xisto Community
BoSZ

do you consider switching to linux?

do you consider switching to linux?  

72 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I considered installing Linux, and I actually did. KDE looks great and it's easy to use (for some reason Konqueror crashed all time time when I started searching files).But when it comes to installing new software for Linux and upgrading your old software, it's so complicated. Of course, there's RPM, DPKG (I hope I wrote it correctly), and god knows what, but there're so many packages, that's simple overkill for me. And most of the software packages have to be compiled. And after installing your self-compiled software it's hard to keep track of the libraries, config files, and binaries in order to delete them oneday in case I don't want that software anymore.You have to pay attention to dependencies. I know there's debian with apt-get, but the installed software isn't cutting-edge. It's old, and there're features I want but aren't in the stable version yet. And you can't expect a beginner to use Debian.

I am using linux for almost 6 years already. Nowdays I am using gentoo but I started with debian, the thing with linux is that you must read allot of manpages if your stuck learn how to setup an /opt directory where you install optional apps is also a good idea, since in that way it is easy to uninstall optional stuff you dont use any more.Also installing stuff is easy in most distro's you can use redhats-rpm files debian-apt or gentoos-emerge if you know how to work with that installing and removing software is easy as hell. Sometimes a package you want is not in the installers tree so you need to compile it yourself:./configure --prefix blablamake sudo make install Easy as hell and your incontroll of the os :rolleyes:

Hi!Linux is nice but I like Unix more.I don't know why but I'm simply inlove with BSD.I use FreeBSD with Gnome as my Desktop system (mostly for my parents) and NetBSD with IceWM as my, hmm, everyday system.I also have RedHat and WindowsME installed on my laptop.Oh, someone mentioned viruses.Hmm...It's really hard to create a virus for unix/linux since everything comes in source.Why NetBSD?Well, becase it's so small (around 300Mb with additional software installed) and easy to use (don't know, I just feel that way).I have total control over my system unlike in windows.I know exactly what programs are running and can kill any process i want with no problems such as 5min waiting then popup window asking are you sure blabla then if I get lucky I don't get to see blue screen.Next.I have everything!From compilers, servers to image and text processors.All for free! No viruses. no spyware, no crashing, everything is just beautiful.It's probably hard for unix/linux beginners to just switch from windows to the true os but after a while you will be glad you did it.Windows does everything automaticly (installing,...) but here you have to do almoast everything manualy and this is the beauty of it.You get to know the system and your computer, how it works, how it does what and why it does it. By every step/thing/callITwhatYOUwant you make in unix you learn something new, you are enriched with new experience and this is what truely matters.Some of you may think I am crazy, but those who run *nix systems know what I'm talking about.Life free or die!

I will switch to linux once WINE supports Photoshop CS, Flash MX ,Dreamweaver and ProEngineer. Whats the point of switching to a free, faster and more stable OS if I cant get any of my work done? I know there are freeware alternatives to these programs, but I am already comfortable using these ones.

I will switch to linux once WINE supports Photoshop CS, Flash MX ,Dreamweaver and ProEngineer.  Whats the point of switching to a free, faster and more stable OS if I cant get any of my work done?  I know there are freeware alternatives to these programs, but I am already comfortable using these ones.

True if you are comfortable using these packages it is hard to switch but overall linux comes with great software to and not only opensource stuff:
Quanta, for websites (free)
Gimp+GAP, for images and animated gifs/movies (free)
Maya, pro 3d design (non-free)
Acad, pro 2-3d technical design like autocad (non-free)

The only thing I could never find was a good flash editor for it if anyone knows a good one please keep me in mind :rolleyes:

The only thing I could never find was a god flash editor for it if anyone knows a good one please keep me in mind  :rolleyes:

unfortunetally there is only one good flash editor which is obviously macromiedia flash.

My friend uses Flash under linux though (thru WINE)

I might not completely switch to linux, but I will definitely try it.Actually one of my friends told me this issue about no flash editor under linux. Although it's possible to use Macromedia Flash on linux through some Windows emulators, it's a little bit unsafe as well since those emulators can also emulate Windows virii which is certainly not a good thing. :rolleyes:

I would switch to linux if there were more games being ported to linux. Now the only one ive heard about is ut2004 which isnt enough. I heard its the best enviroment to learn good programming (which i am trying to learn). And some stuff looks really cool (i saw a 3d desktop for linux which looked spectacular). But I am not willing to dual-boot my system for that. I do use firefox, openoffice and lots of other opensource stuff because its better/free.

Well all of this programs (Photoshop 7, Dreamweawer, Flash, MS Office ETC) can work with linuh, but i don't see the point. 1. Gimp is as good as photosho so if I am clasic windows user I would still use gimp instead of Photoshop.2. Open office is doing evry job done for me and I dont need enything better.3. Mozila Composer, NVU, Quanta and Blue fish are alsow good for web editing, but I cant say that they are better than Dreamweaver yuo have to know something to use Quanta and Bluefish, but there are nvu and mozilla that are almost like Dreamweaver4. Of course flash is only stuf on linux that isn't worked yet so you rely need to emulate it through cross-over-office. There are no aplications on linux that can beet flash, I am sad to say that :angry: I have seen some viruses just play with mouse sound, and keyboard, turn monitor to blink, just show me some virus than can do that on gnome or kde and I will eat my monitor. :rolleyes:

Its true that linux may seem a bit disappointing at the beginning, especially if you have got old distributions. I'm using Fedora Core for several years now, it is really faster, more secure but not virus proof at all.It depends on what you call a virus : of course you can control unix viruses accessing your system, but not your datas. And there are networks failures under linux, especially with NFS.

(Linux is a flavor of UNIX, for those who don't know).

Windows is a badly twisted version of UNIX for all those who don't know. UNIX is the mother of most Operating System. The only non-UNIX based OS I've seen is SkyOS.

xboxrulz