xisto Community
Robbie Rotten

Changing Legal Age For Driving

Should the driving age be lowered or raised?Changing Legal Age For DrivingI think that people should be able to drive at the age of 15. Or atleast have the chance if they are mature enough. I mean really wats the point of driving at the age of 18 or 21 or whateve because you might be in college by then and you wont have time 2 learn 2 drive. Plus being at the age of 21 and then geting your licesne wil increase the want 2 drink and drive. So really wats the point in waiting that long? plus it would take alot off your parents if you were able 2 drive earlier. So wy not change it 2 15?-reply by cookiemonsta

DrivingChanging Legal Age For Driving

I believe that teens should be allowed to drive at the age of 14. Many people ask why and I say why not. Statistics do show that teens are vulnerable to crashes. I agree with this statement but I don't think the right thing nor responsible thing to do is raise the age. You tell me, when you started riding a bike did you fall? I did, I fell a lot thats what my parents were there for to show me how to do it so that when I was older I didn't fall. I believe that a drivers ed teacher is much like a parent, it is they're responsibility to teach what the teen should know on the road. Age means nothing, Einstein was young when he became an impossibility. It's experience obviously older people in there late 20's and 30's are better at driving, they've been driving for a while. Teens have just started yet everyone beats them down for not knowing yet what to do. If anyones fault its they're teachers or parents for not teaching them enough before they entered the road. So if anything I believe that the government should intensify the drivers training, so that the teens are prepared when they hit the road alone rather than just raise the driving age. 

-reply by Jason Chase

I think that you should be able to drive at 16 because some students need to get up the colleges or need to places as much as an 18 year old does theres more road accidents due with 18 year olds because they are old enough to have alchol which makes more road accidents but younger students do not so there would be an increase of deaths on the roads.

I also think that in away 'some' 16 years olds are more mature then 18 year olds.  

This is hard to say. As I was able to drive at 16 but am now over 21. I think if a kid is old enough to serve his country and die, he should be old enough to drink/drive/vote. Preferably not mixing the drinking with either of those two. HOWEVER, there are the vast majority of kids under the age of 21 that I feel lack the maturity to safely/properly navigate a motor vehicle. The question that you have to ask yourself is do you punish all for the few that are overly reckless? I also think that if you are going to declare someone a legal adult (18) then they should be given all the privileges of a legal adult. However, this has been a good way to maintain/limit alcohol consumption by high school students. It is already very prevalent however, how much worse would it be if an 18 year old could buy alcohol. Raising the legal driving age could possibly retard the progression of an individual's independence. Individuals will have to rely on their parents longer. Can't get a steady job with reliable transportation if you cannot own your own vehicle and transport yourself to your job, which enables you to save and eventually move out. How many people do you know that are in there 20's living at home. How old do you think people will be if you push the driving age up too high? It could also be argued that public transportation provides an alternative to that... So, both of those debates have me very mixed on the subjects. I think more good than bad will come of raising the legal driving age however.

Edited by SinceUrUp (see edit history)

I think the driving age for a car should be 17, I think for a moped the legal age should be 15. For a HGV (lorry) should be 21. Yes these ages will increase global warming but never mind! We might as well live in style while we can. Though I do think Global warming is a load of rubbish.

I only really agree with the last part. The (Man-made)Global Warming being rubbish. I think the legal driving age should be 18. Unless you have joined the military. Since that is supposed to be the age that you become a 'legal adult'. They say that bikers have to abide by the rules of the road, so a moped would be no different. So, I don't think they should be allowed on roadways until the age mentioned above. Who's to say they don't do something stupid to cause an accident amongst 'actual' drivers. I have no idea what HGV is :angel:.

Edited by SinceUrUp (see edit history)