xisto Community
kc8yff

Best FTP Client

I use filezilla, its quick easy and most importantly free. The 'client' in windows for FTP is ok however it is of very limited functionality it does however have the big advantage of being a common environment with the rest of explorer. CuteFTP is a client i havn't used in a while so it might be great now although i just remember it being similar to filezilla and since filezilla is free i may as well use that.

I like FileZilla. Probably because that's the only one I know/use. I also use internet explorers built-in one, but it's kind of dumb and not powerful.The only problem I have with filezilla is that it's kind of hard to do more than one at once and there is more than i'd ever use on there, so it's sort of confusing. Other than that, it's fine though..But.... my spyware thingy did seem to find spyware on it...

i use cuteftp really useful for uploading and download from ftps. small program that does all the jobs. you can save your passwords and server addresses into the program and the next time you open it up you can log in a server in a few clicks! there is also favourite servers which is not yours that you can log into to download.

I find that WS_FTP is the best client to use. It's got a good layout and does what it needs to. I haven't tried many other clients, but I'm used to working with WS_FTP and so I'll stick with it. ;)

My question is...who do people like FTP clients in the first place?? I find them non user friendly and a huge hassle.  Don't you think it's easier to check a box and click "Edit" than to right click, click "Open With" and click notepad or something like that? Thank you, but im staying on the file manager for now.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't really understand exactly what you are asking... but I'll try to answer anyway.

Many web hosting services don't provide a web page file manager like Xisto's cPanel, and in some cases using an FTP client is your only option. Personally I'd prefer to use an FTP client to log in to my account anyway, don't know exactly why, I just prefer the interface. So this may be the case with many others as well, they just use FTP because they prefer it over the web based control panel.

The other problem you'll see with a web based control panel is when you try to upload large files. I know that in the past I have had troubles with certain web hosts when trying to upload a large file. Unless you have an incredibly fast internet connection, you will very oftenly get browser time out's... with an FTP client, you will never get this problem. I don't know if this is true with Xisto though, maybe their cPanel does not have the time out problem, I haven't tried any large files yet... but I know this can be a problem with some service's.

Well I hope this answers your question.

And oh, the client I like best is CuteFTP. No real good reason really other than the fact that this is the only client I have ever used. Back when I first used FTP I was reading a tutorial on how to use it, and three recommendations were given. I then headed over to KaZaA and did a search for all three of them. The only result that came up was CuteFTP, so I downloaded that one... only to find out it was not free software and I had to pay for the full version after my 30 day trial (or what ever it was, it was years ago now so I can't really remember). So anyway, it was the client I learnt how to FTP with, and I've used it ever since. Obviously my opinion is very much biased in this case, but I do have to say that CuteFTP is the best client.

I used a lot of FTP programs like smartFTP and cuteFTP. The one that works best for me is WS_FTP Pro. Of course that's only for me, different people judge things differently. :P

Does anybody know why FTP programs are referred to as "clients"? I have to admit that's not real clear to me. For what its worth, I've only used SmartFTP and it's worked pretty well for me so far.

it's because, as a lot of things in computerworld, they follow a client-server scenariothe ftp server offers you a service, namely: storage.to access a server, you need a program. he is a client to the server: he asks a service from the server (hey dude, will you store this; or: hey dude, gimme that file, will ya?) and the server helps him out.thats why it's called a client.just the same, you have a mailcient, a mysqlclient,... and for what it's worth, smartftp is probably the best free graphical ftp aroun :P i like it a lot.