xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
cangor

Lightweight Free Anti Virus Software?

I have tested many free antivirus softwares and here is what i think about them as being light or heavy :1. AVG : if you care about being light then this is probably a nice choice, it doesn't eat a lot of ram and i saw it was using about 100mb of ram when it was scanning, and in normal function something between 30-50 mb but its speed of scanning isn't too high and is not very fast in other things too, and i get a virus when i was using and later i found that other antiviruses like Avira, Eset and many other were able to detect that virus two days earlier than AVG so if i had one of those i wouldn't get that virus. so it is light weight but not very fast and not very up to date but it is regularly updating and if you want a normal antivirus it will probably do the job, anyway remind that every antivirus that is good today may be worse tomorrow and this is why one year F-Secure is the best other year Avira, because their behavior changes in years but i don't think it is necessary to always search for the best one and change our antivirus month to month. 2. Avira : Check AV-Comparative website and you will see it always get ADV+ score in all fields but i found it a little more resources hungry than avg but by a little more resources usage you will get nearly double speed of AVG in scanning files, it updates will never let you down and always gets the latest virus definitions just in the right time. i found it the most usb friendly free antivirus as others were always having problem when i connect a flash drive full of viruses and most of them were really slow for detecting the viruses, but this one is just great (Eset is great in this case too) and doesn't slow down PC when you connect a flash drive which contains a lot of viruses. this is a great and free antivirus and i prefer this one over AVG because of its good results during the years.3. Avast : this is a nice one too, results are not as good as avira but it is i think something between AVG and Avira in both resources usage and performance and security, it is fast enough and detects most of viruses but sometimes it really stuck when wants to scan my flash drive and coputer hangs for 2 minutes or so, another thing is that when i wanted to uninstall that i found it very hard thing to do and it took me half a day to uninstall it because after a normal uninstall it seems to affect some registery keys which doesn't let you to install another antivirus so i had to use registery cleaners software to reach that goal but maybe it was related to my OS that this thing happened. so i have compared these three one, the important question i'm always asking myself is that those results we see in review websites are from free versions or premium ones, all of these free antiviruses come with a paid version too which seems to be more professional but i don't know that results we see in some websites like AV-Comparatives are for free ones or paid ones so maybe we should not rely on those results and test them ourselves.