xisto Community
Wynter

Do You Believe In Astrology? The Personality part or The Futeure

you sure talk alot to try and discredit things when i made it plainly clear i have no solid evidence. so yes, my opinion is based on what i know through my own personal experiences. see, unlike you, my knowledge doesn't just come from books and other peoples works.no. just because pluto isn't a planet doesn't discredit astrology. sorry.you lightly touched on how the sun and moon affect certain aspects of nature, but not HUMAN nature. why did you leave that part out? are you trying to illiminate obvious facts that wont help your case to discredit astrology? that goes along with my theory that people like you just don't have an open mind.i don't have to show you evidence that over 25% of everyone i talked to about astrology has guessed my sign. if you don't believe it, that is your own problem. i also said 25% is a low #. it's more like OVER 50%! and let's round the # of people off to about 30 in my lifetime so far which means at least 15 have guessed correctly on the first guess. i have also been known to be a VERY good guesser myself and that doesn't come from pure luck or coincidence as i know the difference. yes, i may be one of the odd few that has the traits of my sign in an uncanny sense. the traits and characteristics had to come from somewhere though and specifically designated to a specific sign. the probability that it is a coincidence is less than the possibility that there is some truth to astrology given all factors of my experiences.i know comparing my own experiences with yours is like comparing apples and oranges. you have experienced very little to know much of anything aside from the information you read in books and the so-called evidence you have gathered in your lifetime that has NOT been based on your own personal experiences. it's pretty sad in fact when you consider the fact that there is more out there than we know right now. i mean, if someone were to ask you if a tree falls down and nobody is around to hear it, does it make a sound.....you would obviously say no because you would be too busy arguing with people about how there was no proof that a tree fell down in the first place. so it's funny to me how you think. you try to use logic in things you say while your logic is so warped, i don't think even YOU know what you are talking about sometimeslook at your response when i said it was ridiculous to compare the tooth fairy and santa clause to astrology. your response was "it is quite factual". your response made absolutely no sense. astrology has to do with nature. how does the tooth fairy and santa clause compare to nature? but when you consider the magical affect the tooth fairy and santa clause has on kids, you will know that they ARE real in some senses. but i am sure i wont hear you singing "santa clause is coming to town".....since that song shouldn't exist in the first place since nothing about santa clause is real in your eyes. but i still don't see where you are getting your so-called factual information to compare astrology to the tooth fairy. please do me a favor and supply your facts. just don't state what you say are facts and expect me to believe it.as far as the numurous studies about astrology that you failed to give examples to discredit any idea that there is a shed of possibility to the fact that there is some truth to astrology, i don't base my beliefs on studies alone. i base my beliefs on the experiences i have had in life. sure, my experiences can be discredited or even just what i feel the meanings behind my experiences are. doesn't matter to me that i meet up with people like you who likes to discredit anything where there is no evidence. you aren't a free thinker and that's your own weakness in life. how are you going to find love if you meet someone and ask them to prove they love you? prove to me your wife loves you, then tell me there is no possibility that there is a shed of truth to astrology. because until you can prove to me your wife loves you, you will be a hypocrite in always asking people to show evidence in your arguements. have you even told her you can never respect her beliefs? i am still waiting for you to tell her that and come back and tell me what she says. i know. this was from another thread but is relevant here.now since you have been here, you have tried to discredit everyone in the forum. this tells me one thing. you think you know it all and have absolutely nothing to learn from anyone here unless they provide you evidence on something you haven't seen or heard of yet. so let me ask you something? your a teacher. you probably taught your wife a lot too. has she ever taught you anything...especially when it comes to possibilities? i only bring her up because you did in another thread and used her as an example of something. let's get personal. let's talk about the things you HAVEN'T read in any book.fact is, i can discredit anything you have to say against there not being a possibility that there is truth to astrology no matter how many studies you hit me with. just because you think it's easy to discredit people DOES NOT MEAN you are the LEAST bit credible your own self. you wanted a fact? THAT is a fact. now if you can show me any credibility here, then show it to me. i will even accept any beliefs you have that are NOT based on any evidence. at least then i would know you were at least open to being a little bit honest without all this needing evidence b.s.

fact is, i can discredit anything you have to say against there not being a possibility that there is truth to astrology no matter how many studies you hit me with. just because you think it's easy to discredit people DOES NOT MEAN you are the LEAST bit credible your own self. you wanted a fact? THAT is a fact. now if you can show me any credibility here, then show it to me. i will even accept any beliefs you have that are NOT based on any evidence. at least then i would know you were at least open to being a little bit honest without all this needing evidence b.s.

