xisto Community
The Simpleton

Would You Change Your Service Provider?

I got this idea while replying to another thread in this forum. I'm talking about number portability - this facility is already available in some countries, for some it is going to be introduced next year and in my country it's coming at the end of this year :) I'm eagerly waiting for it because I'm stuck with a Virgin mobile connection and the SIM/RUIM is locked to Huawei handsets only :o Hopefully number portability applies to Virgin too so I can get myself a sleek new handset soon.Anyway, according to some weird statistics, only 30% of all users would like to change their service providers given the chance. I was surprised to know this because a lot of people always seem to be grumbling about their providers and the only reason they stick to it is that they have a good number. But with number portability they have the chance to retain their number and change the provider. Well, what about you - would you change your service provider?

Ive changed a few times and locally i found Vodafone was about the best for value. Three is best value wireless broadband. Ive had the option to change numbers between providers when changing prepaid sims, but i only use mobile phones for business related calls or emergency calls. So it really doesn't worry me much.I spend a bit more on wireless broadband though, i guess the greedy telco's have me there.

Edited by inverse_bloom (see edit history)

Ive changed a few times and locally i found Vodafone was about the best for value. Three is best value wireless broadband. Ive had the option to change numbers between providers when changing prepaid sims, but i only use mobile phones for business related calls or emergency calls. So it really doesn't worry me much.

I'm using Vodafone right now and I don't know how the service is in Australia but here it is anything but good :) The call plans are all silly compared to the other networks and the signals are also not very strong. I'm thinking of switching to Indicom once the portability offer opens. I like the Re.1 per 10 minutes plan as it suits me perfectly. The signal quality also seems to be much better than the other networks.

Can someone give me some explanation about what this mobile number portability is? Is it still some kind of gsm?Sorry to say such silly question, but by the way you talking about it, it seems that we have a totally different kind of mobile phone here :)

No I would not change mine. Upgrade it yes but never change it. Believe it or not I am using Netzero wish is only Dialup in my area for now. But I have to say this. For a dialup connecting they give me the best service. in all the many years that I have used them I have yet to have any problems at all. I just wish that they would hurry up and move there DSL into my area. that is the one and only gripe that I have about it.

@ FouGilang's post -Mobile phone number portability is where you have a mobile phone with an existing number on a specific network such as Vodafone and you want to change networks to say the Three network, so you transfer your existing number from Vodafone to the Three network. What TS is saying in post 1, is he can't change networks on his existing mobile phone so he is locked in to Virgin.But soon he will be able to change networks because he "will" be able to transfer his existing mobile number to another network and sim, by unlocking his existing phone and account which wasn't possible till know.

Edited by inverse_bloom (see edit history)

I also switched my service provider many times. Be it internet service provider or mobile phone. I think i changed to vodafone, airtel, at&t and then spice. Too much i know sometimes but it was because of bad customer service from them. Also in india i have found out that some providers auto download some ringtones to your handsets and then charge for it. If not ringtones then they charge you for GPRS out of nothing. I think these are money making schemes than system failure.

I don't use my mobile phone a massive amount, but I switched from Vodafone to O2 a while back because Vodafone are rubbish. By the end I was so annoyed with them that I didn't even bother finding out if I could keep my number or anything - I just got a new SIM from O2 and things have been fine ever since. Given the option, if it was free, I might have transferred my number to my new SIM. However, if they would charge me I wouldn't see the point; I don't use my phone a lot and don't have too many people to tell if I change my number.

Yes YES YES! I would like to change our Internet Service Provider..TalkTalk are one of the most -|Insert-bad-words-used-in-bad-ways|- Service Providers ever made. Their support team are just pathetic. They ask you to do Speed tests etc, then when you ring them back (on same day) you say do another test..another test...it's stupid. Unfortunately our Router is not plugged up to the MAIN BT socket, which is making our Router speed rubbish and slow. :)

Why not. I'm eagerly waiting for number portability facility in India... I have two mobiles withe me and using Airtel number for 7 years, thats my primary number.. I changed my second number many times... mostly between Vodafone, BSNL and Idea. I dropped them due to their poor signal coverage in our area.. and recently switched to Tata Indicom as they introduced pay per call offer. Its really very nice service both in signal strength and pricing. So I would like to change my primary number to this service if number portability introduced. Changing to a new provider is very very cheap in our area... due to the heavy competition between operators they are selling SIM cards with life time validity for just Rs.2 to Rs.10. That is less than the cost of a normal chocolate. Almost all my friends have at least 4 numbers from different operators.. just using them like disposable numbers... :)

Quick points before one changes their provider1. Nothing comes for free , if your service provider is charging you too much , there must be some reason.2. Try getting some feedback of signal strength from existing users in your area.3. you can also try a new sim for few days before switching your provider.4. check connectivity at your home, work place and your route.5. Also consider roaming plans if you are a frequent traveller.Vodafone is costly but service is good in maharashtra.Idea is keeping Mumbain in Maharashtra region only, hence no roaming charges.Reliance is having best roaming plans and sms rates but customer care is pathetic.Airtel is known for activating services and charging their customer.

Dear friends I think number portability is a very useful facility which has been launched and on the first day itself thousands of them have changed their provider. I think I will not be changing my provider as I am satisfied with my provider. I am using BSNL and DOCOMO SIM and both of them I am using for different purposes. BSNL for making my calls and DOCOMO for GPRS services. That?s why I think I will not be changing my service providers any how.

Before changing my service provider, i asked few question to myself.1. Do i have good recharge plans2. Do i get connected with customer care in minutes3. Do Network works everywhere in my country.Tell me about your views.-syeds-

i never replaced my service provider, i just got another service provider too. i now have sim cards from 3 service provider, i never discarded my previous sim card when i bought a new one and this is mostly because their different features.my first service provider was good for sending sms and calling but when technology progressed a little i found that they do not provide many services like mms or 3g so i had to buy another simcard for those features but i didn't discard my previous sim card because their services (sms and call) were very low in price comparing to other providers in my location so i decided to keep my first one and get another one for using some other features like mms and 3g and another thing is that my first sim card is not prepaid and it is so reliable and when you don't pay your billings you will not loose your simcard and your number till 20 years which is a very unique feature so i will never discard it. but my second provider is prepaid and i will loose it after 6 month of no usage so not a very reliable one but it had those new features 3G and mms but after sometime my first provider started to giving 3G and mms but again prices of my second provider in this two feature was less so i kept both of them.just a year ago i found one of providers in my locations is giving very huge discounts on their sms service and their sim cards were really cheap so i decided to get one only for smsing with my friends and so i got one. i know use it only for sending sms , so i always changed my provider depending on their features and prices. using three phones and carrying them with you is really a hard thing to do but as i said i only use my first provider for calling so most of the times i only carry my first one with my self but some times i carry the third one too for sending some sms but i never carry my second one because i only use it for connecting to internet and sending mms which i do only in very rare situations. i always get my sim card and my cell phone separately and i never get those products which include a phone and a sim.

I would definitely change it, but the only thing that get me thinking is my number that I don't want to change it, because I don't want to let everyone know my number again it takes a lot of time, and there are always confusions, but on the other hand my current service provider is quite expensive compared to other providers in the market, so I'm trying to get a good plan on my current provider but if I can't then I'm going to have to change it.