xisto Community
TeeCee06

Is It Possible To Destroy The Internet?

If internet is defined as interconnected computers which go world wide, then disconnecting the computers from each other would therefore destroying the internet.

Other methods include disconnecting cables and satelites and communication signals, or stopping the electricity supply - no power to run the networks (also wait for the backup and generators to fail).

It costed a fortune to create internet and now it will cost a fortune for the possibility of destroying the internet. (hhahahahahaha)

In general, it certainly is possible to destroy the internet, in one way or another...

The only possible way in my opinion is to destroy the earth :D! I can not see other way.

ol d best for destroying the internetbut if you have started to destroy the internet then beaware of FBI of USTHey will surely thump you down and you will be behind the barsso best of luckbtw if you want to destroy then you have to be a genius and you should make a virus such as AIDS virus for humansyou should make a virus similar to aids and you can surely destroy the internet

If you had a sniper rifle that could fire a bullet endlessly, and you were the best sniper on this planet then i would reckon you could shoot the satellite down :DYou will be undetected, since the satellite would come down and smash to bits anyway!--Other than that, theres no other way you could destroy it in secret?

I don't think it's possible to 'destroy' the internet, but you might be able to damage it. Even if you do attempt to do this, you wouldn't be able to do so all at once. By the time you've sent your first virus, the law enforcement would be searching for you, while the systems are being backed up. So technically, no, you cannot make it go away forever. You can only damage it.Even if you try to damage it, the internet wouldn't have 1 scratch on it. :D

i don't think it is possible to destroy the web.So many people are into it that even by some miracle one is to find the key to destroying it, some people will just resurrect it again!And i have never heard of anything that can destroy it anyway..probably lots of spam on all websites so that people lose interest with it!

Yes and no.If one were to destroy all the servers on earth (blow them up) and then launch rockets into space to kill the satellites, then yes. Otherwise, no. There's too much data that is backed up for it to simply be 'erased'

Destroying the InternetIs It Possible To Destroy The Internet?

A virus would probably be the best way, though it would have to constantly evolve to prevent detection by virus scanners. Combination of neural networks, genetic mutation etc. Disabling all the domain root servers would cut off the Internet to probably 99% of the population.

-reply by Jared

that would have to be one heck of a virus and it would have to have the ability to spread like no other in the history of the internet, but a virus would probably be the only way to shut down the internet completely...and finding a way to make the world come to an end as another person suggested.

all the internet is is one or more computers attached to a network of some sorts. there are many networks. all the www is is a means to travel through SOME parts of the internet. it would be easier to shut down one network at a time rather than shut down the entire internet.

now, in the future, if the internet is ever controlled by the government through one network or you have to go through their network to access the internet, then it would be a lot easier to shut it down so i hope that day never comes :P but i feel it may come to that day in another 30 or so years. big brother always likes to be in control.

Destroying the Internet

Is It Possible To Destroy The Internet?

<p>A virus would probably be the best way, though it would have to constantly evolve to prevent detection by virus scanners. Combination of neural networks, genetic mutation etc. Disabling all the domain root servers would cut off the Internet to probably 99% of the population. </p>

-reply by Jared

Hi!@AbhayThe Internet actually just a computer network and by taking away DNS, you can't reach computers by name but you still can connect by IP address so you haven't really destroyed the Internet.Hey, did you catch the Terminator series? Apparently, even after they repeatedly try destroying SkyNet, they can't seem to put an end to it permanently :-)

None of the responses to this thread that I've been reading have been entirely accurate (and many didn't seem to make the attempt), so I figured I'd shed a little bit of light on the matter, addressing each main point that I've come across:Proposal: "If you take down servers ABC and satellites XYZ, you'll take down the Internet"Reality: You could never, ever take down all of the servers and other routing equipment that contribute to keeping the Internet alive, nor even a substantial fraction of that amount. If you want to target satellites instead, so be it, but you'll be just as unsuccessful. Not to mention that there are also countless network lines that run underwater, some being virtually as inaccessible as satellites.Proposal: "If you take down the DNS servers, you'll take down the Internet."Reality: If you have any idea how many servers are responsible for handling domain resolution, and how spread out geographically these servers are, you would understand how foolish it would be to attempt this. Do a google search for root servers and take a look at the visual representation of the spread of TLD servers. Prepare to be impressed at how redundant the system is. (If you want to see the outlook become a lot more bleak, look at what organizations are running those servers.)Proposal: "You could use a virus!"Reality: You'd be better off trying to hack through backbone cables with a plastic sword. If you want to try to develop a virus that magically devours every operating environment in existence within the overarching landscape of the Internet, good luck. Get it to work on Windows? Good, now get it to work on Linux. Get it to work on Linux? Good, now get it to work on the countless proprietary systems and other "dumb" or specialized machines that lack traditional operating systems. The list goes on.I hope this helps to clarify a few things.

