xisto Community
rovertos

Video Games Are A Complete Waste Of Time, Face It!

hmm., nice topic..i am one of game maniac.i felt something wrong with this hobby.cause my social interaction with my neighbourhood become not good.thats why from now on, I am reduced for playing game., <_<

In my opinion...

Video games are an idea that has been brought into this world, much like the idea of flirting and going to school, video games are just as real, granted they require little or no social interaction with people, but in all fairness, some people don't like social interaction and to say that they are wasting their time doing something that they want to do as opposed to something that you want to do, well if you're saying that then you didn't thought enough about that statement before you posted it here. I love video games, they give you a sense of accomplishment and fairness that you can rarely get, if ever, in most other activities, and in the daily lives of most people where they watch tv and movies and gossip about the news and pop culture and all other kinds of bs going on they, you could hardly say that they are using more brain power than someone who is playing a video game against a human opponent, trying to anticipate their moves while aiming in the right places and maneuvering your character around, people just tend to play games they require little skill thinking or talent and that gives video games as a whole a bad name. If you're playing competitively against other people or youre playing a game which requires strategic planning logic or use of memory then its completely worthwhile, if youre playing games that you just go through the actions then you're better off watching fox.

-reply by Gfys

I am an addicted video games player....BUT...I completely agree, what is the point of playing, i could be revising for my KS3 SATS (U.K) instead.The problem is, people who do play it don't think this, they just turn it on, if they thought about it, what is the point of playing this game, then there is none.I play it because my friends do, i can play with them, which makes it fun and sociable.Take that out of the equation and i'd stop.

Video Games

Replying to --Stealth--

Ok, Sometimes I play a round or two against some opponents after a long day to unwind. Then I get back to work. Thats how it should be, not sitting there all freaking day playing video games. People posting on this forum site is a waste of time, True, But I currently have time to kill. I'm waiting for my computer to render out an animation and burn it to a DVD so I can get a JOB! yes thats right. Making animations will get you a job, not playing video games. I've never seen any employers say "OMG! you're a level 75 Ork on World of Warcraft? and you have the sword of higgy piggies? YOU'RE HIRED!"

And people say that video games help develop skills and such. Thats like saying chocolate helps your heart. While it may be true, eating just chocolate all day long is not going to improve your heart. Such as playing Video games all day is not going to do you any good.

I was a video game addict. I played all the time, but then I slapped myself and realized I wasn't gaining anything with video games and put my time elsewhere.

-reply by Llama

How about.... Everything You Have Ever Tried To Do In Forever Is A Complete Waste Of Time, Face It!Especially reading books, watching movies, having hobbies, it all ends in the same way. Inevitable death. Anything you do will eventually lead to you death. Well done.Your opening argument stated that you shouldn't spend your time doing something massively fun, because you could do something else that's more boring. Unless aforementioned book was "Harry Potter" or anything by Richard Dawkins. What's a good hour and a half compared to 8 hours of critical thinking and strategy. Your argument is invalid, it states that one form of entertainment is a waste of time when another isn't. In what way is anything else better than video games, how can you bond better with your buddies than having a four way bash on Super Smash Bros. Brawl?? Certainly not reading a book. And anyway it doesn't matter what you do with your time, as I stated previously it's all just filler until you die. Which you will. Then you will have no recollection of anything you did when you were alive ever, being dead and all.

That's not entirely true. Sure, video games are a waste of time to some people, but this all depends, I think people should do what they like to do, do whatever you consider to be fun, if playing video games makes you a happy person, then do it. -reply by Annonymous

i dont know...

