xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
pat23

Norton Or Kaspersky: Which Is Better?

I use avast now . It is brilliant in detecting virus through real time monitoring . For your question I prefer to use some other anti-virus because both are memory hogging . I prefer to use avast home edition which is free for home use or buy a pro version .But if you need firewall etc zone alarm is my choice but their anti vir is not that much good.

My friend is an avast addict, he says he use it because it is skinnable. l <_<

I use avast now . It is brilliant in detecting virus through real time monitoring . For your question I prefer to use some other anti-virus because both are memory hogging . I prefer to use avast home edition which is free for home use or buy a pro version .But if you need firewall etc zone alarm is my choice but their anti vir is not that much good.

But when I tried avast, it was giving me a lot of flase alerts (it is called false positives or something like that, I am not sure of). Now I am running Kaspersky, version is 7.*..

It seems good, but the interactive firewall is not very easy to handle, so I just disabled it.

I've used both Kaspersky and Norton, and I would say that Kaspersky is way better. I got a virus once, and I knew I got it, and scanned my shared desktop with Norton, and it came out with nothing, the scanned it with Kaspersky and it found and deleted it.. My computer has Norton installed on it because my ISP provides free Norton a subscription for ever, so my dad put it on, and took off Kaspersky. I don't personally just trust once anti-virus program on my computer, so I always at least install two programs on my own computer it's more safe.

Ive never even heard of Kaspersky, but from wot u are all saying, i would like it better than norton probably. i hate norton anyway, i got a 3 month trial with my computer, i HATED it, then i got pc-cillin, used that ever since, its heaps better, i got the 2007 version 2day cos my 2006 one expired. lol

FOR REFLEXIONNorton is really slow but the most secure alternative. After install Norton Internet Security, your computer will be locked and overcharged. As you will not be able to use your computer, forget about virus, there will not be free CPU to run any process. Norton is a good tool to migrate from Windows to Linux, Once your Windows is completely unusable, you will need a well done, efficient and natively secure OS.Kaspersky is good too, the only problem is that your Windows will be turned usable and secure, that is not good, Windows was designed to produce headache, frustration, less productivity, the need to buy a new computer every 6 months or kill your self.SERIOUSLYThe best AV is: yourselfBlessings!

Edited by develCuy (see edit history)

All this day I was thinking about which AV to choose from these two: Kaspersky or Norton. All ppl who said that Kasp is mush better were right . My problem for 2 days was very slow work of browsers ( Opera and IE7) but as I installed Kasp ( initially deleted Norton ) and initiated Kasp Scan I suddenly felt increasing of speed of my browsers . Kasp deleted 39 trojans and viruses that suddenly occupied my PC ( I think my Internet provider was attacked ) . Norton was dreaming all this time / Also tried AVG -this free prog made a scan during 5 hours and finally got stuck / Kasp is the best /

I am currently using norton antivirus 360, and so far I have been protected for the longest that I can remember, there was never a computer that I have owned that didnt have norton on it. I know that may sound like Im bias and will support norton, but I have tried other antivirus softwares and it did not protect me from the spyware, and pop up adds. The various anti virus programs that I have used throughout my time of owning a computer was pc-illn, avg, and others which I cant remember at the top of my head, and all have failed in where I got some sort of virus slipping through. I dont know if that virus that those programs caught was actually was a virus, but it wasnt able to remove it and resulted me in reformating my computer. That was the moment when I was converted and started to use norton, although there were times where a virus had slipped through into nortons detection system, it also was able to remove it so I was glad it did, or else I had to reformat my computer yet again. But the most reliable norton software that I found was probably the internet security softwares, compared to the antivirus software alone. The internet security actually monitors the sites that you are visiting and watching out for unsuspected things to enter your system. But the one downside with all if not most norton protect products is that its a memory hog when its scans your computer and u basically end up having to wait till its done before you are able to use your computer again. Thankfully, they released a supposedly imrpoved version of their software which is called norton 360 which is all that and is NOT A MEMORY HOG, and I do notice the difference and feel that I am getting the same protection as I did with their previous software of internet security. So if I was to choose the best anti virus protection software it would have to be norton, I am still waiting for another software that has climbed its ranks and popularity over norton before I switch, because I currently dont trust any up and coming software unless its past a serious of recommended tests.

From my point of view. Between Norton and Kaspersky, Norton is better to choose! Why?Norton is:1. One of the longest running anti-virus/spyware around!2. Supports a wide variety of security! Which includes Net Security and Email Security too and a lot more!3. And do support even back-ups! like there Norton Ghost(if im not wrong with the name).

Edited by tuko (see edit history)

JStreetzI have used both programs in the past (and I build pcs) and hands down it goes to Kaspersky. Norton is a great product but even after running updates and a full scan, when I installed Kaspersky Internet Suite it still found problems. My suggestion would be one of two things, but this depends on what you use your pc for, how much memory you have and your procesor speed (if you want to be technical) Either: A) (At least 3GB memory) Combine Kaspersky Internet Suite w/ CA AntiVirus, Counterspy, Spybot and Yahoo Antispy(which happens to be Norton, go figure!) OR B) (Anything less than 3 GB) Use CA EZ Armor with AVG and at least to of the antispy programs mentioned in "a"."Note= I say at least 3 GB to run without really noticing any lag... any less you will notice it slightly during some apps)Free programs are good but usually the drawback to them is that they are play the role of the sole surviving hero with no sidekick....They arent compatible with too many other programs or platforms or they were constructed (probably unintentionally)for certain specifications the average person either will not have access to, afford, understand or are simply unique(home mods). With constant new threats you need more than one set of "locks and alarms" on your system and I must admit although my option "A" is a bit of a memory mogul, the end result is a 98.5% coverage (nothing is foolproof) I found that combo to be an awesome deterrent for attacks option" B" works just as well only the real difference is that you have to have a little patience and some time on your hands to work out the kinks in between programs, although you probably could just google up most of your inquiries.Hope I helped ....

JStreetz Also I forgot to mention in my other post Kaspersky actually is cheaper than Norton, easier to use and has more features so you don't have to continuously configure it. It practically teaches itself what to look for, updates more frequently and is overall just superior. What most folks don't realize is that a majority ot of viruses, spyware/adware and other pests come from overseas (Russia and China mainly) Kaspersky Internet Security Suite(if you cant tell by the name) is a Russian Program the has anti-virus,anti-malware, anti-hack, anti-spam all in one for about the same price as Norton, but......well lets just say you would end up paying more for these other features javascript:showTab('ComparisonChart') as well as backup to cover what norton missed.(Moral is: more is not necessarily better in this case) for one year of service

I don't have much money to buy antivirus license, so I'm using AVG now.I've tried 30 days trials from kaspersky and I satisfy with it, but I still can't buy it :rolleyes:The only problem with kaspersky is : the default setting is too secure. I hate popups or some text coming up from systray.