xisto Community
rovertos

Video Games Are A Complete Waste Of Time, Face It!

Thats what alot of close minded people say. How do u know for a fact that these gamers are not doing physical fitness? How do you know they are obese? Even if it was 100% true what you say, does it really matter what you say? You arent there to help out these people who play video games in any way so why do u immediately think your opiion matters.It is biased and obiviously in your favor mainly because you do not like video games. Games are a form of interactive entertainment that is designed to give enjoyment. Is it so bad that us gamers want to have "fun". Wheither we socialize or not has nothin tto do with you. Our lives are ours, not yours. We could care less about your biased opinion.

No infact, they are not. They are a complete waste of time, and you do not get anything out of them. They are one of the main causes of obesity in america, as a lot of kids do nothing but sit on their buts all day and play them, getting no excercize, and no vitamin d from the sun. The are in no way essential. I do not play video games, and I refuse to jump on that bandwagin. And besides, why would you refuse to socialize, when you can o out with friends, go play in the sun, and play a good game... oh say... tennis?

So you are not proving a point in anyway, you are only proving ignorance in a broad manner.

@smack:

So everything is a waste of time? YOur mother raising you was a complete waste of time? next time try to be a tad more acurate, mmkay?

And no sports are not a complete waste of time. As a human, you do need excercize, and just because you're not an athlete doesn't make it a waste of time. You have to go outside SOMETIME and do something... and I HATE joggin distances, so I choose to play tennis. And some people play sports and make money from it... Is making money a complete waste of time?

At SgtStrungOut:

Awwwwe, did i hurt your feelings?

Well, if we are going to use this forum by your rules and sence of logic (which at this point i am questioning) than I am going to say, "Say all you want, but I don't care."

I never said that ALL gamers are obese. Take a look at Saint_Michael, for example. He plays them but he is in the millitary, so i'm gonna guess he is in decent shape.

Honestly, I am going to tell you right here and right now that this is a PUBLIC forum and you will get people's opinions. So now you are just being a complete hypocrite by voicing your own while telling me to keep quite, and i don't think that is all to fair.

And I am just voicing a fact here: video games are a leading cause of obesity in america not an opion. I never said, "All of you gamers are rediculous and lazy and overwieght." And I have better things to do with my time than play video games, and If that is what i say than you will just have to put up with it and get over it.

Besides. I have a really close friend who plays video games, and he is a freshman on varsity tennis.

And I guess it doesn't really matter what i say. i mean- come on. Nobody is going to take me seriously untill I'm over the age of 25 and have a job. Sheesh.

And your opinion seems to be just as biased as mine seems to be... well okay more, because mine was barely biased. (I'm not going to say not biased at all because it was slightly :P) ANYWAYS...

And yes, your life is yours, all I am tryingf to say is that it isnt very healthy to sit on your behind all day and do nothing else.

Oh and one more thing: DON'T TWIST AND TURN MY WORDS TO MAKE ME LOOK LIKE A COMPLETE *BLEEP*!

I said I belive... not I know.

And here is a verbal warning: Do not be rude to me, or any other forum member (especially my homies lol) or you will be banned. I will see to it if this happens again.

And try not to be so up in my grillz dawg. YOUU CANN NOOT SPEEL!

Well, quite a lot of biased views here and quite a few good ones. :|Well, video games are simply NOT a waste of time. While addiction to gaming is, though. I mean, video games are for entertainment and can be very well taken as a hobby. Collecting coins might be a waste of time for some, collecting stamps might be a waste of time for some, collecting might be a waste of time, space and money for some, but it just depends on the individual. As long as it's a good hobby which makes the person happy, I don't think it's a waste of time at all. I have a friend who really loves to show off his game collections and his scores and the awesome screenshots he gets! And at the same time he is one of the top rankers in the entire state when it comes to academics, good in sports but he's not interested to join up a team and is fit, or rather anorexic according to my standards :D and good looking too. Almost all girls here get weak in their knees after seeing him. Gaming is a hobby for him and he enjoys it. :PI know couple of kids from the neighborhood who just spend their entire money on gaming in cafes and bunk school and college too for gaming while they're getting nowhere with it. That is bad, pointless addiction to gaming is bad and I agree. They're wasting the most precious moments of their lives. But it's kinda surprising that most of them aren't still obese or whatever. Not only gaming, long-term TV viewing can cause severe health issues too with gaming.And on the other hand, gaming is soon becoming almost like a profession. Or rather a part-time job. We have LP clan wars here and then the WCG and other local things are really taking interest in gaming to a next level. Gaming might just become a profession for some in a while and you can't call it useless then. Though yes, I agree it's kinda weird to have gaming as a profession as in the end it's not doing good to society. I mean yeah play games and earn money but what are you giving back anyways? But, you won't really be calling it a "waste of time" if it did become a profession.In the end I would like to say. It really depends on the individual. I was hooked onto gaming from 1st grade all the way to 8th. Then in 9th, 10th and now in 11th, I don't really get into the mood or rather have much interest in gaming for some unknown reason and my life hasn't changed a bit since then. I was the same guy then and I am the same guy now. I have found better hobbies and interests maybe.

