xisto Community
Robbie Rotten

Changing Legal Age For Driving

I have heard that they may bump the legal driving age limit up to 18 years old. Which really sucks because i will soon be turning fifteen in december and i could get my permit in June. If they do change it to 18 years old insted of 16, Then I suggest that everyone somehow makes a complaint to the government and rebel. I already got my car, but I haven't gotten insurance yet. I will be soon though. And I am not going to pay 2 years of insurance for a car I cant even drive. I also plan on driving to work so my parents wont have to drive me at 16 years old when I get a job. So what I am trying to make people aware of is that if they boost up the age, EVERYONE needs to complain.-Dylan

I hear they may change the legal driving age in Pennsylvania to 18 insted of 16, if you are born after 1991. That really sucks because I am turning 15 in December and I can get my permit in June because you can get your permit 6 months before you turn 16. I already have a car, but I don't have insurance on it yet. I am getting it soon. And if they change the legal driving age to 18, then that gives 2 years of insurance on my car for nothing. If they think they are gonna save lives by bumping up the age limit, they are wrong. I need to drive to work when I am 16. And if they do boost the age to 18, That is just gonna mean that there are gonna be more wrecks at 18, rather than at 16. It won't change the ammount of wrecks. They should just leave it where it is. It will just mean more illegal drivers. If they do change it, EVERYONE NEEDS to WRITE TO THE GOVERNMENT AND STATE GOOD REASONS ON WHY THE AGE SHOULD STAY AT 16. We need to rebel!

Also, there have been pushes to push the Learners minimum age to 18 by various groups and organistations around the world, parents groups are one example. In Australian states, the requirements for holding a license before graduating to the next type of license varies. For example in Queensland, the Provisional License system has been changed to 2 levels. a P1 license (Red P Plates on the car), and a P2 license (Green P Plates on the car). To graduate from P1 to P2 iirc, requires a hazard perception type test which requires the driver to identify what they would do in harzardous situations. As for going from Learners to P1, in all states, a practical drivers test would apply. Starting off with Learners, is a written multiple choice test, in which the majority of questions has to be correct.

Well, as I just finished my licence I dont really care that much about it anymore. There really are reasons for and against, thats right. The accident statistic shows that the most accidents with resulting in death are happening untill the age of 22 or so.But of course it is cool if you can drive with 16. You just gotta be careful. And the fewest kids are careful :P

I think it should stay the same.Yes I can't drive yet but recently there have been a lot of acidents and I think I would rather not be in one.I mean yeah it would be great to drive but there is a lot of consequences, and responsibilities that comes with it.And if you can't pass your test even if you do have learning disabilities wouldn't be great since you wouldn't know anything.

In my opinion is not a question of age, but a question of cultures. I mean in some countries, being 16 means being really adult, having responasabilities, etc. In others, especially in occident you can have even 30 and still act like a child. Sometimes, your rich parent gives you a car when you get to the age that you're allowed to drive and there you go... but if you don't need the car, it's like a toy. So you drive like the dumb you are because you don't think that you're risking your life and the lifes of lots others.So I don't know. I really feel that in Spain there are lots of young drivers who don't deserve the right to drive a car. They use to be idiots who, very often have a motorbike before they can legally drive a car... and you know, they trick them to make more noise and disturb neighbours. I know it's not logical to having everybody paying for some, but it's like very generalized. Anyway I think that the real solution is change the driving exams because right now it's not about how good you drive, it's about the scandalous amounts of money you spend on it.Anyway if that age would change, drivers who already have the license should keep it, at least because they have spend lots of money (license, car, insurance...) that the government is not gonna pay, I guess.

I hear they may change the legal driving age in Pennsylvania to 18 insted of 16, if you are born after 1991. That really sucks because I am turning 15 in December and I can get my permit in June because you can get your permit 6 months before you turn 16. I already have a car, but I don't have insurance on it yet. I am getting it soon. And if they change the legal driving age to 18, then that gives 2 years of insurance on my car for nothing. If they think they are gonna save lives by bumping up the age limit, they are wrong. I need to drive to work when I am 16. And if they do boost the age to 18, That is just gonna mean that there are gonna be more wrecks at 18, rather than at 16. It won't change the ammount of wrecks. They should just leave it where it is. It will just mean more illegal drivers. If they do change it, EVERYONE NEEDS to WRITE TO THE GOVERNMENT AND STATE GOOD REASONS ON WHY THE AGE SHOULD STAY AT 16. We need to rebel!

I would be quite mad if i was born after 1990 too but I was born in '89 so this doesn't affect me so I really don't care but I disagree with you... They are only changing the age that you can get your license not your permit so people will get more practice under instruction of somebody who already has their license which I think would result in less accidents wouldn't it? I don't know but I really don't care caus it doesn't apply to me B)

I'm 16 and dont have a license yet, but it is quite fun. I don't like sticks, I let go of the clutch to early. Oops.

Ha ha I did that too the first time i drove a stick but now i'm used to it. Manual is fun!! :P

Well I'm only 15.5 and I drive all the time and no gets hurt but thats just me now, but before I loved just reving the engine of the car and just having fun with it I almost never go over the speedlimit and if I did it would only be bout 1 or to mph over. what I liked doing was ,if I came to a stop or red light after it went green id get to the speed limit as fast as possible, now I look back and realize how dangerous that was;)

I live in Kansas and I think that they should keep the age to get you permit. It's not fair that we have waited the same time as everyone else. Then they are thinking about changing it. That is not fair! I am turning 14 in the beginning of 2008 and I want to get my permit. I had to wait so why change it now!?

My opinion is that I think it shouldn't be moved up!because not all of the accidents are happening because of young people.so why take the age limit away from us?!-Aishlene

I think that they should change the driving age in Idaho to 18, because I believe that there will be less accidents going on.-Shay

I think that people should be taught to drive when they're around 15-17, because they will learn it a lot better, and will develop the right reflexes and things a lot sooner. Where I live, people have to have a learner's permit (learner's permit = have to drive with a family member next to you) for 6 months before getting their license. They also have to drive for at least 40 hours before getting their license, at least 4 of which have to be at night. Well... I'm not sure how many night hours, but it's something like that.I wouldn't say my age group is responsible and safe, but the sooner experience begins to be accumulated, the better.

Alternatively, they could raise the learners age in the majority of areas to 17 (which is pretty much the student's last year of school), and make em hold it for a year before they can legally go for their proper license/Provisionals/ or whatever they may call it in their respective countries. That way many would be at least responsible and have the reflexes to drive when they get out of school. As for those that may get a license later than normal (For example, 3 years after leaving school), it depends on their own situation really.

i haven't read through this thread to see if anyone has the same opinion as i, but in the united states, the legal age depends on the state you reside but it's around age 16 that you are able to drive. i would like a standard age of 18. i would like it increased by about 2 years because a car is dangerous and can be considered a weapon wether intentionally or unintentionally. the worst drivers on the road are teenagers. and to be more specific, male teenagers. increase it two years, insurance premiums go down and you increase a safer road. 18 is a good age if that's the age our government can ship us off to war. i still feel even at 18, it's not considered adulthood, but it's a good compromise