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astrology

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/893697

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v318/n6045/abs/318419a0.html

(if you don't have a subscription then the experiment is summarised HERE

http://psychicinvestigator.com/demo/AstroSkc.htm

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18649494

http://www.ias.ac.in/currsci/mar102009/641.pdf

Edited by Bikerman (see edit history)

ok, already i am not impressed with your so-called evidence. i will go through the links one by one and give an opinion.

link 1: i stopped reading after "If I doubt astrology to a believer, I am looked at with a shocked and bewildered stare, as if I were attacking apple pie and motherhood". it was the first line for gosh sakes. we aren't argueing in the sense that you are doubting anything. you are saying there is no truth to astrology PERIOD....without any possibility. there is a HUGE difference. strike 1! ok i lied. i had to scroll down to see how he is mocking people who say astrology is inarguably true when all *I* am saying is that there is a strong possibility that there is some truth to astrology. although we didn't get in to what kind of astrology and from who the reports would be trusted more than others. it tried to compare gessing a persons birth chart to the person with flipping a coin? Hahahaha! that is your evidense? they pick out...what 700 astrologers and consider them the worlds best? what kind of evidence is this? in fact, 50% is pretty good considering there are 12 signs and all *I* am arguing is that there is some truth to astrology. ok....again...strike one. no evidence to support that there is no truth to astrology. good try though. did you even read it? case studies? how were the case studies prepares? give me some relevant information here. give me the information you would DEMAND from others.

link 2: hahaha! are you kidding me? you are giving me a wiki as your second to top link? i am afraid to even go further. yea, it does suggest there have been studies that even criss angel did in one of his magic shows. guess how much i believe in what he does is true? very little since he's a magician and in the area of astrology, knows the psychology behind it and able to control it for his benefit to prove a point. again. no evidence in the wiki and a wiki is not what i would call a reliable source anyway. sorry.

link 3: i am not familiar with the mmpi or the leary checklist. i am assuming it's a standardized test to come up with a personality profile. how can you compare standardized tests to astrology reports which is specific to the individual? also, since i am not familiar with those tests, i don't know they are coming up with a personality profile. seems like we are getting more in to psychology now and you are trying to state the differences between psychology and astrology like there shouldn't be any differences. hmmmmm why would you assume i would think this link is valid to say that there is absolutely no truth to astrology? also, when taking a personality profile test, you have to take in to consideration of how many people view themselves as they really are. it's true that a lot of times how we view ourselves, others view us different.

link 4: no, i am not a member so i read the summary. basically more personality tests which i have already discredited from link three. you cannot compare psychology with astrology. they are two VERY different things. also, true and false questions don't describe anyone. there are usually always exceptions and shades of grey due to human nature. show me how a true and false test can describe me completely and i will show you some swamp land i need to dump off on someone so gullible.

link 5: i was warned by a program i have installed not to enter that website. what kind of shady websites are you trying to get me to follow? that doesn't hold up to well for your credibility and the sites you are taking information from.

link 6: again. more personality profiles based on psychology to compare with astrology when i have stated repeatedly said that most people wont be able to define their own personality correctly and that a standardized test can't be compared to a specific chart for a specific person. even in psychology and psychiatry, it's still a science that is ongoing. there are many flaws to them too! it's not perfected in the LEAST so why do you insist on giving me examples of a science or study that hasn't been perfected to try and discredit something else? that is really naive thinking on your part if this is how you really think in showing evidence. sure, there are facts to the studies, but i see VERY little evidence to discredit astrology in the sense that there is absolutely no truth to it.

link 7: i haven't read the pdf yet. i think i might want to read it though since a quickly just browsed through it. i don't have a comment as of yet on it.

anyway, thanks for wasting a good part of my day trying to show evidence where there actually was no evidence at all to discredit the validity of astrology. i spent about an hour now out of my life to read things i already knew JUST to give you the benefit of the doubt. guess what? if that is all you have that tells you that astrology is like the tooth fairy and some fairy tale that has absolutely no truth to it or meaning behind it, then i have proven my point in how closed minded you are. you can't teach an old dog new tricks, but let me give you a bit of advice. teach what you KNOW. NOT what you don't know. you don't know astrology so don't try to teach me about it. you don't know god, so don't go discrediting him. teach what you KNOW or you are just going to look like a fool. you know math and computers. stick to those things.......not black holes.

so to quote you in what you said in another thread when someone was trying to be cute in his mathmatics, "i am not impressed".

a) There is nothing dodgy about any of those links.b ) If you took an hour to 'read' what you say then that is not so good, since you haven't read the key trials and you haven't understood what you have read.c) I seriously doubt you would know a scientific paper from sandpaper, so I return to my previous conclusion that you are a troll, and stick the ignore back on.

