xisto Community
MienTommy

Can A Dream Kill You? Can it?

Can a dream kill you?  

85 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I would say that in a sense it's possible. Think of it this way. A heart attack can be caused by a sudden scare or something very severe. This could happen as a result of something that happened in a dream.I know I, for example, sometimes wake up in the middle of the night due to a nightmare or whatever. This shows me that it is definitely possible to have something severe happen in a dream being that I actually remember it.Technically the dream itself wouldn't kill you, it'd be the heart beat or whatever that is caused from it.That's my view, :)

I think a dream can kill you like what random emo chick was talking about, if you are in a dream and die then stay conscious in heaven you will be fine,But since we don't know what happens straight after death if you die and then nothing( a non- conscientious, state of non-being) you will die in real life. If that makes sense to any of you.-reply by jordan

Not as described, but presumably if you have a bad heart, etc., you could panic from events in a dream and stress your heart and die. But no one would have the answer would they, because the people who had the dream that killed them were in fact - dead.Of course worrying about dream while driving down the street might distract you so much you have an accident and kill yourself.

interesting subject but what you wrote was very very vague. can a dream itself kill you? no. that is a fact. can something else kill you while you are dreaming? yes. this includes any heart attacks if having nightmares or sleepwalking in to your swimming pool or crossing a busy street etc....

nightmare on elm street was a movie that was a good example of how a dream could kill ya though. i've died in my dream and i'm still here haha

i doubt know where you are getting your scientific facts.....

There is a scientific fact that by your dream. Your dream can kill you. Do you think this is true or false? =]

i just went there because i always like to read interpretations of dreams and their meanings. i didn't find anything on there though on the topic if you can die from your dream.

again, my strong opinion is NO NO NO and would love to argue with anyone who disagrees with me.....

truefusion? where are you? :)

Try this Blog : She did bit search on analyzing Dreams.
http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Hope that helps : :)

There is a scientific fact that by your dream. Your dream can kill you. Do you think this is true or false? =]

how the hell can a dream kill you? maybe i interpreted the question wrong. i understood the question as when you dream you can die? is that how you meant it because the answer is obviously no.

i just went there because i always like to read interpretations of dreams and their meanings. i didn't find anything on there though on the topic if you can die from your dream.

That site is having links to some dream directories and interpretation blogs/directories/logs etc. So surfing around those sites can give you some idea about if dream can kill you or not.

What Sindhu found out so far is If you see your own face in a dream, it may mean you ready to look at yourself and see who you truly are. If something is wrong with your face, you may be having a hard time accepting something.

So as per dream logs or directories, if you see your death mean you're feeling or thinking about some uncomfortable event in future.

sorry. no it doesn't. like i said, i've been to the site and was a little bit of a waste of time. it's a nice blog site i guess but for researching, there are faster ways. if your so confident in your words, please do the research and post the proper link because i couldn't find it.

a better idea is to just google it if anyone is interested

That site is having links to some dream directories and interpretation blogs/directories/logs etc. So surfing around those sites can give you some idea about if dream can kill you or not.

if your so confident in your words, please do the research and post the proper link because i couldn't find it.

It's not about confidence or so. I'll try to post link that forwards to most of other resources related to dreams:
Dream Dictionary

I just did a query on Dreamstop : Here it is ,
Dream Entry

Dream can kill me?
Analysis

Yikes! Murder? Are you sure? This is a biggie, so bear with me. First of all, whether you killed someone or saw someone kill someone, having death be caused anywhere in the dream depends on who was killed. Basically, anger and resentment that you can't work out in real life may cause you to dream of murder. Fortunately, people can work it out while they're asleep and not while you're awake or we'd have to build a lot more prisons. So, if you killed someone you know, try to make peace with whatever hidden feelings you may have towards them. If you killed a STRANGER in your dream, this may be you trying to kill a part of your own behavior that you feel is self-destructive or shameful. Suicide is along the same lines, but a little more serious, especially if it's a reoccuring dream. You are most likely exploring how you perceive yourself and your value as a person. This signifies a deep rooted behaivior pattern that needs to be resolved. A comforting note-- Some analyists believe that because our society has been so desensitized to death, that we may dream of it for more trivial reasons. Still, lots to think about.

Edited by mahesh2k (see edit history)

Interesting. I've never heard of those "waking up before you actually die in a dream and therefore actually dying". I personally don't think dreams can kill you directly but maybe experiencing certain things in a dream can induce different emotions or something and triggering a health condition? Maybe. We might never know.I find the sleepwalking off a roof more believable though. And more likely.

No dreams cant kill you, its the very opposite really, not dreaming can kill you, like with sleep deprivation. We dream because thats our minds way of sorting out the days events,or trying to make some logic of the things that bother us that we cant cope with in waking. Dreaming is the minds own protection system, without it you would very quickly go mad, which is why through REM sleep we dream every single night, even if you dont remember it. We have too minds, one is our conscious mind (when we are awake) and then we have our subconscious mind, this is the one that silently yaks away to our conscious minds telling us when to worry and stuff, its this that does the dreaming, the only time we remember our dream is when they cross over into our conscious mind. like when we are only half asleep or just about to wake up.

Answer is yes!
It is not my opinion, but it is psychologically backed truth. A dream under certain circumstances can kill you. Sub-conscious mind, if in a state of subdued dipression can lead to traumatic disorders, which eventually start seriously affecting you while you are awake, they put you in mental traps which you can not come out easily, in this manner you start feeling too low and this step worsens just to force you to take drastic steps such as suicides.

All said, the novel "The Coma" is an explanation to similar condition. Only psychological implication of a dream can kill you, otherwise it will just be some natural death.

Well,technically a dream could kill someone.Depending on they'reage and/or health. If someone had a heart condition and woke up min an anxiety fitfrom a bad dream that just might be enough to tip the scale so to speak.

Umm, no, I don't think so. A 'dream' can kill you only if you are half-awake and half-asleep and in middle of that you get a heart attack or burglars break in and kill you or whatever bad thought comes into your mind OR you are a moonwalker and you leave the house and get killed by a vehicle (there was an Unsolved Mysteries episode as I remember with a case like this), get on the roof and fall down and also other bad scenarios that come into mind.

Other than that, except get really sweaty, you can't die in a dream :) 

Well there is an xkcd comic that just perfectly sums this whole debate up... so if you don't mind I think I'll share it with you:

Posted Image

A smart man once said - "There is an xkcd for everything."  :)