over hypnotism and past life remedies (or what ever they are). The person says stuff while you are sleeping and since you are not thinking it just gets into your head, its brainwashing really!

yes i believe in astrology, and i'm sure someone here has mentioned this already ( though i'm not sure if they have ) but there is far more to astrology than just sun sign. It's a very interesting school of thought, that definetely requires a lot of study before understanding. After you've achieved that, its a remarkable tool

I am an open skeptic and I can definitely see that Astrology is absolute crap. The only difference during these periods is the magnetic variation which the moon produces. In many countries this is a belief which is held in strong belief but it seems to be such a painfully obvious thing, it is a very stupid idea, how could a star change how you act or predict the future. As an atheist, I know that the only thing that determines the future is what you do the moment before it happens. Why are so many of those Astrological claims so wide, why don't they single out things, this is because they are basically using a method called "Cold Reading" where the psychic or astrologist will make broad statements that you will then read and try and ft into your life in one way. It is human nature to want to believe so when we see something like our horoscope we will then try to fit it into our life in some weird way.

The most people usually know of astrology is horoscopes. Horoscopes should not be seen to represent the whole of Astrology... most professional astrologers in fact turn their noses @ horoscopes ( the newspaper, magazine variety mostly .. and probably now web variety too ) ...because basing Astrology on simply sun sign is too broad. I will say in defense of professional astrologers today, they do not only do it for money, not all of them, there are a great many variety of astrologers and like with anything you are going to have some bad apples or some people who simply do it out of greed or self-involvement. But these are people who have studied astrology in depth-- meaning not sun signs but heavy analysis of the natal chart... the sun is only one celestial body out of several in our solar system.. asteroids are also taken into mind.

What i'm saying is, before you write off astrology completely, make sure your not basing your opinion on a very limited idea of what astrology is. Read before you judge, in other words.

If we are all writing off newspaper/magazine horoscopes, well.. I'm there with you. Those are pretty much useless. They're not difficult to "disprove" according to scientific means either, James Randi got a lot of attention off of that one video where he provides everyone with the same horoscope.

Psychology and Astrology, if you give the latter validity actually have much to do with each other. There are an increasing amount of psychologists who incorporate astrology into their practice for example. Jeffrey Kishner being one of them. (not sure if i'm allowed to post links here but you can google him if you want to know more about how he uses them in conjunction )

Edited by gummybear (see edit history)

I never believe in those forecast that one can find in the papers. They are too general to give a proper forecast. But I do believe in astrology (or what is known as fortune telling). Maybe I can explain a bit how a forecast is being made.

To chinese, there are 12 animals in the zodiac (rat, ox, tiger, rabbit, dragon, snake, horse, goat, monkey, rooaster, dog, pig). Beside the 12 animals, there are also the 5 elements; metal, wood, water, fire, earth. So, this year (2009), it is the year of the earth ox. This is to find out the sign for the year that one is born in.

As for the the date/time of birth, it represent another set of interpretation. Year represent ancestor, month = parents, day = yourself, and time = kids. Again, the 12 animals and 5 elements is used to determine the sign for which group.

With this in hand, it can be used to forecast the fortune and character of the person.

For a more detail understanding (my explanation is kinda vague), you can refer to http://www.chinesefortunecalendar.com/

Do I "believe" in Astrology? At risk of coming off defiant (as opposed to :)), I humbly submit it doesn't matter what I believe. The laws of the universe operate with our without my belief in their holy agenda. The sun sets and rises according to natural law long since set in motion. The winter brings it's inevitable snows, the spring it's iris, the fall it's autumn colors.....weather or not I believe in their glorious splendor is irrelevant. When the soul descends to this dimension (human OR animal), the planets and their respective energies leave an impression - an imprint, if you will. Some would call this imprint, "personality." It is what makes us unique. This astral imprint remains with you during your stay in this physical body, which of course calls into question the mystery of free will. How free are we given this "imprint?" Perhaps it's our uniquely human ability to recognize and curtail these influences that develops the individual divinity within. Understand the generic horoscopes one finds in mainstream newspapers do a great injustice to the science of Astrology. I would go so far to say they bastardize an art utilized by kings of old and not so old.

One day, I received a Phone call from the editor in chief of the magazine I write for asking me to write the astrology section because the section's writer was sick. I didn't care alot for astrology before, but for me to write this section, I had to study what astrology is..

As I read more.. and dive deeper inside that strange space, as I see Aries fighting with Aries and The Scorpion in love with The Cancer, I start to believe more and more in that astrology thing. Astrology really reflects the personality things, giving a blurry but kind of truth full one..

so what about the future one?.. I have a belief that nobody can ever see future, unless he\she has enough luck and logic to know what will happen tomorrow MATHEMATICALLY.

