xisto Community
BoSZ

do you consider switching to linux?

do you consider switching to linux?  

72 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

wutcha talkin about.... I can do 90% of my stuff on Linux. The 10% is gaming and making flash.
xboxrulz

what are you talking about..... I can do 99% of my stuff on both linux and unix. The 1% is making flash (there are some alpha projects but they dont work well yet) :)

Yes i agree with you :)

Overal there are some nice games for linux and unix to (without the use of wine(X) ) and I mean real cool things like the well known vegastrike.
There are shooters, cardgames, rpgs, sim games and so on. If you like games there is allot to do on linux
You could try to run win only games with wine(X) if you really want to play them. But there is allot tho choose from @ http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ :D

I mean why do people allways say (or think) that linux is ' oldschool' and has no fun stuff on it only a consolle and that you have to type every command? (Oke I myself use the consolle allot but thats my choise). I have more fun usinf *nix than I had in the erm... 2 - 3 years I used windows. :D.

I would switch to linux if there were more games being ported to linux. Now the only one ive heard about is ut2004 which isnt enough.

have a look at Cedega WineX at Transgaming [https://www.transgaming.com/]. I hope that removes the feeling from your mind that there are not enough games for linux.

As for everything else, there are always alternatives. CodeWeavers provide CrossOffice, which allows running of Microsoft Office Suites.

Also have a look at this http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

I would chose to use linux only if I wanted to be able to smoothly run like a Mac but the working systems of a PC. Though all I have to say to most linux users is...IT'S CALLED A MOUSE!!ok Im done :)

Linux is easy to use. Especially for Mac users because you already know how the folder hierarchy works. / is the root folder, /home is the home folder and etc. Plus, GUI like KDE makes it look and feel like ur runnin Windows.Also, Linux runs smoother and stabiler than Macs. The framebuffer on Linux is faster therefore, running apps that aren't native would run very fast. Just look at Wine when you're not loading a heavy duty software (especially games).Linux is definately a good choice as an OS.xboxrulz

Yesterday i tried some software for watching TV with my tv card. It's name is Borg. (a.k.a. "you will be asimilated..." and so on... i try it for few minutes... and then whoooops - blue screen! in windows xp! i've never seen it before ever... So, I've cooled down, slightly put my finger on reset button, and pressed it. Ok it boots now. but what the f. is this now? again windows notifys me to check the disks for errors... ok so i'm waiting while damn win. is checking disks... so, windows finds some errors and repair them... Login screen comes up, I click my user name, inputed my password, and whoila! no icons, no my documents, no data, no NOTHING!. Damn, "smart" windows somekindofstupidrecovery wipes out my whole account. Ok, im not pissed off jet... Im rebooting again, and again... nothing. still the same... so finaly im recoverying my disk with some undelete software, and again nothing.. few minutes later i found my files and data from desktop in hidden system folder on c:\found.000. Yes! my data is back again... but then like the storm from the blue sky, it happens again - blue screen.. rebooting. again few seconds after login, blue scr. now some different error type... so im again in endless loop... After few hours, in 3:30 am i've discovered that my memory freq. is set too high and i've put it down on 266mhz. (how did it work before dunno...)... but still getting that blue screens, and winexplorer shuts down ever 6 secunds... im suspecting for a virus now in later installed program (borg tv)... Scanning whole discs... Nothing found. Ok. Im pisssed now. Formating disc. Installing windows. Getting some copy errors while installing...?? Im kicking my head on the wall, and thinking - maybe it's because of sp2??... hm.. using old win2k cd with only sp1 on it.. getting the same copy errors but different files while installing... Ok. Formatting disc again. And again... And after 3 disc formats... finaly windows was able to comply and install properly... So you ask do I consider switching to linux?DAMN YES.I've got Fedora Core 2, and tomorow I'll go out and buy an DVD reader/writter and install it... and fancy windows will go on second disc, just for backup needs... :D:D:D

that is true. Five days ago my Windows MBR got busted. Then, I use my Win 98 bootup disc and typed in fdisk /mbr. It usually works but noo, it was the Windows XP being gay and destroyed their loading screen. That got me pissed. I had to reinstall it. Overwriting all my games and saved files. Good thing I got a backup HDD with all my Docs in it :D! I was so pissed; I feel like marching into Microsoft and excecute whoever wrote the kernel for Windows XP!Windows XP - Second worst Windows ever!!xboxrulz

I don't see myself switching to Linux for the foreseeable future, as all my work are done using Mac and Windows. There are so few apps that run on Linux I don't see any practical value in it for me. Besides you have to learn the OS from scratch again and time is a very expensive commodity to invest in such an unpractical endeavor.

Linux doesn't take along time to get used to. I got used to it in less than a month; it's that easy. I learned how to install in 1 hour and how to fix Linux and use the vi editor within 2 months. It took me 3 months to learn Linux, compared to 6 months for getting use to Windows. Plus, right now, I'm still trying to figure out, how to fix Windows w/ Business setup.Linux has tonnes of apps that are useful, if not, it's not available to Windows. For Flash, you can use CrossOver Office to do that. For java building, you can use Eclipse. For Turing, just use CrossOver Office!Linux is one of the most apps that does almost all the work you need to work on! Plus, it rarely crashes!xboxrulz

Yes, infact today I have been downloading linux, as I plan to run it on th system that I am currently building. I really dont like windows, but everything works with it - thats why I dont use a MAC. But some released of linux seem really good! So yes, I do plan to upgrade, but alongside windows so I can run all of my current software!