the question on this thread is "is it "POSSIBLE" to destroy the internet" a virus is VERY possible in today's times. i virus is viral and acts on it own when left to feed. if nobody stops the virus, ofcourse it's possible.

also, "destroy" could mean different things. does destroy mean ALL of the internet or some of it. since viruses are the main contributing factor of destroying SOME of the internet, i would think it's very possible to destroy it all. very unlikely, yes....but possible. i think there is a bigger picture here than just assuptions in saying "no, you can't"....the bigger picture includes the ignorance of others in that when a virus does attack and take you offline, you wont know what to do.

Proposal: "You could use a virus!"
Reality: You'd be better off trying to hack through backbone cables with a plastic sword. If you want to try to develop a virus that magically devours every operating environment in existence within the overarching landscape of the Internet, good luck. Get it to work on Windows? Good, now get it to work on Linux. Get it to work on Linux? Good, now get it to work on the countless proprietary systems and other "dumb" or specialized machines that lack traditional operating systems. The list goes on.

I hope this helps to clarify a few things.

It is not possible for a virus to destroy the Internet. Regardless of what anyone wants to believe (which they can, and they're entitled to), there's no argument, it simply is what it is. You can call it ignorance, but it's ignorant to make an assertion without having a clear idea of the technology behind the Internet backbone. It's not the same as the $40 Linksys router you use at home. Some of the fundamental routing systems are impossible to disrupt through the use of viruses alone. They do not have dynamic or writable storage systems Have you ever noticed that backbone routing functions have -never- gone down as a result of viruses? That's the case for a reason: it's not possible.

Also, viruses don't just continue to feed unchecked; they have limitations. If you can name even one virus that been able to infiltrate every system on the Internet, you'd be lying, because that too has never happened.

If you'd like, you can do a little research on the hardware involved in these processes. A simple Google search for "internet backbone" would probably reveal a plethora of enlightening information.

Best of luck.

the question on this thread is "is it "POSSIBLE" to destroy the internet" a virus is VERY possible in today's times. i virus is viral and acts on it own when left to feed. if nobody stops the virus, ofcourse it's possible.
also, "destroy" could mean different things. does destroy mean ALL of the internet or some of it. since viruses are the main contributing factor of destroying SOME of the internet, i would think it's very possible to destroy it all. very unlikely, yes....but possible. i think there is a bigger picture here than just assuptions in saying "no, you can't"....the bigger picture includes the ignorance of others in that when a virus does attack and take you offline, you wont know what to do.

I think is possible to destroy the internet... Of course it is possible because everything in the world can be destroyed... Anything is for the eternity... The ways to destroy the internet, well.1. Virus: Very Very Very difficult because a virus maybe won?t go to damage all the servers and all the computers to practically "destroy" the internet... The virus maybe can damage a huge percentage of servers in the most destructive situation but the internet will be online if some computers can mantain their online status...2. International Cooperation: This possibility is futurist...., excuse me I have seen the 2012 movie twenty minutes ago... If someday the human race need to be disconnected for security purposals this way can be done... All the servers in the world will be disconnected and the satellites shut down...3. Destroying the satellites: Yeah if you some day can destroy all the international comunication you only have to destroy all the satellites that are in the earth orbit and you will go to incomunicate to all the planet... Maybe this can be a technologic terrorist attack...4. Disconecting the electricity: Without electricity there is no comunication because the differente devices work with electricity... It?s a very difficult way to destroy the internet but is very possible...So the internet can be destroyed... yeah but I don?t wanna that because I get a lot of fun in the internet and I dont want that ends....bye...