So I do Believe in the Astrological Personality thing.. but future.. well.. That's too hard .

So..

Do you believe in Astrology? Which Part of Astrology do you believe more ?

The Personality one Or The Future one ? and Why ?

When you say astrology do you mean like the zodiac signs and your horoscope and all of that. If so then no I do kind of believe in them. Sometimes my hororscope will be right on and it's crazy to think about it, while other times they are so wrong that it's hilarious. So I'm not really sure whether it is real or not, but I guess it can be fun.

ABSOLUTELY.Astrology foretelling your future is really stupid. I don't read daily horoscopes, that's nonsense.However, when you really take the time to pour over the information about not only your sun sign, but your rising, moon, mercury, venus, mars, and (kinda) jupiter signs...then you can understand what makes you unique and it offers a perspective on yourself that is hard to get anywhere else.Astrology is good for making general references about people. I guarantee you that if you know a Virgo (I'm one) they are the kind of person thatis innately good with detail. Personally, I've found astrology to be a real tool in self-discovery and knowing where my strengths and weaknesses lie. The more you understand it and how unique the 12 signs are the more you get an appreciation for different viewpoints. I can do a "reading" if anybody wants, but it would just be a general overview of the kind of person you are. date/year of birth, and time of birth is helpful too (because the moon/venus) signs can vary wildly depending on the time of day.

man i think no one should believe in astrology.........its all crap...........if it was true the why not the astrologers have seen their futures and done their work as required...............its all crap...............never believe it

I don't believe in horoscopes, but i believe in the general descriptions of natives born under a sign, and also the compatibility predictions between signs.

I personally do not believe in astrology but have nothing against those who do. And I honestly don't care about knowing my future unless I have cancer & my doc telling me how many months I have left to live. There are many who swear by astrology because they see things happening exactly like how it was predicted. My argument to that is "If you believe in something with all your might, it is bound to happen".I stopped believing in horoscope after I turned 11 (Disasters in life makes you practical I suppose). To me astrology is nothing but a guide on how to soft land instead of crashing. I especially detest people who decide lovers & partners based on astrology because there are chances that you might end up with the worst partner even though your charts match. I got into the practice of reading Tarot cards & let me tell you this, your energy level decides what cards get picked. I experimented by doing a reading while I was sad and I got negative readings, when I did the reading for the same person with a much happier & calmer mood I got a completely different reading. So far every time I take a reading with an absolutely calm mind the readings come out true but then again it might simply be my interpretation of the situation that was correct though there are some readings that had no participation from my logic yet they came true.All I have to say is that the energy that we emit has a part in what the future might be but the same way we emit energy there are many other sources which emit more powerful energy. So MAYBE just MAYBE the stars do decide our future but even if they do, we need to really believe in it for it to happen...Confusing?? I know I am confused too :P

Astrology has held my interest on and off for quite some time. I can't say I believe in horoscopes but perhaps there could be some truth to the descriptions given to signs and their types...Then again, it could all be a matter of selective thinking, generalizations, and other tricks of the trade. Basically, sun signs in themselves seem to be too vague and generalized while natal astrology is too diffusive to say anything particularly profound, accurate or specific. Both approaches seem to avoid making clear statements and offer "either-or" descriptions that effectively say nothing definitive about a person's character.It just seems that astrology gives you little in terms of particulars and always offers an alternative in case the first assumption is wrong, which keeps people reading what they want to choose to like about their description and accepting what they believe is true and omitting the rest... which basically means it amounts to nothing much at all. To describe a personality means dealing entirely with abstractions; you simply can't say "He likes flowers" and mean anything other than just that. Instead, you say like "He's compassionate and resourceful", which is nothing but interpretation. Even though it suffices for basic communication, it gives you very little to base the "truth" on, and that's something that astrology capitalizes on by using the vagueness of speech and the promise of clairvoyance to make people believe what they want when reading things about themselves.In anycase, I think it's better just to pursue psychology and the sciences to understand how the human identity really functions (id, ego, etc.) but that's just me.

12typesDo You Believe In Astrology?

well I do feel that sometimes my readings are pretty accurate. When I was younger I tend to follow and believe very much in horoscope.. Then one day my friend told me.. If thats the case, do you think that there are only 12 type of personality and future. Imagine people who have the same birthdate/signs, does it mean that we all lead the same life or have exactly the same personality. If you realise horoscope are written in very vague manners..

-reply by fridaylover