xisto Community
rovertos

Video Games Are A Complete Waste Of Time, Face It!

Games drives the modern world. Video games triggers your brain to think critically. It is a way to train your strategic part of the brain without something boring like chess. Video game is now essential for kids and teenagers.
Face it, if you take away your son's XBOX forever after he played it for 2 months (especially HALO 2), he'll melt or even take away his internet and all that stuff.

Side note: it also depends on his interests.

xboxrulz

Well, I'm a big Final Fantasy fan. But I gotta say, books work the brain more, and games do really waste time...

Video games isn't a waste of time, it helps people relieve their stress. Video games entertain us and there's nothing wrong with that. Reading a book is fine, and yes, it helps your brain and stuff, but sometimes you just can't help yourself but to wonder what it's really like to be in the book...erm...yeah...

Video games are a waste of time - there are better ways to relieve stress. Now, they're not completely awful, and it's fun to play games for a little while or just when you hate mankind so much you don't want to talk to eveyone, but when you start not going out because of games or you play hours of games each day, THEN they're a waste.

Yep video games are a waste of time. Yet so are movies, puppies, and sports.Everything is a complete waste of time.Unless you value your experiences you gained from doing something or the entertainment gained. I do.

Most of us would probably go crazy if we did not have at least one "time waster" in our lives. We need to relieve stress, entertain ourselves, et cetera. Most video games are meant to be fun. I don't play Sim City 2000 (a classic! hehe) because I want to be a city planner or SIM designer someday. There's no "practical" reason to play: I just enjoy some video games.You (original poster) don't necessarily use video games as your primary outlet (or time waster, if you will). That's fine. You probably do other things that are just as unproductive as playing a game. I doubt that every single moment of your day is filled with nothing but productive activities. We're all different people with our own tastes, so we all have our own hobbies and such.So: yeah, gaming is a waste of time. But it's *much* less harmful than some of the other outlets that some people choose (out-of-control gambling or drinking are just a couple of examples that come to my mind). Gamers could be doing much worse things than playing Grand Theft Auto III or America's Army. ;)

They really are a waste, but it love it when kids say things like, "GTA teaches me how to shoot people and I need to know that if I'm going to be in the Army." Like videogames actually help. But we play them for pure entertainment, just like a variety of other things. It seems like the more time someone sends playing videogames, the fatter and dumber they are.

Video games can be a total waste of time, but they can help you. Take sodoku for example, you can spend a whole hour trying to do it but you won't get bored and you're learning (well maybe not). Also the army they make yo play games like Ghost Recon or something, that teaches you strategy and co-ordination. Also RTS games like command and conquer or supreme commander will help you into thinking about strategies notice the 's' not strategy but strategies, because the old' rush tactic might not work or the hit 'n run tactic will work. Games can help but some games (like GTA) are just violent and are on the edge of getting banned

That's true... I wouldn't play sudoku on computer - it's kinda meant to be someting you do on paper... computers can screw up your body, too - hurt your eyes, give you carpal tunnel, so...

C'mon face it, video games are a complete waste of your time! Every time you turn on your console you should be asking yourself "Is there something better I should be doing with my time... like reading a good book... or watching a good movie... or flirting with a beautiful girl? Do I get anything out of this, does this make me a better person?"

Thats one of the most biased opinions ever. Are you insinuating us gamers don't do anything you listed above? Plus, what others do with their own time is their own business. If us gamers are OK with playing games then why should we feel bad? Its a hobby and has nothing to do with our personal life. Just because we play video games does not make us "losers that arent good people". I see gaming as a way to have fun, not waste time. Even if it was a waste of time, then why waste YOUR time bashing the ones who actually enjoy it? Gaming, books, movies and flirting are not bad by all means, but they truly are each specific individuals own interests. Maybe next time you attempt to put people down ask yourself "Do I get anything out of this, does this make me a better person?". Hey, you said it, not me. Good words you used, but wrong sentence to place them in buddy.

Games drives the modern world. Video games triggers your brain to think critically. It is a way to train your strategic part of the brain without something boring like chess. Video game is now essential for kids and teenagers.

No infact, they are not. They are a complete waste of time, and you do not get anything out of them. They are one of the main causes of obesity in america, as a lot of kids do nothing but sit on their buts all day and play them, getting no excercize, and no vitamin d from the sun. The are in no way essential. I do not play video games, and I refuse to jump on that bandwagin. And besides, why would you refuse to socialize, when you can o out with friends, go play in the sun, and play a good game... oh say... tennis?

