xisto Community
TavoxPeru

Goodbye Gmail, Hello Googlemail?

the next story is pretty simplr,first google will try every possible legal way to acquire the doamin and if they dont get it may be they will have to pay that uk company a few million dollars toi get the trademark back,which i am sure that google will have no problem too.google launched gmail as a beta,i dont know much abt trademarks but wouldn't that hurt them in acquiring the trademark,but again a trademark registered in uk may not b e used in us as they dont have any right to it unless they had registered in both countries before the google applied for the trademark,i also thing that the more famous the trademark for a company ,the more it acquires the right to acquire the trademark,basically a trademark is one can say a caollection of letters ,a word or collection of words which symbolises that particular organisationand in this case if 100 people asked what gmail refers to,all will say a mail service of google not some iiirs or something ,so the case may be straight and clear that the entire right for the trademark should go to google rather than that ul iir company or any other company no matter when they registered a particular trademark and how does a uk registration of trademark wotk at us i ont understand that one

I like the name Gmail. Googlemail sounds awkward.

That's the trick. You find a nice name (even if not a domain-name). And if somebody is successful using this name, you say "Hey ! This name is my property ! You cannot use it !"Imagine what would have happened if IBM had discovered that "PC" standing for "personal computer" was a brand name deposited by something else !

Oh My God. I just got Gmail about two weeks ago. I thought it was something new. Will it still run the same as it usually does? Gmail is the best service I've used. It's so fast and easy. I hope they don't do anything to mess it up. I have also started using it as my default email.

Edited by dropkicksidekick (see edit history)

I don't think google will pay 60 millions dollars to IIR (that's the estimated value for the name), so I guess they will switch to another thing. Googlemail sounds too long, I think they will come up with something new, as they always do. In any case, it seems they have lost the UK case, and may as well lose the US case too. Google it seems has also tried to get gmail.net domain, but the owner wouldn't let go. For him Gmail stands for Grafical mail, and he's not willing to transfer the domain. If I were him, I would settle with some few millions ;)

How could they loos rights to it? Are they selling them or did someone have them first? I use Yahoo and haven't had any problems yet. I don't like how the website is getting to have larger programs but it gets the job done. Do you think you will loose your account? I thought Gmail was still only a beta? I have heard that AOL has a free your_name@your_name.com email account. Maby you could look into that if Gmail looses there rights? Googlemail.com isn't all that bad. Its just a little longer. If you like there mail set up you should stick with it ;) I was thinking about trying it but I never got invited and didn't really want to try too hard to get someone to invite me.Thanks,
Sparkx

I think that is possible that gmail looses only the domain name and this would not affect in any manner to all the gmail users, maybe the only thing that will happen is that google change the domain name to whatever they choose.

BTW, i think that gmail is still in beta phase but what i'm pretty sure is that right now it is open to any user so you dont need an invitation, simply enter the website and register yourself.

Best regards,

GoogleMail the name is just fine, but I am very used to Gmail and it is much shorter also, which I think is a good thing. Small and easily identifable.It would be quite a nuisance if mine did change as I use it not only for email but also for IM clients like MSN Messenger.Regards, Chesso

GoogleMail the name is just fine, but I am very used to Gmail and it is much shorter also, which I think is a good thing. Small and easily identifable.
It would be quite a nuisance if mine did change as I use it not only for email but also for IM clients like MSN Messenger.

Regards,
Chesso

I guess that you should have no problem, if you are from Australia.

QUOTE(sparkx @ Feb 27 2007, 06:56 PM) I was thinking about trying it but I never got invited and didn't really want to try too hard to get someone to invite me.
Thanks,
Sparkx

GMail has opened up their registration I think all you need now is a cell phone.

Cheers,
-Jordan

Do I really need a cell phone? Do homephones work? I don't like telling people my cellphone number because I don't want to be added to a telemarketer list. I also don't have texting on my cellphone anyway so I don't think I can join. I will look at the thread about what people think about it in a moment. If people like it I may just get it using my friends cellphone (unless thats against there TOS).
Thanks for the help ;)
Sparkx

I have used Gmail for a long time and I will continue to call it Gmail, regardless of what they change the name to. It really wouldn't matter if they renamed their service GoogleMail, because Gmail meant that anyway; it is just an extension of the existing anagram. Google could possibly buy the rights and pay for the damages of the changing of the name of IIR's product (only 60 or so million according to the article). Google is such a massive company that they can just pay off anybody they want without too much difficulty. I hold stock in Google, but I don't think a simple change of name would matter, considering that Google can keep the domain name. I expect Google to fight this one pretty hard because they are a higher profile company than IIR and have more to loose in changing their name.

Do I really need a cell phone? Do homephones work? I don't like telling people my cellphone number because I don't want to be added to a telemarketer list. I also don't have texting on my cellphone anyway so I don't think I can join. I will look at the thread about what people think about it in a moment. If people like it I may just get it using my friends cellphone (unless thats against there TOS). Thanks for the help ;)
Sparkx

not anymore. now you can just fill out the form and get a gmail account without having to have a cell phone. But also, even if they switch to googlemail, and you get stuck with JohnDoe@googlemail.com, you can still give out your address as JohnDoe@gmail.com and it will send it to your googlemail box anyways. then if you use a POP3/SMTP client that supports it, you can mask your googlemail address so that when you send email to people it looks like you have a gmail address extension. --to avoid confusion. Now that i said that, i think it's even right in the gmail settings, where you can specify a return address and sending address?

Wow, that is very interesting. Who would have thought that gmail was already owned by another company. It seems like everyone is trying to get a piece of google lately. But with that lawsuit going through it wouldnt hurt me so much because my gmail account is rarely used. Although I still would have to go to certain online areas to change my email address to the new extension address. I am hoping that somehow it would not go through and I wouldnt have to change anything because being as lazy as I am I dont want to go find the online resources that I used to replace the email extenson with the new one.

Wow, that is very interesting. Who would have thought that gmail was already owned by another company. It seems like everyone is trying to get a piece of google lately. But with that lawsuit going through it wouldnt hurt me so much because my gmail account is rarely used. Although I still would have to go to certain online areas to change my email address to the new extension address. I am hoping that somehow it would not go through and I wouldnt have to change anything because being as lazy as I am I dont want to go find the online resources that I used to replace the email extenson with the new one.

In my case, it would be a bad situation because my gmail account is my default email and i'm subscribed in a lot of mail lists, forums, etc with it.

BTW, Grafitti your right, you can set the return and sender address in your account configuration page.

Best regards,

As most of the members around here suggested, the @googlemail.com domain would sound a bit ackward! And no wonder Gmail is such a sweet brand, someone must've thought of copyrighting it before!

But I didn't get the point of localizing it to UK! ;) I mean Google has got one common domain for all its mail users - @gmail.com Unlike other services like Yahoo!, it doesn't use localized domains like co.uk (or atleast I didn't come across any such domain) So if Google lost rights to the @gmail.com domain in UK, then it must be in effect world-wide! So now, either Google has to sort out its users and hand them their localized domains all over, or use localized domains for the UK users (@googlemail.com) and keep the rest in peace! ;)

I surely won't like pronouncing my email ID on the @googlemail.com domain... ;) Lets just say the Google Networks got one more problem in their hoards already to tackle with, and fast! They're not going to remain BETA forever, are they?! ;)