xisto Community
TavoxPeru

Goodbye Gmail, Hello Googlemail?

I think that all the new users who signup for GMail will be offered to select their choice of domain names for their mail ID's just like a few free email providers offers.

it's not so obivous, because, if you go to the gmail "register" page, there is a "check availability" box, and currently you check if "yourname@gmail.com" is available.

I think that all the new users who signup for GMail will be offered to select their choice of domain names for their mail ID's just like a few free email providers offers.

That is not correct, when you signup GMail does not offers you the posibility to select your domain name for your mail ID.
If you want to use your own domain name you have the posibility to sign up for the Google for Applications service, which allows you to use GMail, Google Calendar, GTalk and Google Page Creator for your own domain name and all alocated at Google's servers. I use it a while for a domain name and let me say that is very easy to use, administer, and configure, the only thing that i dont like about this is that you dont have complete control over it.

Best regards,

Eh whatever. I know that this this story's two months old, which is pretty new, but I think the owners of Google, being billionaires, would have a way out of this. :ph34r:

I have a question, what's the difference between google mail and Gmail i thought they were the same!

Let me guess, you did not read the above post.

And yes, googlemail is also gmail.. I recommend you review all the post above yours to get what is going on.

Yes, this topic is rather old ! :ph34r:

When this topic started, people were wondering if the label of their mail address would change.

Today, Personnally, I know, no problem. My old addres@gmail.com is still my current one, so nothing changed for myself.

Did some persons here in the forum have their google mail address change due to the problem mentionned at the beginning of this thread ?

Yordan

I have both gmail, which i got near the beginning, then googlemail, which was sort of in the middle, and now the new addresses i create are gmail again. I never had any problem or any switching of one to the other, and for my @googlemail addresses, i can write @gmail instead and it goes through without any problems and vice versa.

It might sound serious when we read it like this, but I sincerely doubt that Google will give up easily. Let's not forget that the people in Google have a lot money - and money makes the world go round. They are aware that changing gmail.com to googlemail.com would put off numerous users, and, if I were them, I would make sure that doesn't happen.

That's very true, because after all, they have stocks too, so they have to be careful when it comes to a decision like that. I have to admit I'm a GMail addict. I love how the logo is so compact yet effective, and ridding it of its name like that is just unnatural. Can't say I'm rooting for the change, but I really hope they don't.

I love gmail, but I wouldn't like the whole name change. I haven't heard any news of such a change though, so we'll have to wait and see about that. If they DID have a change, I hope that all emails sent to my gmail would be redirected to googlemail. Google is rich enough to buy out any copyright though. It shouldn't be a problem for them.

Oh no.... this is bad... googlemail just sounds way too gay! What is google trying to do? Just buy the damned copyrights from the company! Will this only affect UK users? Or affect all of us?