xisto Community
Robbie Rotten

Changing Legal Age For Driving

GroupsChanging Legal Age For Driving

I came onto this site, looking for some good questions and answers for my English paper and I seem to be running into the same statements from many people of and on the internet. One this that I disagree with completely is that society is labeling ALL TEENS as being immature and unable to drive a motor vehicle. Yes the statistics of teens to adults getting into accidents are much higher, I'm sure (yet to research). But there are still many more "youngsters" out there, that are capable of driving without becoming a "typical teenager" that drives. Why is it that even though there are those who are incapable of maintaining stability on the road, that the rest of the teenage population is put under the bus. My paper is a persuasive paper, talking about the legal driving age to be risen to 18 because of maturity level. Although, there are many I'm sure that all of us know, who are older than 18, who are still VERY immature to some 16 year old. Yes as you become older you become wiser which creates maturity but thats only because you have overcome many obstacles which you learn from. If the driving age moves to 18 well then, what if, the increase in death rate for 18 year-olds increases? well that because they are "new drivers" as are 16-year olds now. So when this happens are we going to raise the driving age to 21? then after are we going to continue raising the age? new drivers are new drivers.. No matter what age. Its not all about the speed and the music. Its about experience :)

-reply by debater

legal driving ageChanging Legal Age For Driving

I think the driving age should be reduced to 14 because I don't think parents want to be driving there kids all over the place non-stop. I also think it should be reduced because 12 year old can shoot a gun but 14 year olds can't drive, does that make sense to you. Didn't think so...

Dalton Bruce

Changing Legal Age for DrivingChanging Legal Age For Driving

Alright, I'm turning 16 in a year and I'm super psyched to get my license. I really don't understand the concept of bumping the legal driving age to 18 instead of 16. It's completely pointless. The legal age has been 16 for a while now so why do you think it would make a difference now? Most of the accidents are caused by drunk drivers and elderly people, so don't you think the new, young, beginner drivers would be more cautious of how they drive, opposite to older experienced ones?

Honestly, I don't think that they should change the age limit. If they do then kids are going to be doing crazy things,  taking there parents cars, not listening, and doing as they please.

If they change it they are just saying they don't believe in us, Its not only kids that get in wrecks. Adults do it to, everyone needs a chance.

And if the kid messes up then they can get there license taken till there 18, And hopefuly they don't mess up to bad to kill someone, I think that they should make kids take a test to see if they are mature enough.

I'm only 15 but I'm in all kinds of sports, I don't thank that my parents should have to drive me around all the time, it will be a big relief on them.

-reply by alexis

Descriptive Title for Opinion/FeedbackChanging Legal Age For Driving

Okay Getting your lisence at 18 is complete bull they should at least make the changes in 2010 if anything because all the kids from my age are now pissed off. They should of given more time to elt everyone know in advanced, My birthday Is in april where I turn 16 and I was supposed to have resposibilities after getting my lisence at 17 such as driving my little sister to school because my parents are working and such. Also I agree that even changing the age limit doesnt do much it will just make kids do mroe illegal things. People don't understand that kids just do the opposite of the law, this I hard to explain but here is an example.If drinking at 21 is legal and any age below that is illegal its going to make kids wanna do it more while its illegal. Right? well changing the age on the driving age is stupid and is just like that.

-reply by Author Name - e.G. John, MikeKeywords: when are they changing the law about licence age?

I think changing the age to drive is the wrong thing o do as more will drive illigaly.My son is very good and need to be abel to drive to get to six form as their is noo public transport until 1 mile.Then the bus takes 1 hour to get to school by car it is 15 mins why should  the ones who are prepared to do it the right way be punished.Deaths are mostly caused by youths who have no lisence no insurance etc.

Replying to iGuest

ok but most 14 year old are not very responsable and still they are not ready for that kind of comitmint and they do not have engh educantion and are not mature enogh and they are not even in hight school and they cant get a job so their is really not point in them driving becuse they can walk to alot of places and most teenagers aroud 16 have jobs and some teens have jobs out side of where they live. Another thing is if at 14 year old gets in to a car crash and its their fault then the govenrnment will be fourced to rise the age of getting you license to even higher and that is evern worse in 16 right now and I do not want thd age to be raised but I fell that people under the age of 16 should not be able to get their licesnse because they could not be able to have that much responsability

By: cassandra 16 female with a big opinion

like your responsible enough to control your life and others in your vechile. I don't think so. I am an adult and I can tell you ive seen some crazy teen drivers in my life. No one is a experience driver, no one. Just because you get lessons and go through a drivers education program doesnt mean your going to drive like the teachers teach you. No, kids have their own way of driving and I say if you make one mistake on your permitt you should be allowed to get your licenses. In kentucky the most popular number for drivers these days are young teens that are 16-17 and some even with their permitt. Driving should be a privlege not a right. I think if you can wait as long as you can to drive then you can see what safe and unsafe driving is for your own eyes. I think if you are under the age of 18 you shouldnt drive and even when your 18 you should get a 6 month permitt instead of 30 days.

