xisto Community
Shadow Knight

Did Dragons Ever Exist?

Oooo, I do not know. :D Kind of hard to say something about a creature that there is evidence of... and then I mean evidence for the type of dragons that we often see or read about in movies, magazines, online and everywhere. But I have never really thought the have existed, just something in my (and everybody else's) imagination. But dragons, I think I have read somewhere that they are a mixture between lizards and snakes, right? Yes, I think that was it. I have never seen a lizard or snake that can blow fire, have you? Naah, did not thing so either. :o So it is very possible that part is just made up. So dragons are not the way many imagine them; large, and fire-breathing. But there may be something in it...I believe something like that maybe did exist, but not in the way some believe. I guess something like it do exist. But like I said; not in the "gigantic and fire-breathing" way.

dragons in the bible

Did Dragons Ever Exist?

HERE IN THE BIBLE ITSELF IS THE DRAGON UNDER THE NAME THAT God RIGHTFULLY GAVE IT THE LEVIANTHAN

Job 40-41 (King James Version)

King James Version (KJV)

Public Domain

Job 40

1Moreover the LORD answered Job, and said,

2Shall he that contendeth with the Almighty instruct him? he that reproveth God, let him answer it.

3Then Job answered the LORD, and said,

4Behold, I am vile; what shall I answer thee? I will lay mine hand upon my mouth.

5Once have I spoken; but I will not answer: yea, twice; but I will proceed no further.

6Then answered the LORD unto Job out of the whirlwind, and said,

7Gird up thy loins now like a man: I will demand of thee, and declare thou unto me.

8Wilt thou also disannul my judgment? wilt thou condemn me, that thou mayest be righteous?

9Hast thou an arm like God? or canst thou thunder with a voice like him?

10Deck thyself now with majesty and excellency; and array thyself with glory and beauty.

11Cast abroad the rage of thy wrath: and behold every one that is proud, and abase him.

12Look on every one that is proud, and bring him low; and tread down the wicked in their place.

13Hide them in the dust together; and bind their faces in secret.

14Then will I also confess unto thee that thine own right hand can save thee.

15Behold now behemoth, which I made with thee; he eateth grass as an ox.

16Lo now, his strength is in his loins, and his force is in the navel of his belly.

17He moveth his tail like a cedar: the sinews of his stones are wrapped together.

18His bones are as strong pieces of brass; his bones are like bars of iron.

19He is the chief of the ways of God: he that made him can make his sword to approach unto him.

20Surely the mountains bring him forth food, where all the beasts of the field play.

21He lieth under the shady trees, in the covert of the reed, and fens.

22The shady trees cover him with their shadow; the willows of the brook compass him about.

23Behold, he drinketh up a river, and hasteth not: he trusteth that he can draw up Jordan into his mouth.

24He taketh it with his eyes: his nose pierceth through snares.

Job 41

1Canst thou draw out leviathan with an hook? or his tongue with a cord which thou lettest down?

2Canst thou put an hook into his nose? or bore his jaw through with a thorn?

3Will he make many supplications unto thee? will he speak soft words unto thee?

4Will he make a covenant with thee? wilt thou take him for a servant for ever?

5Wilt thou play with him as with a bird? or wilt thou bind him for thy maidens?

6Shall the companions make a banquet of him? shall they part him among the merchants?

7Canst thou fill his skin with barbed irons? or his head with fish spears?

8Lay thine hand upon him, remember the battle, do no more.

9Behold, the hope of him is in vain: shall not one be cast down even at the sight of him?

10None is so fierce that dare stir him up: who then is able to stand before me?

11Who hath prevented me, that I should repay him? whatsoever is under the whole heaven is mine.

12I will not conceal his parts, nor his power, nor his comely proportion.

13Who can discover the face of his garment? or who can come to him with his double bridle?

14Who can open the doors of his face? his teeth are terrible round about.

15His scales are his pride, shut up together as with a close seal.

16One is so near to another, that no air can come between them.

17They are joined one to another, they stick together, that they cannot be sundered.

18By his neesings a light doth shine, and his eyes are like the eyelids of the morning.

19Out of his mouth go burning lamps, and sparks of fire leap out.

