xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
cangor

Lightweight Free Anti Virus Software?

Try Avira Antivirus Free.......It is the lightest among all free antiviruses. It'll use a very little amount of your RAM and processing power. Fast at startup. And its detection rate is also good. It is the best free antivirus...

Lightweight Free Virus ScannerLightweight Free Anti Virus Software?

Avira AntiVir Personal Free version is the best free antivirus program out there. Considered to be the top antivirus engine by most professionals and users.  AVG and Avast used to be good but have become very top heavy and do not pick up viruses as well as they used to.

Google Avira if you don't believe it

Virus protectionLightweight Free Anti Virus Software?

Hi cangor with an OS  as old are that I would not worry about virus protection because there will not be many if any viruses for it, so just don't worry. If you still want try

1. Anti vir https://www.avast.com/index

2. AVG http://www.avg.com/ww-en/free-antivirus-download

3. Avast https://www.avast.com/index

4. Comodo (also built in firewall) http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

5. Panda Cloud Anti Virus http://www.pandasecurity.com/usa/homeusers/solutions/free-antivirus/

Hope this helps. Not sure which ones will work on an OS as old as yours bit give them all a try, and they are all free and most of them have a pro version.

Keywords:

Kaspersky is definatly not lightweight. An excellent program it maybe, but not lightweight. If you have a medicore single core processor I wouldnt recommended using it if you require resources for other things.

Kaspersky is definatly not lightweight. An excellent program it maybe, but not lightweight. If you have a medicore single core processor I wouldnt recommended using it if you require resources for other things.

I have to agree with you on this. Kaspersky is not lightweight. and also we require to set it's no dialog confirmation. As it pops up when updated and when it wants something to be done(even if there is nothing like virus it catches,it gives popup). It is also bit strict about expired certificate sites. AVG WOT plugin was good than this.

I found that NOD32 and AVG are lightweight and worth to install on system. NOD32 is low on system resource and also catches virus silently without too much annoying the user. If not NOD32 then i'll pick either AVG, mcafee or kaspersky.

I heard that there are some good free antivirus as well. Like clamwin and superantivirus. You can try them as well. Also don't forget to install spybot search & destroy and malware bytes search & destroy.

Wait, you said your computer is 11 years old, right? 1998..... Hmmmm, that would be Windows 95 or 98. You said it was too slow with Norton, so I guess you can probably run another anitvirus...Try AVG. Not exactly wonderful. I've never fully trusted free Antiviruses in terms of quality, but it works. AVG barely took up any space on my computer when I used it as a temporary 2 week replacement to my old antivirus. It worked well. No problems, so I'd reccomend it.

I would recoomenfld avast or act both are light and also secure and you dot even they are running! Both are so free and feature frequent updates

I agree that norton or kaspersky would be slow on such machine, usually ESET advertise that their antivirus is lightweight, but I think for an old computer you need to use an older version to work normally, same as using a browser, new browsers work faster on new computers, so if you have an old computer you need to use older browser version as it doesn't take so much new resources and doesn't use new hardware technologies, but I guess it needs to be tested..I personally use Security Essentials and it's free and lightweight, doesn't annoy me and seems to work well, even though it's from Microsoft, but it's good. :P

Lightweight AntivirusLightweight Free Anti Virus Software?

Despite their claims, ESET NOD32 is not as lightweight as they would like us to believe. In fact I strongly advise people NOT to install it on a Netbook with an Atom CPU. Bootup times are quicker than AVG but once windows loads NOD32 starts an automatic startup scan that lasts very long and sees CPU utilisation soar to 68% for quite a while. Also, the service takes up 48-52Mb of RAM while idle - which is not exactly light either.

-reply by Adama

ILOVED avast until today.. when i spent over 5 hours trying to scan and detect 5 (yes FIVE) trojan horses while running avast.And the 5 avast found during scans.. it would not and could not delete.. repair NOR move to a chest. this also includes about 8 viruses it actually DID move to the chest.i finally had to reformat my whole computer.i found that running spybot WITH avast works fine.. .if you run them often (avast has a run each time i log into my computer as well as a full scan i run approx 1 x a month ... then i run spybot as oiften as possible)BUT our home PC did not have spybot.. hence.. NO trojan protection.i have been told to use AVG.. what do you all think ? is this better?i run a home business on my laptop and can not afford to lose all the info on it. I cant afford to wipe out its memory ...it happened before with mcaffe AND norton... both which i will NEVER use again...

Avira over AVGLightweight Free Anti Virus Software?

I had AVG for well over a year in my old Dell Optiplex GX-1 machine running XP (PII 284MHz - 384MB RAM). The program is great, but it demands too many resources in the background. I've since replaced it with Avira and it's much better. The only thing I do not like about Avira that I think could improve is the process to invite you to upgrade. I can't think of the name now because I'm not at my machine now, but I will post details later.

I considered Avast! but I changed my mind after fixing a friend's Dell 8300 that was infected with a worm (Worm.Win32.AutoRun.Hr) with Avast! installed. I ended up using the free rescue CD utility from Avira to clean it out, then I replaced Avast! with AVG Free and it worked better.

What really made me shy away from Avast! is that the machine got infected even with definitions updated daily via the default schedule. 

-reply by onemixdj

antivirusLightweight Free Anti Virus Software?

I reckon Malwarebytes would be a great choice as it takes up very little resoources and picks up many viruses that even Norton360 cannot.

on the other hand, Prevx 3.0 is also very lightweight and picks up many infections, but it isnt free.

I would recommend you to use the AVG free edition seeing as you have quite an old/slow system as requirements of AVG are relatively low. Best thing about AVG is the it is easy-to-use and lightweight! Most important of all, AVG have a very up-to-date virus database reducing the likelihood of you being a victim.