Video games may be a waste of time if you are supposed to be doing homework or some other kind of work and you are procrastinating instead. But if you have nothing to do or don't want to watch television it can be a good source of entertainment. You can't always be working or reading or working your mind to pieces you need to take a break every once in a while. Maybe I say that to justify why I play video games. I don't play them all that often unless I rent a new game from Blockbuster. I have noticed that they have tried to get adults into liking video games more by coming out with more educational games like sudoku on a hand held system an what not.

Actually studies have been done, and people that play a lot of video games have better reaction time, and hand-eye coordination. Studies don't lie :P. However, I'd rather be doing sports, as studies have been done that those in school or team related activities help you have better social skills, grades, and dedication. So ya, if you have absolutely nothing to do, maybe video games can help you out just a tad.

DUDE!!! HOW COULD YOU SAY SUCH A THING!!! :D:) Video Games are NOT a waste of time... if i stopped playing video games like XBOX i would just sleep around all day and life would be VERY boringlike nol said, there has been studies and it does help you. i have about 20 xbox games and they all require some sort of knowlage to play them and alot of coordination and Brain Power :P and i do learn stuff from them to like how to get away from the police :D:P you should never stop playing video games as i think it is a part of life

OH EMMM GEE PEOPLES!!!

Okay, first of all, video games are not the only thing that builds mind power and hand i cordination. IN MY OPINION i think sports and musical instruments do a better job at it :D especially since you can ACTUALLY APPLY THEM!

And I guess you guys don't realize how unhealthy they can be! I mean, the mess up your eyesight, give you carpo tunnels, and not to mention the "One more level pleaseee" syndrome.

Pluss how many video games can you ACTUALLY relate to real life? Exactaly. There arent to many of them.

They are stupid and a complete waste of time and you need to get over it!

And @ benkids, what does that have to say about your life? That it is boring and uneventfull? This is what you and SgtStrungOut sond like to me:

"Girls? Social life? no thankyou, I've got me a video game!" :P

i agree that video games are a waste of times, mostly. I play some just to relax myself after school or sports, but I also think that there are several educative games which totally arent a waste of time and even worth 'playing'

And I guess you guys don't realize how unhealthy they can be! I mean, the mess up your eyesight, give you carpo tunnels, and not to mention the "One more level pleaseee" syndrome.

Stupid generalizations, pfft!
If you read my post, that friend of mine has absolutely no dark circles. And from like maybe, 1st grade I am on my PC for an average of 4 hours daily with sometimes exceeding to 24 hours during holidays. And my eyes are in top-condition with absolutely no problem in them and I don't even have spectacles or lenses, my eye-sight is pretty good if not better than most of my friends who hate computers/video games all together. Yes, I have dark circles but which insomniac doesn't? :P

And not every person who plays an instrument gets in a band or gets money or any kind of thing with it. Win a school talent hunt or a local gaming championship. It might just be the same at ground zero. It's all skills.