20Out of his nostrils goeth smoke, as out of a seething pot or caldron.

21His breath kindleth coals, and a flame goeth out of his mouth.

22In his neck remaineth strength, and sorrow is turned into joy before him.

23The flakes of his flesh are joined together: they are firm in themselves; they cannot be moved.

24His heart is as firm as a stone; yea, as hard as a piece of the nether millstone.

25When he raiseth up himself, the mighty are afraid: by reason of breakings they purify themselves.

26The sword of him that layeth at him cannot hold: the spear, the dart, nor the habergeon.

27He esteemeth iron as straw, and brass as rotten wood.

28The arrow cannot make him flee: slingstones are turned with him into stubble.

29Darts are counted as stubble: he laugheth at the shaking of a spear.

30Sharp stones are under him: he spreadeth sharp pointed things upon the mire.

31He maketh the deep to boil like a pot: he maketh the sea like a pot of ointment.

32He maketh a path to shine after him; one would think the deep to be hoary.

33Upon earth there is not his like, who is made without fear.

34He beholdeth all high things: he is a king over all the children of pride.

THERE IS PROF FROM God THIS IS QUTED FROM https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=JOB+40-41&version=KJV;

THE ONLINE BIBLE TY

-reply by carl

I think the whole "dragon" thing depends on what you're talking about. If it's the big things that fly around like what you would see on the movie Shrek, I highly doubt they ever existed. But if you mean like komoto dragons, of course they exist. It's not as "exciting" as what people consider as dragons but judging by the name it is obviously one of them.

Here's a small description of them.

"The Komodo dragon is the world's largest lizard species. It is found mainly on the Indonesian islands of Komodo, Rintja, Padar, and Flores. There are only an estimated 1,000 to 5,000 of these monitor lizards living today. Reaching lengths of up to 3 m or more, and weighing up to 126 kg, these reptiles are swift runners and climbers with great appetites for deer and wild boar.
Although often regarded as pests, they are not a serious menace to humans. In order to protect the dragon, the Indonesian government has made the islands of Padar and Rintja into nature reserves for both the lizard and its prey. Commercial trade in specimens or skins is illegal under the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species."

This was taken from http://nature.ca/notebooks/english/komodo.htm

Some people were mentioning a documentary that was on Discovery channel a while back--I think I know the one they're talking about. I thought it was cool that they were able to show that there was a possibility a flying, firebreathing creature could exist. Even though the bones they "found" weren't real--- well, it coulda fooled me. We know for sure that there were dinosaurs, so who's to say that dragons couldn't have been a type of one? I'm all for saying yes, they exist. ^^

It is possible that dragons existed around dinosaur times, just that possibly no scientist has ever found a bone of a dragon. [or maybe they have and just want to keep it secret :D] That is my theory :D

I'm also on the dinosaur bandwagon here.... I figure, something like them could have existed (though I don't believe they would have breathed fire lol...) I'm just thinking that they were dinosaurs, or something that was a decendent of them, since the time of dinosaurs was over by the time humans existed for the tales of the knights that battled them. But then again, maybe they lived before human times too, because there are also tales of humans finding the lost world and battling dinosaurs. Maybe it's all just a big story.Though it's strange that they've not really found any bones or fossils from dragons. Because they've found so many from other types of creatures that have lived in the past, I would have thought that they'd have found some bones to prove of the dragons existence.It's a tough question, but still an interesting one to think about. I just wish that we could get a real solid proof that there was or wasn't dragons. Mind you, I think it's next to impossible to prove that something doesn't exist, so we'd have to keep believing until some kind of proof was found.

dragons did exist!!

Did Dragons Ever Exist?

They did exist coz my uncle is a scientist and they have real dragon bones in the lab and they have a load of armed gaurds on the doors. The dragon they have found is believed to be a fire breathing dragon known as 'islatem ' dragon. They will be publishing the photos in the next few months.The bones were found in a cave in wales.

-reply by koolkat

Do dragons exist?

Did Dragons Ever Exist?

