xisto Community
Robbie Rotten

Changing Legal Age For Driving

I'm 16 and dont have a license yet, but it is quite fun. I don't like sticks, I let go of the clutch to early. Oops.

Hi!

I got my license a while after I turned 18. It took about 2 months of driving lessons and tests. The tests were subjective and don't depend on the test-taker's ability to drive. They've got a quota of licenses that they can hand out, which is about 7 per day of about 40 test applicants so if you're lucky, your name pops up in the raffle! :-D

I've got a license for an automatic transmission, but I did step across international boundaries for which I applied for a stick shift. When driving stick, my instructor always complained that I'd wear out the clutch because I never let go. I can drive stick perfectly well now, though I haven't been in a stick-shift LMV for well over a year (they're quite rare in these parts).

Regards,
Nitin Reddy

Oh, in my country the min age for getting a driver license, is 18. I doubt if you could get it to 21. But accidents happen even if you don't have normal or strict police rules. People are going crazy, I don't really understAND what is so nice to go so fast as to kill someone or yourself. Well, people drink, and lots of accidents happen because of people being drunk and driving the same time.

I am excited to be driving in like a year so I definitely don't want them to up the age of driving. I don't have many drivers in my family so it is hard to get to lessons so being able to drive will help. Plus I believe that the reason these teens are getting into more accidents are because they are not mature enough or don't have enough driving experience, but this does not mean that every 16 year out is not mature enough. Also a lot of jobs require driving and if u cant drive until later it will be hard to find a job for start saving.

-reply by ataaajdjs

ResponseChanging Legal Age For Driving

I don't believe it is fair to say that it is just teenagers who are causing accidents. They are new drivers, so of course the amount of accidents in this age group are increased. If you moved the driving age to thirty, there would be more accidents at thirty, because again, they are new drivers.

However, I do agree that many teens are reckless in their cars, but should this ruin it for those who are responsible and mature?

Many teens drive to work at 16, 17, and even 18. With these teens not being able to drive, that allows for more "destruction of the community". Teens will have too much free time to do God knows what...And they will have a harder time adjusting when they go off to college, on their own, just beginning to drive. 

I believe teens should be able to get their permits at the age it is required now, since they are under the roofs of their own houses. They can use their families as guidance for driving. 

Think about it, would you rather have your children driving at the age they can start drinking?

-reply by Rachel

ResponseChanging Legal Age For Driving

To be fair you are talking the biggest load of rubbish ever, a 14 year old CHILD should not be allowed to be in control of basically one of the most dangerous weapons in the world when used wrongly. I am from the UK and I am 17 coming on 18 within a month, I cant wait to finally pass my test but to be fair if a 14 year old was driving over here in the UK people would think it was extremely stupid because they have not matured from school, once you move on to college and then realise you are being treated like an adult you actually start acting like one and realising the dangers there is of driving. So to start driving at the age of 14 is ridiculous especially in an automatic car as its easier than a manual, alot of countries get it easy when driving because they don't get taught how to use a manual car then as soon as they come to the uk and drive a manual they don't have a clue.

Extremely stupid idea, the law SHOULD be changed

-reply by Matthew Hull

wat the heck ppl dont understand its not the teensChanging Legal Age For Driving

well I'm 14 and I'm doing research its not the damn age that matters ok its all the damn retards that don't care bout driving I'm 14 and I can drive like a permanent and I can get my actual license at 15and I'm saying that it really don't matter bout how mature they r all that matters if they had practice and discipline the people wit really bad practice the ones who mess up not the 14 year olds and most accidents r dumb retarded drunk drivers that r older then 21 that could drink so stop saying its  all the young pplz fault.

any way were better at every thing (:P) lolz smile face (/:D)

-reply by jamie fox

what theChanging Legal Age For Driving

personally I think 16 is the right age to start learning and 18 to drive because no one is the best driver straight away and many people get killed on the road thinking that wow I have had a lesson I'm the best driver, it not you that your worried about its the people around you and u start to learn that when someone u know dies in this situation. I'm going for my p plates in a couple of months and I love driving but I know that if I make one mistake that could change mine and others around me lifes forever... So think about it before u complain about not driving at 15

WHAT THE??????????Changing Legal Age For DrivingI reckon that it is a pretty silly idea to change the legal driving age to 17 because by the people will have stopped changing the legal driving age, little kids will be like 20...-TAY

Driving Age Changing Legal Age For Driving

alright so I'm 15 and a half most of the people my age think driving is the coolest thing. I beg to differ although I do not have my permit yet I have been driving since I was 13 and there is a thrill to it. I think there should be some sort of permit that I could get so I can drive by myself in the little and I mean little town I live in, and get my license after 6 months,  my grandma is an elderly woman and is my guardian also most of the time she doesn't have enough energy to get up in the morning muchless take me to school, practice, or a game. I need to be able to get places but she cant always get me there. And I'm an extremely active sophmore and my little sister is a pretty active 7th grader herself, if you think about most teens want their license to "curse" but I need my license to get things done.

-reply by Isa

teen drivingChanging Legal Age For Driving

It's not just teens, but if raising the age keeps the reckless ones off the streets until 18 then maybe just 1 or 2 lives will be saved...Isn't that all that matters?

-reply by guest

I think that at age 15 and higher you should be able to get your learners, than wait till your 16 than go for your licence, and should be able to have it at 16. I also do agree that at age 17 to get your licences. Would be a good idea to keep reckless drivers off the road, but also there are many teens that need their licence for school, jobs, family, and just cause stupid reckless drivers ( teens) don't know how to drive doesnt mean that every other teen shouldnt be able to get their licence.

-reply by doesnt matter

Now this is a good debate I think as it's something I'm not happy with as I have haven't passed yet.I first started having driving lesson at 17 and I didn't fully understand that I would have to take quite a few as I have learning disabilities and I quit them.

As for my brother he has been taking them for a couple of months now bu the thing that has pissed him off quite a bit is that they are supposedly chnaging the age of when a newbie can learn how to drive and that will include even when they have passed.

They are supposed to be poutting the age of legal driver up to 21 as there hgas been too many idiots and accidents through the new youngsters at 17 years old or even 18 driving around like lunaticks and killing people as they ain't watching the road. They're are like more concerned about listen to their music at full blast and hitting the gas and doing like 70-90 miles on the M1.

What's all of your thoughts on this debate????

i want to say that the age of driving should not be reduced ,,its not just driving capacity but so many things that a man or girl in a smaller age can not have.the gae gives you some ideas of understanding as well as a sense of humour .suppose during driving a small *BLEEP* or hen comes under the wheel or forget suppose a man in a lonely road comes under his wheel,a matured person can bring the man to the hospital but a child can not have this much of caurage and its possible that after that incident he or she could emotionally become imbalanced

um, I'm seriously sick of the annoying pricks that we call the adults of today. Experience doesn't come with age, it comes with learning from your mistakes. If you raise the legal driving age... The 18 year olds are just going to make the same mistake that the 16 year olds of today make. Don't be a moron.

-reply by somekid.

@sweet_princess

I know right! I'm 14 too! :) Except here in CA we need to be 15 and 6 months to drive. How stupid is that!?!? why can't they just make it 15?!?! >:(

If we were in alaska or idaho, we would be driving by now. :(