So you are not proving a point in anyway, you are only proving ignorance in a broad manner.

@smack:

So everything is a waste of time? YOur mother raising you was a complete waste of time? next time try to be a tad more acurate, mmkay?

And no sports are not a complete waste of time. As a human, you do need excercize, and just because you're not an athlete doesn't make it a waste of time. You have to go outside SOMETIME and do something... and I HATE joggin distances, so I choose to play tennis. And some people play sports and make money from it... Is making money a complete waste of time?

Playing video game's isn't really considered a waste of time, I mean its way better than taking up probably a drug out of boredom but this isn't the case here, it all depends on how you regulate your time. If you stay inside all day and try to avoid friends and family then you can say you have become addicted but not all gamers aren't healthy as you say as some actually have the will power to keep their personal life afloat regardless how good that MMO is.

I kind of disagree a little about video games being a complete waste of time. I feel that video games are made for entertainment, just like books, TV, and movies. If you sat down and watched a good movie, or read a book, you could be doing other things as well. Watching a movie or read to me is no different than playing a video game. Some games actually do cause you to use your head rather tha have a mind numbing "push the A button" sense. It can also bring you into the world of the game and 'highten' your senses to your surroundings (in the game of course). A movie you simple sit and watch and simply take in the information just as you do in a video game but less interactive. As for a book, yes I have to admit that books do seem more productive in the fact that it can help you with your education with comprehension and speed reading. But as I have stated before, all these things were made for your entertainment, at least in this day in age it is. I do play video games and I enjoy them. I am not saying that I spend 5 hours a day on them and burn the whole day away, but I do play them quite a lot. I feel that anything you do in hefty amounts of time isn't good for you. I do study for my tests and do my work before I play video games, or I stop playing when I feel I need X amount of time to finish my studies. I play video games for entertainment not productivity. Some people I have to say though, need to learn to take things into consideration and change their priorities a little bit! Haha, but that is a different subject.-Jester

Video games aren't a waste of time. You can play video games all day but still be fit as long as you manage your time. Video games are for entertainment. If you really want to get rid of video games, your gona have to get rid of an entire industry and make thousands of people lose their jobs.

I don't think that video games are a waste of time. It's just something to do when you want to relax or you are bored. Different people prefer different kinds of entertainment, some people like to read a book and imagine everything by themselves, some people want to relax passive sleeping or watching TV and some people want to take active part and they do sports. But there is something between passive and active relaxation and its video games. I think that video games are better then movies because you are the main actor in them. You can also learn much just by playing video games, for example I learned most of my English as a kid playing video games, mostly RPGs, which had lots of dialogue text and as a kid you learn really fast. And I was one of the best in English class. I think every type of game gives you something, strategic thinking, better hand-eye coordination, better logic thinking etc. But what is the best thing about video games? You can be anything in a video game, a pilot of F-16, a mighty warrior, a general, a car racer, you can move back in history, move in the future, see worlds which never existed, places you would never think possible and you can be right in the middle of all this. But nothing is black or white and so video games can be bad too. Many people with problems in real life find it easier to spend all their time inside of imaginary worlds where they are the heroes, where they have a feeling of power. Many people mostly children get addicted to video games and its not just fun for them anymore its their second life which can be for them sometimes more important than the real one. For these people video games are really a waste of time and it's real sad to see such people. So my conclusion is that video games are OK if they are not your life.p.s. never start to play mmorpgs (WoW, Guild Wars, Runescape), they are the most addictive type of video games and I know it because I had lots of friends who played them and each one of them got less or more addicted to them and wasted a lot of time on them

Certain video games are preparation for hi-tech warfare. They provide practice for quick and accurate pattern recognition, cognitive friend/foe distinction, and the mentality necessary for killing. They are not designed to make you a better person. They are designed to make you a warrior, immensely prepared for the challenges of intergalactic warfare and conquest, when the day arrives. Remember who we are. Remember that shortly after Columbus proved to himself and Isabella that the world is indeed round, he was followed by invaders who came to conquer, rape, pillage the new world for all they could get. They shot and killed their way from east to west, and in the northern and southern hemispheres. Video games are preparing the next wave of conquistadores for conquest of the first planet they find in outer space. So, teach your children well. History repeats itself.