Yes,look at the komodo dragon now whiether or not the dragon we imagine today is a evolution or the komodo dragon or vise versa but my theory is that dragons the one we think of were the first and the lack of need to fly eventually lead to the evolution of a smaller wingspand and eventually led to the look of no wings or the komodo dragon. As for breathing fire it is thought by people that when they ate they digested the food in the first stomach and went through a special stomach which contained a special acid to turn the food into a hydrogen like gas and when needed emptying or for defending itself it would push the gas out and the friction of the gas spilling out of tubes at the side or top of the mouth created a spark which when surrounded by gas ingnites. A modern display of this is holding a match in front of a cows natural stored gas burp it lights and would make a impressice flame

-reply by Dragonwhisperer

Dragons really do exist these days, they sleep all winter and roar in the sky during summer. When its time to go up in the sky, they kinda swirl in the mist from their cave to sky. Many people in tibet says they have seen such animal soaring in the sky but very vague since they tend to stay in the mist.Even my dad says dragons exist, and there are some rumors that people can die if they see the dragon but idk about that.Its body is similar to snake and has four legs.They sleep all winter undergroud.Trust me, I'm not some retarded kid...I might go to tibet and Search for dragons...Its not a myth after all guys. Dragons are alive! :o8-18-08. I'm a Tibetan.-reply by Tenzin

Could the Komodo dragons be in a sort of evolution line?

Dragon with wings and also breathe fire>>>

Dragons with NO wings that breathes fire >>>

Dragon with NO wings and doesnt breathe fire (Komodo)

It could be an evolution line. Or travellers could have seen a Komodo dragon in a desert (whever theyre found) and possible saw a mirage which appeared it breathing fire.

If that were true, it would be pretty cool if the Komodo Dragons could somehow evolve back to original dragons with wings and fire-breathers. Then the Dragons could like make new species, somehow, and it could be like modern back then!! Then we could go to war with Dragons and Dinosaurs~!!

Dragons in their movie like sense do not exist, nor have they ever.There are "dragons" though, such as the Komoto Dragon. So it all really depends on what form of dragon you're speaking of.If you're talking about Shrek style, there never have been, :)

I aggree with truefusion, how can anyone ever breathe fire? fire is the chemical reaction that consumes oxygen, and breathing is the kreb cycle that has ocygen for input and carbon oxyde and atp for output so breathing fire is a paradox.
dragons exists just as much as gods do. only in your imagination, not in the past, and they are not related to reptiles! or dinosaurs!

Dragons can fly and they are MAGIC. they are an archetype and have a meaning on itself, they are SUBJECTIVE and you can't bring it up in an adult conversation specially in your work or family environment, or any kind or religious congregation you take seriously anough to have any political influence because dragons is crazy talk. if you meet someone carrying a bag of dice, that's the person you go discuss dragons with. or perhaps a psychology student or the internet.

Now the komodo dragon isnt that a weird thing to look at. disgusting poisonous saliva, can run fast, lives up to a 100, is red, I wouldnt have it as a pet, I preffer cats.

but if the dragon in question wa like atreyu's dragon in that movie about the book-- neverending stoy, oh i cant remember that cute dog face white dragon, i want one of those.

Dragons really do exist these days, they sleep all winter and roar in the sky during summer. When its time to go up in the sky, they kinda swirl in the mist from their cave to sky. Many people in tibet says they have seen such animal soaring in the sky but very vague since they tend to stay in the mist.

from what i've seen in TV, people in tibet wear orange, have no hair and MEDITATE ALL DAY afcourse they see dragons, they probably see god too.

duh ofcourse dragons existed they still do thats why we have knights in shining armor lol nah but comodo dragon is a huge lizard and thats a dragon its pretty cool too i seen them they scary i sure wouldnt want to be in a one on one fight with one of them creatures as for breathing fire yeaa i dont think soo.

A huge lizard which can fly and squirts out fire from it's mouth? Is it just me or does that sound impossible. Of course their not real, their probably slightly based on an animal which is around today. The person who invented dragons must of seen a lizard and a bird tat day and put the two together, to add some spice he gave the dragon the ability to breath fire. Maybe it wasn't even him, the guy who invented the flying lizard, maybe someone else added the ability to blow fire out it's mouth.There isn't an ounce of evidence to support the existence of dragons, their just made-believe.