xisto Community
MienTommy

Can A Dream Kill You? Can it?

Can a dream kill you?  

85 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I don't think that it can kill you directly but there are some incidents of people sleep-walking and jumping off roofs etc. Also some dreams might bring back old memories that and might cause some people to commit suicide or something.

There is a scientific fact that by your dream. Your dream can kill you. Do you think this is true or false? =]

Well if this was a "scientific fact", then why would be be debating about whether it's true or false? Sounds like it's false to me...

I think that it is possible to die your sleep or by having a dream. When you dream the Limbic system that associates emotions with sensory information becomes very active. Which can cause or induce a stroke or heart failure. Also when you dream the functions that are associated with the left side of the brain become dormant. The left side controls language listening, reading, speaking and writing, thats why its impossible to read anything in our sleep. So we can only perceive so much in are dreams. So unless there not in a state of lucid dreaming and aren't aware of the dream (or nightmare) it can induce some kind panic and cause a biological trigger to release adrenaline into the blood stream and cause health problems. Possible? Yes but unlikely.

Edited by SolidShadow (see edit history)

There's no doubt that the mind is a very powerful instrument. We can cause positive things to happen in our lives and set ourselves up for negative things to happen - just by our attitude and the way we carry ourselves. Yes, people have died in their sleep, but it's unlikely due to a bad dream, unless they had a failing heart and they somehow scared themselves to death. But even that seems like a bit of a stretch.

I don't think a dream can just stop your heart; however, if you have a weak heart and your blood pressure rises too high because of a dream i suppose it's possible, but I don't think you would die because you were shot in your dream, I've fallen miles in my dreams before and I'm still here :P

I have heard that you can die in a dream. If you dream that your falling and you hit the ground before you wake up then you will die. Of course this is just what I heard, but yeah life is full of mysteries so yeah.

I have heard that you can die in a dream. If you dream that your falling and you hit the ground before you wake up then you will die. Of course this is just what I heard, but yeah life is full of mysteries so yeah.

I heard of that too. There was a movie about it. People have dreams that they are falling, and they wake just before the hit the ground. If they hit the ground before the wake up, they die. In the end, the guy hit the ground. It was a stupid movie. Although there was a guy in my town who dies in his sleep(A teenager), he just didnt wake up... Although, I dont think it has anything to do with a dream. People have heart attacks from over stimulation such as a fright or shock or something right? Can't you get the same over stimulation in a dream? I suppose it could be possible.. but personally I think it happens.

I do not believe that having a dream can kill you. The dream it self will not kill people, unless you are watching a Nightmare on Elm Street. I agree with many of the other posts, that sleeping walking could. However, maybe someone after having a dream could push them over the edge of their mental stability.

Lol I've dreamed that a couple times already, but usually it's part of an ongoing sequence of related dreams. I would hit the ground, but then I would somehow know it was a dream after that (since I could still think) and then say ok that dream wasn't good, and then wake up to make sure. It probably sounds hard to understand, but I'm telling the actual sequence of thoughts I went through, no matter how non entertaining.

No a dream cannot kill you,but have only those dreams which are possible and don't have the impossible dreams,So I think impossible dreams can kill someoneDreaming is allright but only dreaming doen't helps ,achieving those dreams is also important.

there is a phenomenon that happens my country, or in some south east asian countries, called bangungot which tells that people can actually die from dreams.

It happens when you have had too much to eat, especially foods that are hard to digest, and/or are too tired.

Either way, what happens is that your whole body becomes immobilized making it difficult for you to breathe.

It happened to me about three times already and when it did I found myself "screaming" Hail Marys and Our Fathers in my head.

There's a way to snap out of it though, that is to move one's fingers and slowly with a little bit of faith, it'll be over soon.

It's a scary thing really. Rar.