Edited by Bikerman (see edit history)

i am a troll? where is that coming from? you call other people in this forum the same name. what exactly does that mean? should i look up the definition and dispute that just like all your other b.s. you spew here? like i said. get your facts straight....THEN come talk to me. talk about what you KNOW. not what you don't know. this troll signing off. i did my job once again and once again, you are a robot who can never think for himself freely. enjoy your books :) i will be enjoying my life experiences....and the deeper meanings of life that your science will never be able to comprehend haha. ta ta i will await our next meeting....

This is really an interesting question about Astrology, well I would say that it gives correct prediction but it depends so I would like to share a very nice Astrology service provider. findyourfate.com. It is all about the believe; if you believe in it than it works

LOL. Not really. It's more likely that if you believe then you are willing to overlook the numerous predictions that are completely wrong and focus on the one or two that are right. Humans are very good at kidding themselves when they want to, and some astrologists are fairly skilled at cold reading.

Astrology is the art of writing specific-sounding statements that are actually generally applicable.

Read a horoscope and you may find several points you agree with. Then give it to someone else of a different star sign and watch as they agree with the same points.

Here's your horoscope:

You like to be in control, but recently you have been out of sorts and feeling put-upon. This will change as Pluto rises in Pisces in April, and your energy levels will rise dramatically. The alignment of Saturn with Andromeda heralds problems on the 3rd of April, and you would do well to keep to a routine and not take unnecessary risks on that day. Mars is conjunction with the Crab nebula on the 5th, so you will receive an ego boost from an unexpected source.

Let me know how that goes.

I hate to contribute to such an old topic, but since this is the most interesting topic on Xisto at the moment, I will give my opinion. I don't believe in astrology. In fact, I get upset when someone attempts to try to predict my future based on astrology, or attempt to tell me how I feel or what problems are in my life. The fact is that astrology, especially horoscopes, are written in a way that is so vague that it could apply to anything. I remember reading through an entire horoscope, and each one applied to me. Then another day, I read through a horoscope, and hardly none of them applied to me. It attempts to throw everyone in a single bunch, and pretty much argues that someone's actions, feelings, and future can be predicted by the date on which they were born. I know people who were born on the exact same day, and are completely different people. The fact is that people are shaped by their environment, not by their birthday. You could pick out two different people from seperate parts of the world for a clear demonstration of that fact. If you were to take two people with the same birthday from Saudi Arabia and America, those two people would most likely be completely different. They are likely to have different social belief, different political beliefs, and a different religious belief. They will have a different perpective of right and wrong, and a different perspective on life. One may not even know what a horoscope is. So the actions of people can not be relegated to a birthdate, there must be a deeper examination. That examination must include all of their influences, beliefs, teachers, rolemodels, government, media, and etc. All of the influences that are in that person's life. I think astrology, especially the way that it has been used in the modern day, is basicly a for-profit enterprise. People want to know what is in the future for them. They want to know if they will find that perfect mate, or if they will find happiness. They don't want to hear the truth, which is that no one knows, they want something tangle. They want a response that they can work with. That is why a lot of people mess around with pyhics. When their husband beat them, they go to the lady at the back of the corner store with the cystal ball and incent. The lady sit at the cystal ball and speak super vaguely, and then before a clear answer is given, the 10 mintute session is up, and the more money is to be paid.

i don't think you make a very strong arguement against astrology. first let me state the obvious. the woman with a crytal ball is a fortune teller, NOT an atrologistnow let me state the less obvious. you claim that if two people with the same birthdates aren't exactly alike, then astrology must be false. so what if they ARE similar in other ways and i can prove that two people can hold not only similarities, but uncanny similarities since we are talking about astrology and birthdates? ofcourse this wouldn't prove anything either. so why would you argue that if you can find things that aren't similar, it's supposed to disprove astrology?bikerman has made fun of how the planets or stars align thinking how they align does not influence people. this has to be the most idiotic statement to try to disprove astrology considering the facts. let's take the research done between when there is a full moon and absolutely no moon. the research is undisputable. there are huge differences in the way people act and are affected. all people? no. just certain people depending on how the sky is aligning itself. does this prove astrology? nope! but it disproves bikerman's arguements and his fun and games trying to make people look stupid.when i was studying birthdates and the significance of when people were born, i ran across a website one time. i forget what it is. i tried to find it again, but with no luck. this website asked a series of questions. the test seemed to go on for a VERY long time. anyway, after all the answers were submitted, it calculated the astrological sign and then asked one more question. the last question was something like "is this correct?" and people would either submit a yes or no answer. now since there are 12 signs, it would seem the correct odds would be a 1/12 chance of answering correctly.....or roughly 9% chance. now i forget how many people took this test, but i remember it was more than 10,000 people. this site had around a 40% accuracy rate. not 9%....not 25%. almost 50% on average! i really wish i remember where this site is so i can share it because after leaving that site and after sharing it with a few family members and friends, it just reinforced what i already believed. so i studied the data even further. it seemed like it was better at determining 1 or two signs better than all the rest, up to an 80% accuracy rate.i do think atrology is very significant and real. i wont ever be able to understand fully in my lifetime, but that doesn't mean it doesn't influence our lives. i also think astrology is different that a woman with a crytal ball or a taro card reader or just someone who claims to be psychic because they are overly intuitive.i agree with harlot 100% when he says atrology has become VERY commercial. i was never in to learning what would happen to me on a day to day basis. i really don't think anything can predict that. it is fun sometimes to break open that fortune cookie or just glance at the horoscopes once in a blue moon when it happens to catch your eye when reading the newspaper. i do however believe that astrology has the potential of being a true science and a science that can help us learn more about who we are individually. i am not talking about how two people with the same birthdate can have two seperate political beliefs because they live half way around the world from one another. especially what harlot wants to compare the u.s. with saudi. two countries with two very different political systems. no. astrology can help more with who a person is on the inside. a person's more truest nature before their learned experiences in life that influence them and make them question who they even are

