xisto Community
kc8yff

Best FTP Client

My favorite FTP client is Filezilla. Its not loaded with the extreme security features of Cute FTP. Although, its quite lightweight and does what is required - Upload/Download files. CHMODing is also supported. Being open source anybody can download the source code and extend/customize it to his/her own needs.I once decided to create an FTP client of my own and in the process learned quite a bit of the protocol. It was initially built in VB and then ported to .NET. The application could only download & resume files. It lacked most of the features of a generic FTP client. It was sort of built by need of a program to download a huge file from a site without having to worry about bad shutdowns that corrupted the file. None of the download managers could recover the file from that point. So, I decided to build one of my own. The application could recover the broken downloads and that too without corrupting the file.One day I plan to build a complete FTP program and hopefully get people to vote it as the best or atleast their favorite, in here.

need help to transfer website into different host provider

Best FTP Client

Hi there,

I am total novice with the whole FTP thing.It's URGENT! Please help me to transfer one and only small website into different hosting . I have no idea how to do it, and afraid that will do something wrong.

Please help me - all of you sound a way more knowlegeble.

Thx

-reply by mila

Well I've used a few FTP programs in the past and would have to settle with CuteFTP, which is the one I'm using now.

I found that filezilla was a bit awkward compared to CuteFTP, maybe that's just me but I have tried SmartFTP but I would pick CuteFTP ahead of it.

If you want to know some other good programs you could use here is a link that reviews all of them in depth detail.
http://www.toptenreviews.com/software/

Top 3:
1.SmartFTP
2.CuteFTP
3.FlashFXP

best ftp client everBest FTP Client

yeah, filezilla rules :)

I was looking for something modern, with a lot o functions and options, but I came to realize that the only reason I use a ftp program is to upload and to download stuff from a ftp server, like pictures, movies & stuff. You can spent some bucks on Smart FTP, which in my opinion is the best FTP client but you will never need more that Filezilla can offer you, trust me. It had some bugs a couple of months ago, but now they are all fixed.

So, even pay for Smart FTP or download the open source FIlezilla. These should be the only two options for anybody.

Zogy

@Eggie I think SmartFTP is paid FTP client. Why waste money while we have a good open source like Filezilla. I recommend you to try Filezilla. It is very good.

agreed. I too use Filezilla. It's probably the best FTP client you can find for any platform be it Windows, Mac or Linux.

xboxrulz

hmm...is it?i don't remember paying for it...maybe i did something illegal with it or something...i don't really know but i used it....oooh....30 day trial??i think that was ithaha i didn't have any more time to make adjustments to my site so i stopped using it probably...thanks for sharing your thoughts about filezilla...when i get my 13$ worth of myearnings(need it for domain),i will start using it...Thanks...Eggie

I've downloaded FileZilla on my desktop. It gets most of my work done. It's free and constantly updated. Also FireFTP is extension for Mozilla firefox, handy if you've lower number of files to be uploaded. For larger number of files better use dedicated program. Other than this two more options : CoreFTP and GoFTP.Recently i had chance to test SmartFTP on my friends computer. Nice little app i must say. It is also free.