xisto Community
kc8yff

Best FTP Client

I have been trying to find some good reliable ftp client that is free. Since I know that WS FTP is no longer freeware, I must now search for something better.I have tried Core FTP, but found that altho it is free, it does have alot of complications. My most used ftp client 2 years ago was WS FTP LE.. I just wanted to say, thanks for posting other names of ftp clients that may be free, that I could check out since I now need a new ftp client to upload or download from.Zandramas.

I ahve to admit ive used SmartFTP for ages and loved it, its free although has a silly message at the start. it works great and ive never had any toruble with Smart fTP in my years of use with it. WS ftp was good but i love my Smart fTP the most. Just my 2 cents.

i reccomond AceFTP. it can be downloaded freely and registration is also free. you only need your email address. you dont get advertisements too in it. i think it is the best.do u know we can use DOS for ftp ? just type 'ftp' in command prompt and press enter, and then type 'help' in ftp> prompt that you get.

Few months ago I started using Filezille and I gotta say I love it. In addition to all it's greatness it is open source. :P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi buddy

There are lots of Free Open source FTP Clients are available over the net

have a look at these

1) WinSCP (winscp.sourceforge.net)

2) SmartFTp

3) JFTP (Java Version fo FTP)

WinSCR is having Norton commander , and Exploreer like look and Feel , with drag and drop option , plus SSH authentication support also.

Cheers

Arunkumar.H.G

:P, why use FTP anyways? I use SSH to maintain my site, is easier, because you don't have to do the "open-edit-save-upload routine" but a "open-edit-save-done routine", just mail the support to enable your SSH thingy and get putty (ssh client). On topic, best ftp manager for me is total commander, it's a file manager, decompression-tool too. Too bad it's shareware.

What do you think is the best FTP client?

I use SmartFTP and CuteFTP. Out of the two, CuteFTP is good. SmartFTP does not allow you to upload a whole folder.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I gave COREftp a try, but found it difficult to configure the connection information. When trying to connect with the client it would give me invalid login errors on some sites, but if I went to the site and used the same credentials I could log in with no problems. I am sure it's some configuration with the COREftp client, but I couldn't figure it out.

I saw the post for Firezilla, open source, I think I will have to try and find that one. Thanks for the suggestion.

I use WS_FTP LE, but as was said, they don't use that anymore. If you get desperate, usually hosting come with either an FTP client or a file manager that can do the same things. CuteFTP is good, but it's not free; same thing with WS_FTP Pro.