So you don?t believe in astrology. Many people like you and me reject some theories, or only partially believe in them. There can be two reasons for disbelief; one comes after reasoning and observation, like all empirical sciences, and the other from lack of knowledge or incapacity of the human mind to grasp the subject matter of the theory. Sometimes a belief is also determined by a collective behaviour of a generation. It is not that we are right and the earlier generations were wrong, but it is the conditioning that is created by a particular generation that makes a certain belief a norm of the society.Astrology is one such subject where people always differ in their beliefs and opinions. If your disbelief in Astrology is purely based on lack of knowledge, or general opinion, I will try to explain it scientifically and write in more detail in my next post. Consider this as an introduction.Astrology has several school of thoughts; the most important are the Western Astrology based on the Sun, and the Indian Astrology based on the Moon. This is the reason why the Western calendar is based on the Sun and the Eastern on the Moon. Out of several contributions India made to the world in the fields of philosophy, mathematics, literature and science, Astrology is the biggest. It is worth mentioning that the Indian rishis (saints) discovered facts about the universe and the solar system, which NASA and other space agencies have only now recently discovered.Astrology to our belief is just limited to the science of predicting future or a person?s characterstics, which is not completely true. Instead, astrology is concerned with the movement of planets in the solar system and its gravitational impact on other planets and moons. When I first learnt about astrology, I too considered it as a superstition and rejected it prima facie. But only after doing some research, did I get some understanding of it.Indian astrology is all about the planet?s gravity and its impact on the Earth. Do you know what causes high tides and low tides in the sea? It is caused by the moon coming closer or going further away from the Earth during its orbit. You agree with it right ?? You must!! It was in your school books. So we can conclude that the Moon can impact the Earth?s ecosystem through gravitational force.We all know that the sea water contains salt, and the human body constitutes of 70% water. This follows that if the Moon can bring changes in ocean waves, it can also bring changes in our body and mind. According to Astrology, it is the Moon which governs our mind and thought process. The time, latitude and longitude of the location at which a person is born determines the angle of the Moon and its impact on him. Unlike Western Astrology which is based on the Sun and divides the population in 12 groups (i.e. 12 Sun Signs), Indian Astrology defines infinite possibilities. Two persons born on the same time can differ in every respect because of different birth locations. It also considers the fact that the Moon and the planets are always moving and can have different impacts on people born at the same time.Do you know the origin of the word ?Lunatic?? Every word added to our language has a history or a reason behind it. The term ?Lunatic? is associated with lunar (moon) movements and gravity. Research has proved that people?s (especially lunatics?) behaviour changes during a full moon and a no moon day.Just like the Moon, other planets also impact life on earth. Scientists have also started believing this. It is the combination of all the planets? gravity that impact our body and mind, and governs our action and thought processes. It is this planetery movement, that makes someone a poet, an artist, or a musician. Science cannot answer why one is more intelligent than the other, but Astrology can explain it.Indian Astrology is about planets and its impact on human beings. It doesn?t matter if people start worshipping Venus considering it as a Demi-God, or forecasting the future. Infact, Astrology does not even have any association with religion.To understand it, we must try to understand it scientifically and not as a superstition.

For me, the daily horoscopes are only a source of fun. I find it funny to see others that believe that they are just actors and they can't do anything about it... so they listen to the horoscopes and try to obey.C'mon, people, it's your life! You decide it! We have all the means to do what we want in our life.I was just reading on facebook a nice comment about http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/
horoscopes - of course, the question is legitimate, but as they say, at a certain point not even the predictors agree!