xisto Community
Robbie Rotten

Changing Legal Age For Driving

Here in Serbia, you can't get your drivers licence until you turn 18... You can't even go take your driving lessons until that age... Then, you have to drive 40hrs with an instructor, who then says whether you have the neccesary skill or not... After that, you take the test or trafic regulations, and if you pass, you get your licence... Now the law is changing, and they are introducing some limitations to fresh drivers , regardless of their age... Seomthing about some experienced driver needs to be with you for 6 months, etc.... They wouldn't be allowed to drive during night hours, for 6 months or a year, not quite sure...I do think that 18 is right age, and shouldn't be lowered, simply because the way young people think... I understad there are those who are mature for their age, but there are a lot more those who are not... They think of a car as a toy, something to brag with, etc., when they don't have the elementary knowledge of driving... We have a lot of accidents here, and sadly, most of them are caused by young drivers, up to age of 23-24, and most of them is on friday and saturday night, whe they go out...Sad but true, and I would support the change of legal driving age to 18... But then again, I don't live in the States...

max age limits

Changing Legal Age For Driving

There should be a maximum age limits for elderly drivers. One reson is that elderly drivers are the 2nd highest cause for crashes. I mean that old people should not be allowed to drive once they get past 50 yrs. Of age

I'm 20 years old, and I totally support changing the legal driving age to 18. I know what you are thinking: she can't say anything! You are 20! However, I have felt this way for a long time. I didn't want to get my license until I was sure that I was old enough to handle the responsibility (and yes, driving is a responsibility). I didn't actually go to get my license until I was 17, almost 18, years old. To all the 14 and 15 year olds that wrote, "I can't wait to drive", yes you can. I have seen to many kids from my high school get into car accidents and I have heard to many of my friends talk about the accidents that they have been in. More and more accidents are caused be new drivers from ages 16 to age 17. One teen at my high school died because he was driving to fast on a wet road. He was 17 years old. I know that there are some really ridiculous drivers out there that they are over the age of 18, but there are a whole lot of accidents that are caused be ill prepared 16 year olds. I would just like to drive down the road one day and not be passed by some 16 year old go 85 or 90. It's truly annoying constantly watching out for young drivers that don't know what they are doing.-reply by rxoneill

okay i did a speech about this ill make you guys think.As we all know most accident are cause by a 16-18 year old drivers as scientists prove that they aren't responsible that why i think it should be raise to 18 but eh your think well they will have to wait more SO? eh in that time they can get more educated and there will be more responsible. well now you thinking ya but how about the some that are well if they are responsible they can wait longer eh if they can't that proves that they aren't paitiont and and if they aren't that they will over speed because they don't want to they eh? well i though you guys are now going to tell me so not all accident are cause by this well how about the drunk drivers there 17 they cant drink yet but they do they killed people. well i though you guys would ask more but i think this would say a lot how did it feel if u set beside a 16 year old driver who just got his driving card. thats what i thought so know do you see if we raised it to 18 would you think thats u would sit beside a 16 year old driver or a 18 year old driver. I SAY RAISE THE DRIVING AGE. so now what do you think death or survival.

Here in MA, the age for getting a permit is 16, and the age for getting a driver's license is 16 1/2. A lot of states seem to allow their residents to apply for a permit at 15 1/2 and test for a driver's license at 16. I think this would be a better change. Many kids are mature enough at 15 1/2 to start driving; the problem is, however, some kids this age don't take this responsibility seriously and tarnish the name of young drivers, forcing states to bump up the driving age. By reforming the drivers test to test teenagers on the rules of the road (rather than how many days suspension you get for committing certain felonies) and their maturity levels, I think this change could easily become effective.

I had my drivers permit at age 14 and my full unrestricted license at 14 1/2 years old. I didn't see the problem then and I don't see a problem now. I do like some of the restrictions that have come in place since then, though, like night time restrictions, number of friends in the car and all that, but there are legitimate needs to do both of those too, so, like I said before, I don't see the problem. I started to sit behind the wheel as early as 12 years old driving down narrow dirt roads in a larger chevy truck. Good practice.

You don't need to LISTEN when you drive, only look? Whoever taught you that, really needs to go back to driving school.Listening is as important as looking. For the SIMPLE fact that you might be focused on the car ahead of you, while the car behind you hits a patch of black ice, and starts swerving and honking at you to warn you they have lost control.If you have the blaring music in your car, you're not going to hear the honking, and they have a higher chance of crashing right into you. It's not like you're going to magically see them, especially if you happen to look back in your rear view mirror, but they just happened to swerve out of view of it at that time.You also need to be listening for ambulances, and other emergency vehicles. Yes, they have flashing lights. But in the middle of daylight, with a hundred other cars around you on the freeway, those lights don't help much. It's the sirens. And if you are just blaring your music to the point of nearly-blowing out your eardrums, you're not going to hear them."You don't need to listen when you drive."Yes, you do. And you need to crawl out from under that naive rock you're under.

The age for getting your learners permit in california i2 15, and to get your liscense is 16.
i personally think that is a high enough age to be stuck learning how to drive.. i think people should be able to get their learners at 14.5 and liscense at 15 or 15.5 and it shouldn't be any higher. but i also think there should be resrictions to that.. i think that the DMV needs to send out like monthly progress reports to all of the student drivers and get the teachers to sign it off and put a grade, and if they slip on grades, their liscense should be revoked (SP).

