xisto Community
TeeCee06

Is It Possible To Destroy The Internet?

The only way to destroy the internet permanently would be to destroy every computer on the planet, or at least, every server on the planet. Even then, it would still come back as long as we have the technology to make more computers and network them again. The internet is basically like a phoenix - it would rise from its own ashes.

Even without servers, the internet would still exist. It wouldn't be so much the "inter"net so much as the "intra"net though.

So it really depends. Are you speaking of connecting to PC's not near you?(Of which you could also use BBS like they did before the "internet") or would you be speaking of connecting to other "networks" in general?(such as intranets).

If you were able to make a script that utilizes the DNS to redirect to Localhost (or self 127.0.0.1) therefor stopping most internet users in there tracks.Most users don't know the ip address of Google or any other Major site, I know the ip of my isp DNS servers and e-mail servers, and authentication servers, but i have no idea how to create a virus that affects DNS servers only.

Destroy every single server in the world, or every computer in the world, and you could destroy the internet. That's your best bet.

Oh come on now Tramp, we all know how to take out the net. You feed it enough spam and it will get so full of it, it will exsplode.

I would say that destroying the internet would be about impossible.It's made up of way too many small networks,all adding up tothe bigger realm,so to speak.Big companies like Yahoo,no doubt have all data backed up in many,many different places,so one major hacker attack wouldn't be much of a problem at all. I wouldn't worry.

Oh come on now Tramp, we all know how to take out the net. You feed it enough spam and it will get so full of it, it will exsplode.

Alright, lets set S_M loose. I think he could handle it.

BTW. 500th post FTWYAYAYYA 500th!!!! if you subtract all of S_M's spam that makes more posts than him!
Edited by Tramposch (see edit history)

The Internet will never be destroyed! It can be disabled by hackers for some days, but it will be never ever destroyed. If it is down by hackers, it will be repaired very fast. As Google cannot be hacked, so the Internet.... You all who have servers that serve to the internet network, I am sure that you are making backups. I always make backups of my server. So If the internet is destroyed, it can be taken back. The Internet have backup. The Internet existed, exists, and will exist forever (as the life on the earth exists - 5 000 000 000 and more years...).

P.S. As ink said, please don't think on things such as this! :D

Impossible! You can destroy website's with all this Ddos tools and exploits going round but to destroy the whole Internet impossible unless you nuke the whole world and every thing in space which is even more impossible !

You can remove the internet by destroying every computable device in the whole country or shut down all electric power. There are so many ways but I would say it is possible. The internet was created therefore it can be destroyed, for what creates an action reforms a reaction, so the internet's cause shall be its downfall. I would say though its going to be interesting if anyone can pull it off. The precise number of actions in a timely manner is so delicate, that one mistake would put the plan into end, and it wouldn't work out. Pure Spam on the all the websites, and trying to take down the ISPs, would be one method that is possible. You could create an endless chain of requests on Google like from a large server location setting up thousands of VPSs, and then spamming Google down by sending large requests, since Google does hold the highest bandwith, and now after those "dealings" it has the highest bandwith from all ISPs and has the total resources of them, due their well "dealings" as it uses more and more, the Internet will slow down and put it at stop. This though will end soon enough anyway, because your own servers will still be connected perpetually, and therefore the internet will still exist, but not in use. There is no practical or even plausible way that internet can be destroyed but it can be slowed down the point of virtual absolute-zero if you know of that theory, where at absolute zero no motion can exist -273 degree C, the internet in all pragmatism can only go down to -272 degree C in that analogy because one person somewhere will have some remote connection to something else.

the internet can be destroyed. it is possible. destroying every single electronic device in the world and shutting down all electric supply can destroy the internet. but doing that is almost impossible. it will take hundreds of years to destroy the internet. with the internet gone it will be very hard for humans to live

It is very possible to destroy the internet: you blow up all the servers, satelites and other devices that keep internet network going (not computers, they're just connected to internet and without servers it's impossible for them to use net). But, WHY THE HELL SOMEONE WANTS TO DESTROY INTERNET??!! I'll come there and pull your head into you *umm.. I'm not gonna say this word...*! And you'll also have to destroy all the archives and databases too. It's very difficult but you can define the internet to be a local area network, it doesn't have to gigantic global thing! The whole idea of internet was to share the information between computers and be able to send them over to other comps. But I don't think blowing them up can stop internet permanently, after all, you can always start from scratch...And BTW, this all blowing up will be very difficult after your head is located in your... :D

Edited by baniboy (see edit history)

I have always wondered if it is impossible to destroy the internet all together... is this even possible?
If it is possible to destroy the internet what would you have to do? Would you have to destroy all the Internet companys like comcast and aol? Or would that not even take care of it?

Just think, if someone took down the entire internet not only would our lives be boring but it would basically destroy the U.S. & other big countries all at once.

I don't think it is possible to take down the internet forever even if you did the entire world would be majorly pissed off at you for it cause there has been so many generations that have used the internet.

Also you would probably get into some government trouble as well.

Yes,i think it is possible to destroy the Internet permanently!If a nucleus war come true,all of the world will be destroyed,also,it will contain the internet.This case,is the most bad case,i think.If there is no nucleus war,i believe the Internet will not be destroyed.Because today people could not live without internet,they use internet for work,entertainment,and many other things,they could do many mangy things which they could not do in the real world.Have you play net game,i think it is a best explanation!hehe:)your friend, good luck to you!

You can just quite easily somehow dive to the bottom of the Atlantic ocean and cut the 12 inch network cable (its only reinforced with steel, iron and heavily armoured with rubber :D)If you cut that cable then the link from America to the rest of world was cut off, so then everybody goes mental!--Isn't this considered terrorism?