Well I kinda am addicted 2 them a lil but I can control my self... But people have choices you kno...Ya you can do other things like skateboard ride bikes play outside and stuff but playng 3+ hrs a day could be wasting time...Ok ok guys maybe like 4-5 hrs a day + is toooo much... But people make tons of money like guy made 250000 from a tournament on game boy advance... He also makes $115 an hour for teching people tips and strtegies..So ya =P hope I made a point.. By the way I'm 11...Sooo don't be harsh

-reply by not telling ^^

My opinion - Video games are fun!Wow this has attracted a lot of attention! I think thats its all down to opinion, if you think video games are a waste of time don't play them, but life is supposed to be fun and if you enjoy playing them then why not? why do you have to listen to someone preaching at you that it is a waste of time? Like its been mentioned before, reading books, going to the cinema, playing sports could also be classed as a waste of time but people find them more sociably acceptable whereas video games are frowned upon. I think most of this is due to peoples perception and the pressures of society. For example (kind of), going to work is not good for you, you have to go to earn money so you can pay the rent and eat and buy usless things you do not need, but as you get older your back keeps putting out because you spent 20 years lifting bricks, your feet are all bent and mangled from the bad fitting shoes the company gave you and your hands are shaking due to holding pnuematic drills for so long. But if you dont go to work people look down upon you as its not the societys idea of the right thing to do (and your dole money dosent go very far) I enjoy playing computer games and also like the release they give me from life which i need sometimes. I'm a student and am paying my own way through university. I like going out with my friends and wearing nice things and owning nice things so i go through a lot of money. because of this i end up working between 10 and 40 hours hours a week, but i have high grades and dont want them to suffer so the rest of the time i'm studying hard and fitting in my social life around this. Sometimes at the end of a hard week when my assignments are in and i have a bit of time off work i dont want to do anything except zone out, and computer games give me that realease in a way books, t.v and cinema cannot. books do not give you the visual images you need and t.v and cinema do not distract me very much, i get quite bored watching them, so i find video games really useful. After a playing them i feel less stressed and more relaxed so i can only say their beneficial for me. No doubt there is some improvement to my skills as well, as the more you play the games the better you get at them so some sort of co-ordination must be improved - The hard level on guitar hero on the wii must require a lot of co-ordination!Fair enough going out and playing sports may be more beneficial, better percieved socially and you may get fitter, healthier and happy endorphins or whatever may be released, but some people just aren't sporty and don't want to play sport. you may as well play something you enjoy and live a good life rather than do things just because there supposed to be better and live a rubbish life. The way this topic is phrased is a bit insulting to people who want to play video games, everone is intitled to there own opinion and its not nice to try and force yours into someone elses face.

Self-refuting.

The last statement you made about how it's not nice to force your opinions into someone else's face is a self-refuting statement. Right now you are forcing the belief that it's not nice to force beliefs. Unfortunately, that is unevitable. We all push our opinions on others. It would virtually be impossible to raise children if we didn't.

-reply by Josh Carley

video games r good for you (moderation) and it is a biased society

Finally, I am a kid and I want to have our view put in. I am a keen video game player and I see it as something to look forward to after a hard days school work(year 9). Anyways, I also read lots of books (most fiction) and I think that any one should be able to play as much as they like as long as they don't become obsessed and see it as the be all end all. What I would also like to know is if there is anything actually physically harmful about video games? please email me for answers and queries.

P.S I usually play about 2-3 hours if I have whole free day (with breaks)

And also (yet more) I think our society is extremely biased to what a few people say, social skills improve through multi player(what I play most) and the mind develops through strategic and open minded logic, they just as useful as a book! I write creative writing taking in mind some games such as halo, half life, jericho etc... My mum is very hot on these sort of things (I am only supposed to spend 1:30) so in conclusion (phew) as long as you aren't obsessed and you keep in mind other things to do you should be fine! also there is a stereotype of some geek sitting for hours playing w.O.W we ain't all like that :) I myself am a jock with a girl and proud (woop)

-reply by not your average stereotype gamer

So maybe is waste or time, or maybe not it depends.If you are playing the games for fun then its good,, because you should do everything that makes you happy, but also still know where is the boundary.For me let say if a play one hour then its good, because early years i was plaiyng games more than now because i have some other things to do more than to play games.So for me games are good, after all its fun to do so.

If you're having fun, you can't really say time is being wasted, unless, of course, you think having fun is a waste of time. I think this all depends on your life objective. Do you want to be rich? Then playing games could hinder that life objective. Personally, I just want to live a life where I'm happy, so to me, games are great.