Because, me, i learned to drive at 14 illegally.. and i have to wait 3 months >_< before i can get my liscnense, and even then its not going to happen because i need to pay to take my drivers ed and drivers training class before i can get my lisense.

so i think the driving age should be lowered with restrictions, and thats that :lol: i mainly think this because i am a responsible kid who wouldn't be an idiot driving 90-100 MPH, but the blasting of music i might do because you dont need to listen when you drive, you need to look.

You don't need to LISTEN when you drive, only look? Whoever taught you that, really needs to go back to driving school.
Listening is as important as looking. For the SIMPLE fact that you might be focused on the car ahead of you, while the car behind you hits a patch of black ice, and starts swerving and honking at you to warn you they have lost control.

If you have the blaring music in your car, you're not going to hear the honking, and they have a higher chance of crashing right into you. It's not like you're going to magically see them, especially if you happen to look back in your rear view mirror, but they just happened to swerve out of view of it at that time.

You also need to be listening for ambulances, and other emergency vehicles. Yes, they have flashing lights. But in the middle of daylight, with a hundred other cars around you on the freeway, those lights don't help much. It's the sirens. And if you are just blaring your music to the point of nearly-blowing out your eardrums, you're not going to hear them.

"You don't need to listen when you drive."

Yes, you do. And you need to crawl out from under that naive rock you're under.

Thanks Moogler you just gave the reply I was hoping for. From what you have written Albus, you are not ready to drive. End of. You say you've driven without insurance which is bad enough in itself, but the worst thing is that you're writing it all here. Anyone who is responsible will have the restraint to keep things to themself. You say you won't be able to magically get your license in 3 months time because you have to take your test. Well Great, Really. Why not make a homemade license whilst you have to wait? I spent 3 months on and off before finally taking my test, because it can wait. I know plenty of people who havn't even bothered taking their test yet. Whilst I also know plenty of younger people who really can't way to drive. That's how it changes as you get older.

Now to the original poster, if you're in the UK they're moving the age limit from 17 to 18. I actually think this is a very bad idea. Mainly because we can legally drink at the age of 18. Most people will have drunk before a couple of times or more, or less maybe when they are 17, but it steps up a notch. It takes a while to get over the excitement of driving, and also being able to drink at the same time will have to get over that as well. Bad combination.

I'm 18 now, but I took my test 3 months into 17. I would say the age limit should definitely not be below 17. Now I hear what youre saying some are more responsible than others but the age limit has to cater for all possible drivers, whilst still being 'fair'.

Safe driving everyone.

I agree, I think that it will lead to a lot of illegal driving due to people thinking it is their "right" to drive at the age of 17.infact, lots of the people will still drive in a stupid way, when they have reached 21.does it really

Have to say if anyone supported any suggestion to have the driving age at a younger age eg 16 or 17, some restrictions put into place I'd support, such as a blanket ban between 10pm and 6am for learner drivers at 17. In a way in Australia, theres already some restrictions in place for learner/provisional license holders (depending on states).

Most people that die in the traffic here are 18-25. Here you can get your driver licence when you are 18, and you can start to learn it when you are 16. I think getting your licence when you are 16 is way to early. Age does not necessarily have much to do when an accident happens, experience does. Still I think 16 is to early. It should be harder to get a licence, it should take more time and people should just get more experience before they can travel freely. Putting a restriction for young drivers is just crap, that is not a good solution. It would be hard to make sure it is done correctly, and... yes, it would just be hard. It should be easier for younger people to loose their licence when they do something wrong or drive inappropriate, and perhaps some kind of award when they drive nice?

I have very mixed feelings on what the legal driving age should be, as some kids can be alot more responsible than others. I think though if kids are gonna be driving at a young age that all states should put drivers education back in the schools, I dont know how it is in all states but when i was in washington state it was a few years back an elective class and didnt cost anything. Over the years they have taken it out of school there and now you have to find a place to take the classes yoruself and its pretty expensive. I think 16 is a pretty young age to be driving but as I said some kids are alot more responsible than others. I dont think under 16 should be aloud. And I do think that until you are 18 there should be restrictions on your license such as after a certain time having to have an adult in the car with you. I have a very responsible teen and a very ireesponsible teen, they are 17, and 18 now. I taught them both how to drive at 15 not in town we went to a private course owned by friends of ours, they both did very well. But still to this day only my 18yr old has her license. The other is getting hers this summer. I love that they want to drive and be independant but its hard being parents not to worry. not always about your own kids but the other person. anyway im getting off subject now so i will quit.

I'm 17, no licence yet, and I think it should be changed to 18. It gives them more time to perpare for the real world ahead. People that are going out on the road are 16 or younger. Some places have the minimum driving age at 14! They just became a teen and you want them to get killed on the road? It's just too young! Anyone 18 or lower driving will increase the teen deaths. They do say the number one killer in teens is reckless driving. It should be changed to 18 because the person will have time to mature, and understand life and the road a whole lot more than they would at 14 or so. I'm waiting until I'm actually 19 or so to get my licenece. I'm afraid to get behind the wheel. And I'm gonna do it when I'm absolutely ready to do it.-reply by Miranda