Interesting discution. I am 33 and personnaly got my drivers at the age of 21 since I had to find the time to do the course (between school & work) and the money to pay for them.In my country the legal age with a parent or tutors concent is 16 if not 18.I do beleive that they should raise the age to 18 with probation of 2 years. Here was my situation, I desperatly wanted my drivers at 16 but seing how silly my bros was my parents refused to sign for me as they thought that he would kill himself when he would get them at age 16. So to make it fair, I had to wait till I could sign for them myself. I am not upset to have gone thru that process as ( sorry to all the younger ones) you do NOT HAVE THE MATURITY one has at 18 or 21 when u are 14 or 16. You are more influencable and might tend to have a heavier foot, and reflexes are NOT AT THE LEVEL, therefore 25 % of accidents (fact) are caused by young unexperienced drivers. My experience + maturity(21) had helped me avoid 3 life threatening accidents (with and without passengers) other driver burned red light coming from my right , other car came in my lane (on comming) and driver never saw me in their dead angle (I had a 6 y old passenger).Experience and age can only do the trick to becoming a good driver.I also support removing driver to the OLD folx ...They to are dangerous when to old!

-reply by camy

against the changeChanging Legal Age For Driving

I am only 15 years old and I don't like the fact that the driving age might change I am looking forward to being able to drive I already have the experiance from having to drive my uncle to the store but his car is a automatic not a stick so I was pretty good I only hit the curb across the street because he was talking to me and being really loud. And I tried driving my dads car but it didnt work out too well because it is a stick /txtmngr/images/smileys/smiley13.Gif 

-reply by skylar franklin

my views about drivingChanging Legal Age For Driving

I personally feel that teenagers at the age of 16 should become drivers I am supporting my idea with my daughter nichole I am aware that teenagers can get cort up in an accident but when the parents with their children such as my self have to get to work on time the teenagers can drive themselves to school/college. I think that teenager drivers help their parents out alot by driving themselves to places where they want to be. So in that case I feel that the law shouldn't change.  

-reply by sally

Replying to FeedBackerYou're an idiot, you're saying people should have to relinquish their license when they're either 45 or 50 LMAO so what when you're 50 you'll automatically hand over your license? You honestly think 50 is elderly? If you do then you're an even bigger idiot than I originally thought. For the record I'm not elderly, I do however think the age should be raised to 17 and maybe even 18. I also feel that people who are considered to be senior citizens should have to re exam, to see if they're still capable of driving.

Ok, so I think like what one person said here already. With reasons why it should be lowered to 14. Think about it, you may have your fancy reasons to say that you need to be an adult, or you need to have the maturity. But the matter of the fact is that, If would please, and help a lot of people. Like teenagers. . . They wanna drive. . .Now, so let them. I think you should let them take the test at 14. And let them get there license at 15. Or 15.5. Like I'm 15 now. And I still have to wait. And its very annoying. And going on my other factor. It would help a lot of people out. Like parents can't always make it to work on time, and they also make stupid mistakes to. So not all the time would they be able to drive. Like you may just think, "yeah blah blah blah you don't know anything, your 15" Well still. I'm 15, and I know what teenagers want. And the point of view on it. Like they could have like choices. Like maybe choose when they want to start driving. Minumum age could be 14, then like get their license later. And could go in fro a check up test every once in a while. Like its not that hard to choose a safe and great way for people to start driving at a young age. And I'm bringing another well known issue. Safety. Well yeah teenagers are going to go a little crazy, but who hasn't. Like a lot of people blast their music, not just teenagers, a lot of people get in accidents, not just teenagers. Like you just think just because you saw one inmature teenager, you seen them all, well honestly, judgment is a stupid thing in my point of view and I think its the devil behind a lot of problems. So there, you have my point of view.

Catch ya laters Calculaters.<3

I think the legal driving age should be raised to 18ish. But it ultimately decides upon the area in my head. A lot of city boys should be getting their drivers license at 18, however I think that country boys should still be getting it at 16s. They raised the permit up to age 15 1/2 over here (what kind of number is that?). But in more country areas, it is still at 14, because they have had experience driving, and their schools are so far apart they almost need a license so their parents dont have to lug them around and the buses don't have to worry about picking them up.No matter what the age, people are still going to have trouble driving their first year or so. I mean, it is just something you have to get used to. I like here how they have graduated license. Permit at 15 1/2 (drive with guardian), probationary license at 16 (only one friend in car), then after 9 months of probationary, you get your full license. That seems about right to me, to have people going from a permit with only parents, to having a full license with 4 friends, is just a little much.

This is a great idea, from a childs veiw-point. On one hand, kids would be excited to be able to drive sooner and enjoy driving ( including me ) . they would also be able to go to work if they have a job, sooner, being less of a burden on parents.On the other hand, teens already have a much higher chance of crashing or being in a wreck, and their insurance is high. Most teens insurance is already two-point-four times higher than an experienced driver due to this.In my oppinion, the PERMIT age should be lowered, but not the liscense. unless they passed the test 100%