All entertainment is a complete waste of time. When you could do something productive like working, you're having fun and doing something that's not promoting and supporting your country, or even better yet, humanity. Posting here is a complete waste of time as well. You could be outside, focusing on a small world expressing your opinions in a medium which won't matter nor will your friends care about especially when it comes to political ideas. Anything that can be considered a complete waste of time. Speaking from a completely philosophical point of view, it makes no difference if you sit on your butt and play Halo for all your years or go out with a lady and spend money on a marraige several years later. In approximately 75 years after your birth you'll still die in a rather pointless cycle of existence. Whether you die happy or not is up to you and your interests.I feel the video games are probably the best of all entertainment mediums, because they're actually interactive and invite the person to participate. In the case of RTS you can play a game which stresses you to actually think (which I know for many people, can be very hard), and FPS games might help advance your reflexes. Heck, video games are said to improve vision.There is one genre which I feel would be of no help to you and that is RPGs. They take no real amount of skill to play and wouldn't enhance either your mind or reflexes since everything is based on a random number generator, and not actual skill. Take the pokemon games for example - when you battle pokemon it's all predetermined for you pretty much - whatever strategy you choose you will win or lose based on a few numbers and luck. When I play Barren Realms Elite I only get this feeling when I battle the pirates. Other than that I feel that I could win any situation by playing my cards right.

i agree and i dont agree at the same time...what if ur like somewere really boring, no girls, no fun, no anything... your obviosly going to want to play some video games :P but on the other hand, we should spend less time playing video games and more time flirting. no questions asked, lmaoQuote:All entertainment is a complete waste of time. When you could do something productive like working, you're having fun and doing something that's not promoting and supporting your country, or even better yet, humanity. Posting here is a complete waste of time as well. You could be outside, focusing on a small world expressing your opinions in a medium which won't matter nor will your friends care about especially when it comes to political ideas. Anything that can be considered a complete waste of time. Speaking from a completely philosophical point of view, it makes no difference if you sit on your butt and play Halo for all your years or go out with a lady and spend money on a marraige several years later. In approximately 75 years after your birth you'll still die in a rather pointless cycle of existence. Whether you die happy or not is up to you and your interests.I feel the video games are probably the best of all entertainment mediums, because they're actually interactive and invite the person to participate. In the case of RTS you can play a game which stresses you to actually think (which I know for many people, can be very hard), and FPS games might help advance your reflexes. Heck, video games are said to improve vision.There is one genre which I feel would be of no help to you and that is RPGs. They take no real amount of skill to play and wouldn't enhance either your mind or reflexes since everything is based on a random number generator, and not actual skill. Take the pokemon games for example - when you battle pokemon it's all predetermined for you pretty much - whatever strategy you choose you will win or lose based on a few numbers and luck. When I play Barren Realms Elite I only get this feeling when I battle the pirates. Other than that I feel that I could win any situation by playing my cards right.no man, JUST NO. how could you say that?!?!

Edited by joecool2 (see edit history)

C'mon face it, video games are a complete waste of your time! Every time you turn on your console you should be asking yourself "Is there something better I should be doing with my time... like reading a good book... or watching a good movie... or flirting with a beautiful girl? Do I get anything out of this, does this make me a better person?"

hmm you must lose alot :P but i play video games enoyment when i have
nothing else to do..its like my anti-drug i dont usually play them that much though

I wouldnt say video games are a complete waste of time. Come to think of it...you are on your PC and you've been typing codes upon codes of HTML or you are doing this 3D animation design and all of a sudden, you feel as if nothing is going in or coming out of your brain any more. Then you dont wanna leave your PC for tha fact that you wanna continue with your job.So, what do you do? You launch one game and start playing to free your mind and brain. By the time you've played this game for...say...30mins and then go back to your work, everything will be fine from then and your assimilation is back to normal.This is the way it works for me. I dont know about others though but I strongly believe taht Video Games are cool.

I notice you said wouldn't you rather read a good book or watch a good movie.Both of these things are more or less the same thing as video games. Pointless waste of life (which is in my opinion totaly F******* pointless anyway)So are you going to sit play video games entertain yourself or are you going to bore the living s*** out of yourself by read a book?Video games such as fire emblem also develop strategic skills, if you were an army general. It is basically a warm up excercise. It's the same thing except peopel don't die.Some people argue that books expand the mind and blah blah blah. No they don't unless you read incredibly boring stuff that noone besides yourself cares about. ie Some book on newtons laws of motion or some s***.

There is no way you can say video games are a waste of time. I get your point about some people playing them to much and i agree. However, if you are like me and are always very very busy. Every once in a while it is nice to just zone out, not need to really think, and just relax. Playing video games does this for me. It allows me to just relax and not think which is what i need.