xisto Community
BoSZ

do you consider switching to linux?

do you consider switching to linux?  

72 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Also, if you're buying a new computer and opt for a Linux based one, you can save a lot on operating system costs! Over here the difference is around Rs.6000 - with that amount one could get a PS2 :)

blah blah blah. why would i want to run linux under windows? the whole point was to get away from ms. hahaha. i may try again if i'm feelin' froggy. the current version of linux though didn't give me the option of insalling on another partition which was strange.....but i was drinkin....that coulda been a factor :o

Also, if you're buying a new computer and opt for a Linux based one, you can save a lot on operating system costs! Over here the difference is around Rs.6000 - with that amount one could get a PS2 :)

Yes. I would switch like that. The only problem is ,is that there is specific softwarethat I use that won't run on Linux yet. All I can say, is that I won't buy another Windows operating system.My first one(Windows 98), I received for free. I then paid full price for Windows xp when it was released,and didn't imagine having to go through the ordeal of having to re-activate it so many timesas I did.What a task for something you've already paid for and is supposed to be yours.

blah blah blah. why would i want to run linux under windows? the whole point was to get away from ms. hahaha. i may try again if i'm feelin' froggy. the current version of linux though didn't give me the option of insalling on another partition which was strange.....but i was drinkin....that coulda been a factor biggrin.gif

well I said that only as a quick alternative to try Linux - not entirely switch to it. You said making a trial to switch again would take a while so in the meantime you could use it in Windows; that's what I said :)

I do not know so far not moved to Linux, but in future would be moved to as Linux works far far more professional than XP and is completely free with full technical support and all drivers lunuks are free, but also very small number of viruses, and almost no</span>

Linux is fun. Does everything Windows can do through another route. If you don't want to know how your computer works, nearly all distros being used today are as easy as Windows, if u can call "My Computer" "Filesystem" and "My Home" "Home." For the unique people like me, snatch that commandline it's still there - you can do more to your file than open - don't forget to pipe!

I chose to switch to Linux in 2003 it has been a long road since then. Linux has become somewhat softer on newbies but the truth is you still need to be willing to sacrifice time to troubleshoot issues in Linux. Never give up it pays off in the end. I don't recommend Linux for everyone but there has been times i have installed it on a newbies laptop since he got tired of all the virus's and all he wanted to do is surf the Internet and edit office documents.It's also easier to install Linux since it automatically picks up drivers, whereas windows you have to go search/ download hardware drivers. So now it's just a matter of installing linux and then windows in vbox , skip the whole driver install process ;-)Linux is definitely growing especially since the Vista disaster and i am glad to see this poll shows that most people here are already use it.

Linux offers truly viable and competitive alternatives to Windows now... It has hasn't always catered for the masses, but silently it has closed the gap.Given the internet is linux based, and every url is a small piece of command line, the transition may be easier than most consider. Many of its advantages have been stated here already, so at a minimum everyone should give it a go - even in a duel boot environment.It is unlikely that microsoft will continue its dominance ad infinitum...

I used to use Linux a lot in the past, but for several years now, I don't even have it installed as dual boot, nor in a virtual machine. For some weeks now I'm using Windows7 with which I'm quite satisfied, as I usually just need free/open source software, which windows has a lot, everything seems to be ok and I just don't bother to use Linux anymore as I used to, everything in my work is with windows, so dual booting is also is annoying, especially when I got my laptop and usually just put windows to sleep.Even though my brother continues to use Linux, he never needed to move to windows, I started to use Windows just because of my studies, which required it and I just used it less and less. Another thing, that in university you get windows for free, also when I bought my laptop, I needed to pay for windows, they didn't want to sell it for me with linux, even if I already had it, oh well. :P

I became a Linux user after pretty much being forced to. Here's the story of how I pretty much was forced to:http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/2000111-pc-tech-support/55556859

I re-became a Linux user about a month ago, stayed with it 2 weeks, and had to drop back to Microsoft. Sadly things like Adobe/Visual Studio don't work on Linux, nor do any of the games I play.I'd dual boot but I'd be doing all my developing/gaming on Windows so it's really a waste.I wish Adobe would support Linux -- I could live with using Linux for the application developing.