xisto Community
kc8yff

Best FTP Client

LOL, let's just use Windows Explorer. You hear that "MAC" users, you can just use Windows Explorer! Isn't that amazing????? (if there is someone who cannot see the sarcasm in that, they i refile you)

I've used CuteFTP for about 10 years now. Probably not going to change anytime soon. But I started using it when there weren't a lot of choices. Command-line ftp is so labor intensive, always needed to keep a cheat sheet nearby. Currenlty using CuteFTP 4.2, the upgrades are inexpensive but the version I have now suits my needs. Came with a trial of CuteHTML a text editor that has some nice features. Of course I like all script editors the have line numbers!Happy Transfering, vujsa

:), why use FTP anyways? I use SSH to maintain my site, is easier, because you don't have to do the "open-edit-save-upload routine"  but a "open-edit-save-done  routine", just mail the support to enable your SSH thingy and get putty (ssh client).

On topic, best ftp manager for me is total commander, it's a file manager, decompression-tool too. Too bad it's shareware.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I know I am late in replying :( but I wasn't here yet LOL... Anyhow, I was wondering about SSH, I do use FTP for my ISP's webspace, but that's only because they don't allow ANY other kind of access. I used to use SSH (even from Windows) just because as you said, it *is* way nicer. But I do want to stress that even though SSH is faster because you are working on the server and not on your own machine and then connect to the server, but it also means you can make mistakes way easier if you don't know what you are doing. So if you wanna try SSH, first take a back up of the original setting (and files) on your lil nest on the Xisto server :) (Thank you Nils for that piece of good advice)

FTP-wise, I've mainly used WS_FTP pro, however; I have tried AceFTP, which I thought had a very nice interface and was easy to use. Also I felt it was faster in uploading than WS_FTP. I also used the DOS FTP way :( because for some reason I like command line.... must be due to my years in Linux LOL. On Nils' advice I am giving SmartFTP a try too. But I may just completely switch to SSH now.

FTPVoyager is best by far! Of course we can always use Windows Explorer!!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i've used lot of ftp clients....but at this time i'm using smartFTP and i like it so much, but my friends tells me tha FTP voyager i better then smarFTP, i'll try it in future :D

So im the only one using command line ftp ???

Well I use CuteFTP myself... Its good stuff though I got this neat WebDrive thing installed aswell and I guess that counts as a client aswell. Its a neat little thing that creates the FTP site as a virtual hard drive on your computer... Its alright I guess

i have some philosophy related topc, if something works ok and it's works well keep it. For this reason i always use the same ftp client Flashfxp, with it i can always get all ftp sites, works well, simple interface, bookmars, etc. The speed is good and always upload and download all i want, never freezed that i can remember, so i use this ftp client.well when it bug me, maybe i will find a different choice, but for now, i will stick with this software.GreetsDeivid

I really didn't like CuteFTP, however, SmartFTP was alright. I don't know why everyone gets it. It takes long to load most things, and sometimes I get a weird "Timeout" error, and it kicks me out of the program. I don't know if you guys get it, but I sure do.

I'm using a freeware version of CoreFTP, I really like it a lot. It's nothing fancy, but it serves it's purpose and isn't cluttered like some other FTP clients I've tried.