xisto Community
TeeCee06

Is It Possible To Destroy The Internet?

The only way I can see of destroying the Internet would be to destroy each and every server connected to it. Since the Internet is really just a web of connected servers, it would be nothing without them. The problem with that is that servers are everywhere! How would you find and destroy every one? The first servers you'd probally want to destroy would be DNS servers. These hold all the domains for websites. If they were to be cut out, the sites would still exest but there would be no way to access then via typing in a URL!

Is it possible to destroy the internet? I think it is a very interesting question. It could lead to a big movie for Hollywood. Just start from the question and imagine what can be done to destroy the internet, what if a big part of it is indeed destroyed, what the consequences are, how would it be restored, what happens afterwards ... ?I think it is a perfect lead to a great movie! I hope someone is reading or some people are already planning to make a movie. I am looking forward to watching it.Coming back to the question itself, I would not think it is impossible to destroy it. So I have to assume that it is possible to destroy the internet.I do not want to discuss how it might be destroyed. I think we ought to discuss how to prevent it from being destroyed. Where would the attacks come from? What are the possible points of attacks? What would be the potential consequences of a massive attack? How would we minimize the consequences of a massive attack?I would guess that the probability to destroy a large part of internet is very small and the potential consequences are also relatively small compared to scenarioes like losing power, losing the telephone/mobil phone systems, ...

If anyone's seen the IT Crowd episode where Jenn claims typing 'Google' into Google will 'break' the internet, you'll understand why this topic sounds vaguely mental.. :P

I think a lot of people have struck on the good point that the internet is not a single entity, but a large network of other people which we all have to pay (why?) to connect to. Of course, if terrorists targeted the major ISPs they could block people from viewing content on the net, but it would still exist on servers around the world- and all that would be required to bring it back online would be another ISP.

To properly destroy the internet (people have said this before but I'm in desperate need of credit), one would have to take every server in the world offline.

"EIU has researched and constructed a fully functional I-Bomb that is the first stage in the evolution of future information warfare devices. This device was shown and operated repeatedly during the course of New Fangle in San Francisco in an abandoned warehouse at 19th and Harrison Streets"

An I-bomb, which has already been invented, could easily disable electrical devices within a mile or so radius. All terrorists need is to build a slightly larger one and activate several across the globe and they're quids in! :angel:

I thinks it is impossible. However part of the Internet would crash is possible when attacked by virsus or hacker. Don't worry and image about that. Totally it that happens, I would miss myself and don't know what I can do. Because in my daily life and work, internet takes very important role. :angel: